New Rules for 2019

July 20th, 2018, 5:07 pm #1

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/arti ... ecommended

NCAA.com 
Last Updated - Jul 20, 2018 16:19 EDT

The NCAA Baseball Rules Committee proposed adding two visible 20-second play clocks for all Division I baseball games, starting with the 2019 season.

Division II and Division III would be required to have two play clocks by the 2020 season.

All rules changes must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to review potential baseball rules changes Aug. 15.

Under the proposal, the 20-second play clock would start once the pitcher steps on the dirt portion of the mound with the baseball. If the pitcher does not deliver a pitch, make a pick-off throw to a base or step off the pitcher’s rubber before the clock expires, a ball will be assessed to the count. If the batter is not ready to hit by the time the clock expires, a strike will be added to the count.

One clock would be placed in the home plate area, and the other would be located in or behind the outfield wall. 
The committee also proposed having a two-minute time limit after each half-inning. The clock would start after the third out is recorded. The current rule calls for play to begin 90 seconds after the last fielder crosses into foul territory. 

The following plays will be reviewable by the crew chief at his discretion or with the use of a coach’s challenge:

Deciding if a batted ball is fair or foul. The ball must first touch the ground or a fielder beyond the initial position of the first or third baseman.

Deciding if a batted ball is either a ground-rule double or a home run.

Any catch or no-catch ruling in the outfield or foul territory.

A no-catch ruling in the infield in some instances. With runners on base, a no catch within the infield can be changed to a catch only if it results in a third out. With no runners on base, a no catch within the infield can be changed to a catch at any time.

Spectator interference.

Deciding scoring plays at home plate inclusive of collisions (illegal and/or malicious slides) or time plays.

The following plays will be reviewable only by a coach’s challenge or at the crew chief’s discretion beginning in the last two innings of regulation and extra innings:

Force and tag-play calls at any base.

Calls involving whether a base runner passes a preceding runner; determining whether a base runner scored ahead of a third out; and upon an appropriate appeal by the defensive team, determining whether a base runner touched a base.

Plays involving hit by pitch.

Deciding if a runner failed to retouch a base after a fair or foul ball is legally caught.

The umpire’s placement of runners following a boundary call.

Deciding if interference occurred on a runner’s attempt to break up a double play.

Eatersto1
Legend

July 20th, 2018, 6:25 pm #2

Sounds like chaos

tshoitnshorts

July 22nd, 2018, 7:22 pm #3

Having to reset that 20 second clock every time before each pitch...in a 9-inning game, that's a full-time job in itself. Guarns ball bearins' some umpire is going to call time for someone to reset a darn 20-second clock and the delay in game will be more than 20-seconds!

How about just having the first base umpire announce a 20-sec countdown before each pitch, loud and clear.

tshoitnshorts

July 23rd, 2018, 4:29 am #4

Agree 100%, college baseball is becoming chaotic. The Committee wants to quicken the game while implementing adaptations from football and basketball. Let's just cut to the chase --

1. All games will be 7 innings, both single contests and doubleheaders. In the event a game cannot be completed, 5 innings is an official regulation game for record purposes.

2. No game shall start after 5:59 p.m. local standard time. This will likely assure a last out by 8:30 p.m. (local standard time) and to ensure that games played in Hawaii start on the same calendar day as the contiguous U.S.

3. No challenges (but coaches can still argue calls), no clocks, no automatic first base for an intended walk, no reviews of plays, etc., and no designated hitter. I want to see the pitcher swing a bat.

Uh Oh

July 23rd, 2018, 8:42 am #5

Ugh.  I'm still of the belief that the umpires can move along the game for a steady pace without adding these types of measures.  Unnecessary delays get a warning.  More delays go to manager ejection.  That's enough for me.

Eatersto1
Legend

July 23rd, 2018, 10:29 am #6

tshoitnshorts wrote: Agree 100%, college baseball is becoming chaotic. The Committee wants to quicken the game while implementing adaptations from football and basketball. Let's just cut to the chase --

1. All games will be 7 innings, both single contests and doubleheaders. In the event a game cannot be completed, 5 innings is an official regulation game for record purposes.

2. No game shall start after 5:59 p.m. local standard time. This will likely assure a last out by 8:30 p.m. (local standard time) and to ensure that games played in Hawaii start on the same calendar day as the contiguous U.S.

3. No challenges (but coaches can still argue calls), no clocks, no automatic first base for an intended walk, no reviews of plays, etc., and no designated hitter. I want to see the pitcher swing a bat.
Softball route? Great now there can be doubleheaders everyday of the weekend!

tshoitnshorts

August 4th, 2018, 12:52 pm #7

I only found out recently that the minor leagues implemented in extra innings the "player at 2nd base" rule (that I first heard about at the 2015 Universiade Games in Gwanju City). Evidentally it's an accepted practice in some international baseball leagues, softball and now minor league baseball.

How soon before a bulb dimly flickers in some member's head sitting on the NCAA Baseball Rules Committee? smh

When a baseball rule change is discussed in a reputable golf magazine (and not because it improves the game) you know baseball is floundering like a fish out of water. Baseball...I hardly know you anymore.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/is-thi ... s-next/amp

August 16th, 2018, 6:20 pm #8

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/arti ... m-approved

Kendall Rogers 
@KendallRogers 
8 hours ago
DEFEATED:
• A proposal to make a 20-second pitch clock mandatory in all of Division I Baseball was rejected.
• Expanding the 20-second pitch click with runners on base was rejected.
• An ejection/one-game suspension for entering field of play/your position was referred back
BREAKING: The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved allowing coaches to have two challenges per game in Division I Baseball — if the technology is available. Great news for college baseball.
MORE:
• You now may not make a move to be intentionally HBP. If you do, a strike is called.
• Teams are now limited to six defensive conferences per game.
• Any ruling on an intentionally hit batter cannot be argued.
Last edited by FullertonBaseballFan on August 16th, 2018, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eatersto1
Legend

August 16th, 2018, 6:23 pm #9

FullertonBaseballFan wrote: Kendall Rogers 
@KendallRogers 
8 hours ago
DEFEATED:
• A proposal to make a 20-second pitch clock mandatory in all of Division I Baseball was rejected.
• An ejection/one-game suspension for entering field of play/your position was referred back
BREAKING: The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved allowing coaches to have two challenges per game in Division I Baseball — if the technology is available. Great news for college baseball.
MORE:
• You now may not make a move to be intentionally HBP. If you do, a strike is called.

Most college baseball is not televised or streamed. I find this pretty useless and unfair.

August 16th, 2018, 6:26 pm #10

Eatersto1 wrote:
FullertonBaseballFan wrote: Kendall Rogers 
@KendallRogers 
8 hours ago
DEFEATED:
MORE:

Most college baseball is not televised or streamed. I find this pretty useless and unfair.
What the SEC wants, the SEC gets.......

You think life is fair in D1 athletics?