2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

For threads related to sports other than Big West sports. Also home of the JBJ Predictions game.
Uh Oh

July 12th, 2018, 7:51 am #131

Amazing endurance by the Croatia players.  They've played a lot of minutes and still out-hustled the Three Lions to the end.  Pretty darn impressive.  Looking forward to seeing if they can do it one more time.   

Eatersto1

July 12th, 2018, 11:17 am #132

BeefEater2 wrote: I'd much rather Hrvatska win than the Gauls.
Not even real Gauls. Franks...

BeefEater2

July 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm #133

Eatersto1 wrote:
Those Francs have a lot of Gaul!

Eatersto1

July 12th, 2018, 4:24 pm #134

BeefEater2 wrote:
Eatersto1 wrote:
Those Francs have a lot of Gaul!
A whole lot of it.

Eatersto1

July 14th, 2018, 2:50 pm #135

Belgium and England actually turned out to be a high quality third place match the fact that both teams went out and really competed instead of giving up. Belgium's golden generation ended up as winners 2-0, they're a veteran team and that was enough. England is showing its next generation of talent this tournament and no one really expected them to finish 4th. This England team has won the hearts of England and maybe UK for their performance and has given new hope for Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022.

Tomorrow will be for all the marbles France and Croatia

Uh Oh

July 15th, 2018, 6:52 am #136

The Red Devils were the better team on the pitch yesterday.  They met my expectations for this tourney.  

Go Croatia!

BeefEater2

July 15th, 2018, 1:57 pm #137

Le sigh

Eatersto1

July 16th, 2018, 10:26 am #138

France looked like the best team since May warmups and they proved themselves to be champions.
Croatia, although they could not produce the upset, have achieved what most did not believe they could. From edging Greece in playoffs to barely get into the final 32 and going through all those extra time/PK games and injuries to get to the finals. Ultimately, it was a match where the team who made the fewest mistakes won.

And the skies opened up after that.

BeefEater2

July 16th, 2018, 5:49 pm #139

I enjoyed some of these matches, but very few of the teams I wanted to win won. Unfortunately, it's another four year wait to get the USA back in the tournament. All I can say is we had better get there or it's going to be the death of soccer in America.

Eatersto1

July 16th, 2018, 6:17 pm #140

BeefEater2 wrote: I enjoyed some of these matches, but very few of the teams I wanted to win won. Unfortunately, it's another four year wait to get the USA back in the tournament. All I can say is we had better get there or it's going to be the death of soccer in America.
There is rumor that the field of 48 could be in play for 2022, but the concern is whether or not Qarar is up to the task of being able to handle it.
I personally prefer 1 last go of the field of 32 where there will still be good quality matches and entertainment.

Unless they change the format for the field of 48, it does not look to be decent.

Since the next competition will be held during the winter, the drawing of groups for qualification likely won't happen until next summer and first matchday should be September of 2019.

Which leaves a long lull in between.

Of course, there's UEFA Nations league starting this autumn to keep some competitiveness available. Some decent friendlies too.
US plays Brazil, Mexico, England and Italy this autumn in friendlies.

Asia plays their continental championship in January.

U-20 Women's World Cup is next month and the Women's World Cup is next June.

Other than this, there should be a lull in international soccer. Of course there's the friendlies tour going on for the European offseason and if anyone cares for the MLS and Asian leagues that are ongoing right now.