Eatersto1
Legend

4:25 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #131

Highlights from a couple of games that will feature our last 2 opponents.

Russia edged Korea it seems.

And Korea blew out Chinese Taipei

Eatersto1
Legend

12:42 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #132

POSTCARDS FROM SOUTH KOREA: MAX HAZZARD'S TRIP FAVORITES

Max Hazzard:
I am having a phenomenal time here in South Korea and in the city of Seoul. It is amazing to be able to travel outside of the country as a team and experience all of this together. There are many positive things we will take away from this trip on and off of the court. Some of my favorite places that we've been to so far were two really good Korean BBQ restaurants.

The people are very friendly, and always have a big smile on their faces. The language barrier is something that I had to get used to. Asking for simple, everyday things can be difficult and I find myself looking up a lot of translations.

In terms of activities, we went to a professional baseball game which was a ton of fun. The atmosphere of these professional games compared to the MLB is very different due to interactions with the fans. The home team makes as much noise as they can WHILE their team is at bat which is VERY different from the MLB. Overall, I am having an amazing time on this trip and am very grateful. 

UCIEATER

2:50 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #133

BeefEater2 wrote: Those are some great pictures from the trip.

Just from the little bit I can see, Brad Greene really looks chiseled. Man, what a transformation from when he arrived as a freshman. Also, like Dino said, Welp must have increased his vertical quite a bit from last year. He had very little explosion in high school.

Just my two cents on Welp as a prospect: his skills and mental side of the game were far more advanced than his physical development. So, he's the kind of player who will benefit tremendously from the redshirt and continued strength and conditioning.
Very much agree on Welp.
If him and Butler crack the rotation (which I think is realistic) we may be looking at a 10 man rotation. That's a big number.

Eatersto1
Legend

3:00 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #134

UCIEATER wrote:

Just from the little bit I can see, Brad Greene really looks chiseled. Man, what a transformation from when he arrived as a freshman. Also, like Dino said, Welp must have increased his vertical quite a bit from last year. He had very little explosion in high school.

Just my two cents on Welp as a prospect: his skills and mental side of the game were far more advanced than his physical development. So, he's the kind of player who will benefit tremendously from the redshirt and continued strength and conditioning.
Very much agree on Welp.
If him and Butler crack the rotation (which I think is realistic) we may be looking at a 10 man rotation. That's a big number.
There could be potential for a bigger than 10 man rotation if Turner decides to play all his big men and should foul problems arise.
That's 6 in the front court

And then you have Worku, Cartwright, Rivers / Leonard, Hazzard / Edgar Jr, Traylor, Butler
Potentially 14, which will be a lot.

I think Turner is using this tournament to find a way to maximize playing time for a potentially large rotation if that is plausible during the regular season.

Eatersto1
Legend

3:15 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #135

Current standings
1. USA 3-0
2. Russia 3-1
3. Philippines 2-2
4. Japan 2-2
5. S Korea 1-2
6. Chinese Taipei 0-4
I believe positioning is based off point difference.
UCI can clinch a medal tonight with a win over Chinese Taipei. Expect the styles to be similar to S Korea and Japan.
UCI will still have to run the table to win outright.

UCIEATER

6:26 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #136

Eatersto1 wrote:
UCIEATER wrote:

Very much agree on Welp.
There could be potential for a bigger than 10 man rotation if Turner decides to play all his big men and should foul problems arise.
That's 6 in the front court

And then you have Worku, Cartwright, Rivers / Leonard, Hazzard / Edgar Jr, Traylor, Butler
Potentially 14, which will be a lot.

I think Turner is using this tournament to find a way to maximize playing time for a potentially large rotation if that is plausible during the regular season.
My guess right now for the rotation/depth char is below. But I'm sure a lot will change throughout the season and RT will be looking to shorten the rotation come conference play.

Worku/Cartwright
Leonard/Hazzard
Edgar Jr./ Butler
Tommy/Jones/Welp
Gallo/Greene

Eatersto1
Legend

11:07 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #137

Another hot start 14-2

gouci
Legend

11:17 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #138

This is the best place for Gallo to work on his offense.

Eatersto1
Legend

11:19 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #139

Eaters not as enthusiastic tonight. lot of missed shots turnovers and fouls
lead Chinese Taipei 21-15 after 1

Gallo aggressive on offense. Edgar continues to look good

Eatersto1
Legend

11:25 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #140

UCI continues to make mistakes and not aggressive on d. looks like they are struggling against the zone lead 27-21