Uh Oh

April 6th, 2018, 6:26 am #51

CB got the ball to open the 2018 season for AAA Tacoma.  He throws 5.2 Inn with 6 H 8 K 1 BB using 98 pitches in a no decision the Rainiers eventually won 5-0.  Good first outing of the year for him and an honor to start the first game of the season at any level.

Vit-D
Vit-D

May 15th, 2018, 9:34 pm #52

Bergman got called back up and will start for the Mariners tomorrow.

Uh Oh

May 16th, 2018, 10:24 am #53

Vit-D wrote: Bergman got called back up and will start for the Mariners tomorrow.
He's up due to the weather caused schedule change.  Expect him to be sent back down after the game.  This type of call-up does not count towards his options.  He has done pretty well overall in AAA this season.  A couple of poundings are reflected in his stats.  

Interestingly, the game is being broadcast exclusively on Facebook.  I'm open this afternoon, so will check it out.  Here's the link:

https://www.mlb.com/mariners/news/range ... -276751538 

Eatersto1
Legend

May 16th, 2018, 10:39 am #54

Uh Oh wrote:
Vit-D wrote: Bergman got called back up and will start for the Mariners tomorrow.
He's up due to the weather caused schedule change.  Expect him to be sent back down after the game.  This type of call-up does not count towards his options.  He has done pretty well overall in AAA this season.  A couple of poundings are reflected in his stats.  

Interestingly, the game is being broadcast exclusively on Facebook.  I'm open this afternoon, so will check it out.  Here's the link:

https://www.mlb.com/mariners/news/range ... -276751538 
Facebook has been signing large media deals to expand sports coverage trying to compete with YouTube (Google). They signed a deal with the MLB as part of their free games of the week that was started by Yahoo! a couple seasons ago.

Another recent blow to Big Media Sports was UK's Sky Sports losing La Liga (Spanish top Division soccer) rights to streaming service Eleven Sports.
Sky Sports was in the middle of a bidding war between Fox Sports and Comcast, definitely a blow.

Watch out for the expansion of streaming services making their move into the market that could change how we enjoy sports in the coming years.

ESPN (Disney) invested a lot to launch their ESPN+ cheap streaming service, a high risk move to remain competitive in the market, even though they are still the major player in the industry.

gouci
Legend

May 16th, 2018, 12:58 pm #55

I watched part of Bergman's outing.

On today's roster Mariners have 5 Big West alums.

Christian Bergman - UCI
Marc Rzepczynski - UCR
Nick Vincent - LB
David Freitas - UH
Mitch Haniger - CP

Vit-D
Vit-D

May 16th, 2018, 4:54 pm #56

Looks like Bergman had a really nice start.  Seven shutout innings.  

I assume he will be going back down to the minors ASAP, but it was a good impression for Bergman.  As always, for a guy like him, the most important thing to me is that he is back on the Mariners 40 man roster, so he is now available to shuttle back and forth to the big league team with no problems.  In addition, if he is to stay on the 40 man roster until September, he will likely get a call up when rosters expand.

Now he just needs to keep performing with whatever opportunity he is given.

Uh Oh

May 16th, 2018, 5:09 pm #57

Great showing.  I watched his performance and was impressed with his pitch locations and mixing speeds.  

Now, Seattle sent down a young pitcher who (Goeddel, UCLA) just wasn't getting the job done.  There is a chance Bergman may stay up for at least the short term and come out of the pen.  

Vit-D
Vit-D

May 17th, 2018, 6:36 pm #58

Uh Oh wrote: Great showing.  I watched his performance and was impressed with his pitch locations and mixing speeds.  

Now, Seattle sent down a young pitcher who (Goeddel, UCLA) just wasn't getting the job done.  There is a chance Bergman may stay up for at least the short term and come out of the pen.  
Bergman sent back down.

Uh Oh

May 18th, 2018, 7:08 am #59

He remains on the 40-man roster.  That's a plus.  Oft injured RHP Cook was brought up as planned out of Spring Training.  He's a reliever, so wouldn't have helped when a starter was needed the other day.  Maybe Bergman is the next starter as needed by the Ms.   

May 18th, 2018, 10:07 am #60

That's exactly the plan.  They want to keep Bergman stretched out for the next time they need a SP due to injury or a DH on the schedule.  They have other guys they can send up and down for regular bullpen usage for 1-2 inning stints.  

The only way he comes back up and not as a SP would be if they burn a bunch of guys in the bullpen (marathon game like Fullerton-CSUN last night) and need somebody available to handle long relief duty but that type of assignment wouldn't last long for him and he would probably be sent back down after hanging around for a few days of being an insurance policy.

They had two open spots on their 40 man roster prior to calling him up so he probably gets to stay there for a while.