Interesting Article about Mid-Major Scheduling Strategies

ThreePoints
Member
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 10:07 am

July 11th, 2018, 4:37 pm #1

https://deadspin.com/a-college-basketba ... 1826990796

Interesting read.  Probably wouldn't help the BW get any additional teams into the tournament, but it could raise the seed of the one team that does get in.
Quote
Like
Share

Peter1
Member
Peter1
Member
Joined: July 15th, 2017, 10:50 am

July 12th, 2018, 10:51 am #2

I think I get it.

In the BWC we are playing 16 conference games.
So, somewhere after playing 11-12 conference games, you seed the top teams and the bottom (assume) teams and schedule a mini tournament...top playing top
and bottom playing bottom teams for the remaining 4-5 conference games?
Right?

Not sure I like it.

My take on the NCAA MBB Tournament to level the field.

This is real ALL ABOUT $$$.
Divide the profit proceeds from the NCAA MBB Tournament equally among the some 32 conferences and stop this "win for profit" crap.

Sure the two teams that make it into the championship game to get,...say some cash bonus,...OK.

This is like any collegiate (except FB) sport,...playing for pride and the right to celebrate a championship.
And, I agree, it is a 'cartel',...legal or otherwise.
Quote
Like
Share

BeefEater2
Legend
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 4:57 pm

July 12th, 2018, 11:00 am #3

ThreePoints wrote: https://deadspin.com/a-college-basketba ... 1826990796

Interesting read.  Probably wouldn't help the BW get any additional teams into the tournament, but it could raise the seed of the one team that does get in.
It seems like a good idea to me. What have they got to lose by trying it? At least they are making an effort, instead of just complaining about how impossible it is to get a fair non conference schedule.
Quote
Like
Share

Eatersto1
Legend
Joined: June 2nd, 2013, 9:01 pm

July 12th, 2018, 11:41 am #4

it sounds very similar to UEFA Nation's league, it has a chance to work.

A lot of international sports have a system to manipulate scheduling where the best play the best and so on.

But essentially separating teams into divisions after a portion of the season and then grouping the best to play among the best and the worst to play among the worst to determine who will be worthy of getting in the conference tournament rewards the best teams and I think would be better if there was a promotion or relegation included too. (If you finish at the bottom of your group, you get relegated and if you finish at the top, you get promoted).
Quote
Like
Share

GauchoFreg
Member
Joined: March 29th, 2007, 6:22 pm

July 12th, 2018, 3:49 pm #5

I think it is a brilliant idea and to echo the quote in the story and Beefeater, its not like status quo is working for mid-majors.
There will be griping, especially by the 5th place team left out of the round-robin but there will always be griping.

I do agree with Peter in that the system is rigged and equally distributing the $$ rewards in an amateur sport would go a long ways to bring back fairness.  Or, stop the pretending, remove the amateur status, pay the athletes and keep the winning to make money status that exists now.
Quote
Like
Share

Eatersto1
Legend
Joined: June 2nd, 2013, 9:01 pm

July 12th, 2018, 4:26 pm #6

GauchoFreg wrote: I think it is a brilliant idea and to echo the quote in the story and Beefeater, its not like status quo is working for mid-majors.
There will be griping, especially by the 5th place team left out of the round-robin but there will always be griping.

I do agree with Peter in that the system is rigged and equally distributing the $$ rewards in an amateur sport would go a long ways to bring back fairness.  Or, stop the pretending, remove the amateur status, pay the athletes and keep the winning to make money status that exists now.
Could also begin all the talk on how US soccer sucks too. Because of the rigged and corrupted system of the NCAA.
Quote
Like
Share

jdgaucho
Member
Joined: June 2nd, 2012, 10:39 am

July 12th, 2018, 5:20 pm #7

C-USA has 14 members. It's a little easier for them to pull this off because they have too many members for a full round robin.

I don't think the BW can implement something similar after UCSD and Bakersfield join in 2020 unless we decide NOT to play 20 conference games. I can't see the coaches giving up a full round robin.
"Braswell was ghetto.  Theus is GQ." - LordNordhoff
Quote
Like
Share

Eatersto1
Legend
Joined: June 2nd, 2013, 9:01 pm

July 12th, 2018, 5:25 pm #8

jdgaucho wrote: C-USA has 14 members.  It's a little easier for them to pull this off because they have too many members for a full round robin.

I don't think the BW can implement something similar after UCSD and Bakersfield join in 2020 unless we decide NOT to play 20 conference games.  I can't see the coaches giving up a full round robin.
With 11 members, you can do either top 4 and the rest or top 5 and the rest.
Quote
Like
Share

BeefEater2
Legend
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 4:57 pm

July 13th, 2018, 8:12 am #9

jdgaucho wrote: C-USA has 14 members.  It's a little easier for them to pull this off because they have too many members for a full round robin.

I don't think the BW can implement something similar after UCSD and Bakersfield join in 2020 unless we decide NOT to play 20 conference games.  I can't see the coaches giving up a full round robin.
They would have to be willing to sacrifice round robin scheduling. No sacrifice, nothing gained. So, I ask, what is so terribly important about preserving round robin? God forbid some teams don't play each other twice every year! (especially when it means having to play the bad teams)
Quote
Like
Share

Eatersto1
Legend
Joined: June 2nd, 2013, 9:01 pm

July 13th, 2018, 11:02 am #10

BeefEater2 wrote:
jdgaucho wrote: C-USA has 14 members.  It's a little easier for them to pull this off because they have too many members for a full round robin.

I don't think the BW can implement something similar after UCSD and Bakersfield join in 2020 unless we decide NOT to play 20 conference games.  I can't see the coaches giving up a full round robin.
They would have to be willing to sacrifice round robin scheduling. No sacrifice, nothing gained. So, I ask, what is so terribly important about preserving round robin? God forbid some teams don't play each other twice every year! (especially when it means having to play the bad teams)
Look at our own conference's cutthroat WSOC. Play once a season either away or home, win, lose or draw. You get once chance in the regular season at that opponent.
Quote
Like
Share