Goal is to make NCAA Tournament and Advance!

dinoeater

September 14th, 2018, 8:40 am #1

It looks like Coach Turner is very confident in this team's potential to be successful.

Here's his quote from his radio interview with Trent Rush: "We want to not just make the NCAA Tournament.... Our goal goes beyond that. I want to make the NCAA Tournament and advance." I assume he's not talking about advancing from the play in game.

This team is probably the deepest we've had since I've been following UCI. The most room for improvement is turnover margin, 3 point shooting from Worku and Edgar, offense from Galloway, Jones free throw shooting, and fewer early fouls committed by Rutherford. We'll also need to see how the new players (Cartwright, Krause, Butler, Welp, Ruddell, and Rivers returning from injury) fit into the already deep rotation.

Eatersto1
Legend

September 14th, 2018, 6:54 pm #2

dinoeater wrote: It looks like Coach Turner is very confident in this team's potential to be successful.

Here's his quote from his radio interview with Trent Rush: "We want to not just make the NCAA Tournament.... Our goal goes beyond that. I want to make the NCAA Tournament and advance." I assume he's not talking about advancing from the play in game.

This team is probably the deepest we've had since I've been following UCI. The most room for improvement is turnover margin, 3 point shooting from Worku and Edgar, offense from Galloway, Jones free throw shooting, and fewer early fouls committed by Rutherford. We'll also need to see how the new players (Cartwright, Krause, Butler, Welp, Ruddell, and Rivers returning from injury) fit into the already deep rotation.
I think a lot of people may have been surprised at the results from the Korea trip, or everyone completely overestimated the strength of the opponents.
But I think there were a lot of good things that occurred in that tournament that should give Turner the confidence he has on this goal.
And to complete a schedule that is decent but not too hard also boosts confidence that we have an opportunity to win every game if not most on the schedule.

Some question marks would be for the returning players who did not play this summer: Leonard, Hazzard, Traylor, Rivers. Those are all important names who didn't play in Korea and if the team is able to play like they did in Korea plus the 4 being 100% and being able to contribute meaningfully with offseason improvement, who knows what this team can achieve?

UCIEATER

September 15th, 2018, 12:31 pm #3

Coach said it himself in the interview, that this could be the best team he's coached at UCI, and that is big praise. You hit it on the head Dino as far as the main things we need to improve on. I would add defending the 3 ball in there as well. If everyone takes that step up in improving their game like they did last season, and the incoming players look as polished as they did in Korea, we could be scary this year and next.

Eatersto1
Legend

September 17th, 2018, 11:26 am #4

3 point defense would be a key as Turner already has a strong set defense system on 2 point defense.
There were still some issues in Korea on 3 point defense, such as continuing to foul shooters which needs to be fixed.
They did a lot better rebounding in zone in Korea which is good.
If they can improve the perimeter defense as well as continue to hold well in 2 point defense, the team should be hard to score on.
Then it's all about working on offense.

BeefEater2
Legend

September 18th, 2018, 8:34 am #5

From what I understand, the team sets goals at the beginning of every season. The goals are supposed to be lofty, but realistic. So, if Turner announces that the goal is to reach the NCAAT and advance, it's most likely that he is sharing with the public what the team is already talking about. I doubt he is just talking extemporaneously. 

The risk with making these remarks is that it may set expectations among fans to the level of the goal. So, if they don't hit the mark, there will be a lot of disappointment. Personally, I am not expecting it, because there are probably going to be several other good teams in BWC and getting to the tournament out of the BWC always tends to involve a certain amount of luck. But, I do expect this to be one of Turner's better teams and I expect it to be a good season with some post-season invitational tournament participation at the end of it. 

It's still pretty early, but I will take a guess at this team being somewhere in the #75 to #125 range (in overall Pomeroy rank) and more likely Top 100 than not.  

Eatersto1
Legend

September 18th, 2018, 10:42 am #6

BeefEater2 wrote: From what I understand, the team sets goals at the beginning of every season. The goals are supposed to be lofty, but realistic. So, if Turner announces that the goal is to reach the NCAAT and advance, it's most likely that he is sharing with the public what the team is already talking about. I doubt he is just talking extemporaneously. 

The risk with making these remarks is that it may set expectations among fans to the level of the goal. So, if they don't hit the mark, there will be a lot of disappointment. Personally, I am not expecting it, because there are probably going to be several other good teams in BWC and getting to the tournament out of the BWC always tends to involve a certain amount of luck. But, I do expect this to be one of Turner's better teams and I expect it to be a good season with some post-season invitational tournament participation at the end of it. 

It's still pretty early, but I will take a guess at this team being somewhere in the #75 to #125 range (in overall Pomeroy rank) and more likely Top 100 than not.  
I think we'll find out week 1 + exhibition whether the team is top 100 worthy.

BeefEater2
Legend

September 18th, 2018, 5:12 pm #7

Eatersto1 wrote:
BeefEater2 wrote: From what I understand, the team sets goals at the beginning of every season. The goals are supposed to be lofty, but realistic. So, if Turner announces that the goal is to reach the NCAAT and advance, it's most likely that he is sharing with the public what the team is already talking about. I doubt he is just talking extemporaneously. 

Yeah, probably. It's usually pretty obvious from the start if the team is going to be really good or merely above average. I think it is very unlikely that the team will not be at least above average. There is too much collective experience and evident offseason individual improvement to expect less than that. The little bit I saw from Seoul gives me some confidence that the team will take a step forward from last season.

Turner's best teams (if we go by Pomeroy rankings) were

2014 (#90)
2015 (#91)
2016 (#84)

I am guessing this team will be somewhere in the same neighborhood. We could call those the Mamadou/Nelson/Young teams, since they were top players all three years. This squad gets has a chance to put their own stamp on the record books. Other than Galloway's backup role (and a few garbage minutes by Rivers) nobody on this squad was a contributor to those teams. 

I admit this is pretty nerdy way to look at it, but if this team can finish in the Top 80, that would make them, arguably, Turner's best team. Of course, the big goal is to make the tournament and then win a game. 

Eatersto1
Legend

September 18th, 2018, 5:49 pm #8

BeefEater2 wrote:
Eatersto1 wrote:

Yeah, probably. It's usually pretty obvious from the start if the team is going to be really good or merely above average. I think it is very unlikely that the team will not be at least above average. There is too much collective experience and evident offseason individual improvement to expect less than that. The little bit I saw from Seoul gives me some confidence that the team will take a step forward from last season.

2014 (#90)
2015 (#91)
2016 (#84)

I am guessing this team will be somewhere in the same neighborhood. We could call those the Mamadou/Nelson/Young teams, since they were top players all three years. This squad gets has a chance to put their own stamp on the record books. Other than Galloway's backup role (and a few garbage minutes by Rivers) nobody on this squad was a contributor to those teams. 

I admit this is pretty nerdy way to look at it, but if this team can finish in the Top 80, that would make them, arguably, Turner's best team. Of course, the big goal is to make the tournament and then win a game. 
The goal is to get to the NCAAT and advance not win a game :)

BeefEater2
Legend

September 18th, 2018, 7:06 pm #9

Eatersto1 wrote:
BeefEater2 wrote:
Eatersto1 wrote:

2014 (#90)
2015 (#91)
2016 (#84)

The goal is to get to the NCAAT and advance not win a game :)
OK, good point. "Advance" means to win at least one game. Consider me the king of moderate expectations. I read "advance" and think one win. 

Eatersto1
Legend

September 18th, 2018, 10:06 pm #10

Interview segments