Some more info, maybe, on next season's team

parkj19

May 15th, 2018, 10:29 pm #1

Given the rumors and bad info that sometimes flies about (like the misinformation in one news story about Tavrion Dawson being a senior this coming year), maybe we have to take this article a few days ago in the Los Angeles Daily News with a grain of salt, until we have the CSUN athletics office tell us something officially.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/05/11/wh ... h-knowing/

The article, however, does provide a few gems, right or wrong, it's hard to say. Namely:

1. Gottfried has gotten six recruits since coming here. Okay, who's the Sixth Man? We know about Darius Brown II, Brendon Harrick, Elijah Harkless, Rodney 'Rocket' Henderson, and Michael Ou, but who is number six?  

2. Jim Harrick is his top assistant. (First time I've seen that as a definite statement rather than a projection of what might happen).

3. Ex-Clipper (among 7 NBA teams) Mo Williams is also on the 'staff' (no mention of his position). He had been rumored elsewhere as a possible ast. coach.

4. The rumored new campus arena seems to be more likely to happen in the relatively near future (rather than a distant dream), financed by funding (most of which has undoubtedly not yet been raised, as they haven't even formally started a campaign), and a student referendum on fees that might lead to student fees partially supporting it (which explains the one day, four hour roll out a week or two ago on campus, which someone in the athletics office told me was an information meeting for students, to gauge support for a new arena). Both Gottfried (no surprise) and President Dianne Harrison (also no surprise) are strongly in favor of getting it built soon.

Is the sixth man Tavrion Dawson? Recruited by Gottfried as a grad transfer, with truly one year of eligibility left? Too hard to believe, don't want to start a rumor (I have no evidence of this at all)....would be nice, though.

Okay, so when is the athletic department going to inform us of some of these things, instead of finding out through the Los Angeles Daily News? 
It is likely that most of this information is true, as a link to the article is posted on a main CSUN site:
https://www.csun.edu/node/236451

I've called the Athletic Dept. to try to get them to confirm the recruits and get some information out on what is happening....the turnover of men's basketball staff (and no A.D.) has slowed this from happening. I'd encourage others to call them and try to put some pressure on them to post some information for the fans, students, alumni and others.

May 16th, 2018, 11:04 am #2

Just asked Whicker via twitter, and a few other reporters. Real curious if that was a typo or not. Dawson back would be great though. 

If we didn't have any guards, I'd be hoping for Tyree Winborn. Jack Eyman maybe? 

NorRidgLum

May 16th, 2018, 11:37 am #3

Good article.  I remember a time when the Daily News wouldn't touch us with a ten foot pole.  As for the accuracy of the existence of a "sixth" recruit.  I looked at VerbalCommit to see what they say about a "sixth" recruit.  But they are still showing the same five new recruits: Henderson, D. Brown, Harkless, Harrick and Ou.  But there is a bit of an oddity with Mason Johnson. According to Verbal Commit, he has left the team. I'll remove him from my '18-'19 roster (in a different thread) when his status is corroborated from a secondary source.  Also, FWIW, Diane grew an inch and Pearre grew two inches.

NorRidgLum

May 16th, 2018, 1:11 pm #4

I did a quick Wikipedia search on Mo Williams to see what "skill set" he brings to the coaching staff.  A 6' 1" Point Guard who put up decent numbers in 818 games played during 15 seasons in the NBA.  Williams's college basketball tenure, at the University of Alabama, was much more stellar. As a freshman in 2002, Williams started every game at point guard, went to the Big Dance in 2002 and 2003, then after his sophomore season he made it to the NBA.  And another interesting little fact is that Gottfried was Williams' Coach back at the University of Alabama.  It appears that Gottfried is creating a coaching staff that already has years of experience working together.

csunfoley

May 16th, 2018, 4:43 pm #5

Nice find Parkj - definitely good to hear about Williams. He will bring some real cred to the staff. I hope the returning players are excited. I imagine the mystery recruit will be revealed eventually (coaches cant comment on commitments until they sign, but that doesnt mean they cant drop a dime to VC).

May 16th, 2018, 5:13 pm #6

If the Mo Williams hire is true, it's going to be great. I've seen Mo at a few AAU tournaments (hoping again this weekend at the Gauntlet). Definitely a solid scouting hire. 

parkj19

May 16th, 2018, 8:46 pm #7

NorRidgLum wrote: Good article.  I remember a time when the Daily News wouldn't touch us with a ten foot pole.  As for the accuracy of the existence of a "sixth" recruit.  I looked at VerbalCommit to see what they say about a "sixth" recruit.  But they are still showing the same five new recruits: Henderson, D. Brown, Harkless, Harrick and Ou.  But there is a bit of an oddity with Mason Johnson. According to Verbal Commit, he has left the team. I'll remove him from my '18-'19 roster (in a different thread) when his status is corroborated from a secondary source.  Also, FWIW, Diane grew an inch and Pearre grew two inches.
At least, by my count of Verbal Comitts, we have only 12 scholarships out, with one more to be given (which could be the one given to the mystery sixth recruit?).

May 16th, 2018, 10:31 pm #8

I still think it's Jacob Eyman, who fills a very big hole in the post.

parkj19

May 17th, 2018, 12:04 am #9

qrich.clippers wrote: I still think it's Jacob Eyman, who fills a very big hole in the post.
Hope you're right.