Oregon State's Pat Casey announces his retirement

GauchoFreg

September 6th, 2018, 2:28 pm #1

Oregon State's Pat Casey, coming off his third CWS championship, is retiring.  Of course this could impact Big West baseball as this will be a coveted position.

UCSB's Andy Checketts is from Oregon, played for and graduated from Oregon State.  He also was an assistant coach for three seasons for the Oregon Ducks.
Perhaps the last couple down seasons for the Gauchos have lowered his profile but I imagine he'll apply and still be given a look.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... retirement

BeefEater2
Legend

September 6th, 2018, 3:14 pm #2

I know a Hall of Fame coach who is available. 😉

GauchoFreg

September 6th, 2018, 3:18 pm #3

BeefEater2 wrote: I know a Hall of Fame coach who is available. 😉
You're referring to Tommy Lasorda, of course.

tshoitnshorts

September 6th, 2018, 5:09 pm #4

Geezus christ the timing of this screams pompous ass.

NCAA gotta stipulate that for baseball, once the school year starts in Fall, schools losing their head coaches temporarily promote from within for at least through the current season or hire someone currently not in any Div 1 baseball program. The timing of this retirement is ridiculous.

Eatersto1
Legend

September 6th, 2018, 5:42 pm #5

tshoitnshorts wrote: Geezus christ the timing of this screams pompous ass.

NCAA gotta stipulate that for baseball, once the school year starts in Fall, schools losing their head coaches temporarily promote from within for at least through the current season or hire someone currently not in any Div 1 baseball program. The timing of this retirement is ridiculous.
Is it?

September 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm #6

tshoitnshorts wrote: Geezus christ the timing of this screams pompous ass.

"Oregon State associate head coach Pat Bailey will serve as interim coach of the Beavers. The team will conduct a national search for a replacement following the next season".

tshoitnshorts

September 6th, 2018, 9:30 pm #7

I didn't see the bottom half of the article under the coach's picture. I'm taking back the pompous ass comment. It's the right thing to do.