Aztecs in Jeopardy

Eatersto1
Legend

February 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm #1

The continuing battle over whether San Diego State will continue to use the Aztecs as a nickname reached a new point today. Interim president Sally Roush will have the final say on what the nickname will be.

tshoitnshorts

February 15th, 2018, 3:46 pm #2

I haven't been following this story, why the controversy? It's not like there are living Aztecs in the world. Ancient history culture.

Eatersto1
Legend

February 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm #3

tshoitnshorts wrote: I haven't been following this story, why the controversy? It's not like there are living Aztecs in the world. Ancient history culture.
The extremely liberal side thinks using any sort of names that define native peoples of the Americas is derogatory.

As for the Aztecs, the pure blood Aztecs may no longer be here, but I'm pretty sure there are Mexicans or other Central Americans who share their bloodlines.

And there are other non Aztec tribes still around.

Why this is even an issue? University politics. Raush is an interim President. She'll be forced to make a decision that could make or break her career there.

tshoitnshorts

February 15th, 2018, 8:01 pm #4

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. No matter what she decides they'll be haters. No brainer. Keep the name. It's athletics, fans come first. 

Eatersto1
Legend

February 16th, 2018, 2:33 pm #5

tshoitnshorts wrote: Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. No matter what she decides they'll be haters. No brainer. Keep the name. It's athletics, fans come first. 
I know the majority of sports teams that have indigenous peoples names as their mascot was the intent to be cool and show respect for those peoples, not mock them. My high school used to have their mascot as the Mohicans through the 90s but at the turn of the century, was forced to change and became the Panthers.

If using the Mohicans is an insult to the Mohicans, who were wiped out early in the colonial era, then making films about them, like Last of the Mohicans is an insult.
People are too sensitive these days about those names.

Imagine if Florida State can no longer be called the Seminoles? That would be a sad sad day.

NorRidgLum

February 16th, 2018, 3:23 pm #6

Eatersto1 wrote:
tshoitnshorts wrote: Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. No matter what she decides they'll be haters. No brainer. Keep the name. It's athletics, fans come first. 
I know the majority of sports teams that have indigenous peoples names as their mascot was the intent to be cool and show respect for those peoples, not mock them. My high school used to have their mascot as the Mohicans through the 90s but at the turn of the century, was forced to change and became the Panthers.

If using the Mohicans is an insult to the Mohicans, who were wiped out early in the colonial era, then making films about them, like Last of the Mohicans is an insult.

Imagine if Florida State can no longer be called the Seminoles? That would be a sad sad day.
I'm okay with using a mascot that is treated with respect and admiration.  CSUN tweaked their Matador graphic from a clunky caricature to a realistic form that reflects strength.  Perhaps SDSU should do the same.  Nnnnoooooowwww, what about the future of New Mexico State's (or any school) gun-toting mascot?  

BeefEater2
Legend

February 16th, 2018, 8:34 pm #7

Eatersto1 wrote:

This is why some teams have weird mascots that make no sense. Take the Red Storm of St. John's for example. What the heck is a Red Storm? A Red Storm is what you get when they decide they can't be the Redmen any longer, but they want to stick to a name that sounds similar to the original name. 

I think this is mostly just virtue signaling by Liberals who want to pretend like they care about Native Americans. Rather than actually doing something to help them, they will change a mascot name to alleviate their sense of guilt. 
Last edited by BeefEater2 on February 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeefEater2
Legend

February 16th, 2018, 8:36 pm #8

NorRidgLum wrote:
Eatersto1 wrote:

I'm okay with using a mascot that is treated with respect and admiration.  CSUN tweaked their Matador graphic from a clunky caricature to a realistic form that reflects strength.  Perhaps SDSU should do the same.  Nnnnoooooowwww, what about the future of New Mexico State's (or any school) gun-toting mascot?  
Pistol Pete is the coolest mascot around (second to Peter the Anteater, of course). If he were in California, they would have forced him to turn in his firearms long ago. 

parkj19

February 17th, 2018, 8:09 pm #9

As far as the trend towards dropping team nicknames of indigenous peoples, I think if you want to blame some group for this, you should be blaming the indigenous groups (or their ancestors) who are offended by primarily white institutions appropriating their images after those same White peoples have historically worked to wipe them out of existence.

I am proud that liberals have taken the calls of indigenous peoples to heart, and I wonder what the right uses as an excuse to continue to insult them (“It’s cool?”; “We’ve always done that, why should we change now?”; “What right do they have to tell us to change our behavior when we have more power than them?”; “I’m not offended by the name and mascot: why should they be so sensitive?”; “They’re just being politically correct?”; “We think we’re honoring them by using their name, despite what they believe about their own name?”)

In other words, I just don’t get how anyone can justify offending someone in appropriating their image, calling someone by their name, when that group keeps saying that they don’t want it to continue.