RFDTITAN
Member
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 5:48 pm

September 11th, 2018, 9:02 am #81

dakyne62 - The main reason UCSB will surprise is a new super quick point guard?  Are you talking about Ramsey?  The guy who was just the 9th man at Nevada (borderline/sometimes rotation player), just 8 minutes per game playing time, 1 point and 1 assist average, shooting rarely seen lows of 17.9% overall and 15.4% from three?

If that is the guy who you expect to make the difference, I think you might be disappointed.  Am I wrong here?

Unless I'm missing someone, it looks to me like you have Heidegger and McLaughlin (played a lot at Ore St, but a guard who was not a very good shooter).  After that, you better hope Sow is ready to be a solid big man making the jump from high school.  Moore was decent at Seattle (not exactly a top program), Davis not terrible as a fringe rotation player at Alabama.  

And I don't think you have reason to expect a whole lot from returnees (Terrell, Lakoju and Blackmon), nor from JC transfer Idehen.

If Pasternack can bring this bunch of new-to-each-other players (four of whom have not played for more than a year) into a group that seriously contends for the BWC title, I will be surprised.  I guess stranger things have happened, but not often.

Quote
Like
Share

GauchoFreg
Member
Joined: March 29th, 2007, 6:22 pm

September 11th, 2018, 10:18 am #82

Regarding Ramsey, the main point Dakyne made was about his defense, not his offense and even acknowledged that we won't need perimeter scoring from him given the other shooters that will be on the floor. Note that Leland King was also a low minutes guy at Nevada but was 1st team BW at UCSB.

I personally have UCSB 3rd behind CSF n UCI, on level with Davis.
Quote
Like
Share

RFDTITAN
Member
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 5:48 pm

September 11th, 2018, 10:53 am #83

GauchoFreg, at first it sounds like a fair point about King.  But not really close to the same as for Ramsey.  King was the best player at Brown his sophomore season, and then had to sit out a year before playing at Nevada which was loaded at his position with Oliver and Caroline.  So it makes sense King didn't get many minutes at Nevada.

Ramsey will now be trying to dust off the rust after sitting out a year (like King at Nevada, but not at UCSB).  And Ramsey played little at Nevada despite not being shelved the year before and despite Nevada not exactly being loaded at his position.  

Besides, what exactly are the indications Ramsey will be a good defender (when he could not get playing time at Nevada)?  Because he is "quick"?  I'm guessing he is also closer to a diminutive 5'10" (his listed height at Nevada), than to the 6'0" UCSB lists.

Quote
Like
Share

GauchoSoul
Member
Joined: June 29th, 2011, 4:21 am

September 12th, 2018, 6:38 pm #84

RFDTITAN wrote: GauchoFreg, at first it sounds like a fair point about King.  But not really close to the same as for Ramsey.  King was the best player at Brown his sophomore season, and then had to sit out a year before playing at Nevada which was loaded at his position with Oliver and Caroline.  So it makes sense King didn't get many minutes at Nevada.

Ramsey will now be trying to dust off the rust after sitting out a year (like King at Nevada, but not at UCSB).  And Ramsey played little at Nevada despite not being shelved the year before and despite Nevada not exactly being loaded at his position.  

Besides, what exactly are the indications Ramsey will be a good defender (when he could not get playing time at Nevada)?  Because he is "quick"?  I'm guessing he is also closer to a diminutive 5'10" (his listed height at Nevada), than to the 6'0" UCSB lists.
No because Devearl Ramsey was known in high school and for US Team during FIBA games as a terror on defense.
Before college, he was known for his tenacious defense and attacking drives to the bucket. 
Now he has added a jumper to his game.

I dont think the team recruited Ramsey because of his height but good to see he might have added an inch or two.
Every bit helps if he aspires to play professionally.
Quote
Like
Share

RFDTITAN
Member
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 5:48 pm

September 13th, 2018, 8:10 am #85

If Ramsey has indeed added a jumper and a couple of inches, admittedly he could be a valuable newcomer.

But has UCSB lost more than it gained, or not?  Lost King, Canty, Vincent and Jackson.  In terms of potential significant pieces, gained Sow, McLaughlin, Moore, Davis, Ramsey (and Idehen?).

UCSB may be deeper, but ultimately, I think its chances hinge significantly on Sow (given heavy front court losses).  If Sow can be a consistent force as a freshman..........     

Quote
Like
Share

ECGaucho
Member
Joined: August 11th, 2008, 11:49 am

September 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm #86

Yes, Leland King, a grad transfer, came with more history of D1 production with his stats at Brown.

OTOH, King was not highly recruited out of high school.  Ramsey had offers from high majors like USC, Texas, Cal, Washington, and NC State before he committed to Nevada.  At the time, that looked like a surprise, but Nevada, now of days, doesn't quite look like a bad program to get sloppy seconds from.

The reason Gaucho fans are expecting a big impact from Ramsey is specifically because he addresses a major weakness of last year's squad.  Speed and defense.  Small, quick guards gave the Gauchos fits last year because our experienced veteran guards of Vincent and Jackson were slowed down by injuries.  Ramsey is one of those short and speedy guards.

Our defense will also be improved on the interior.  King gave us great production, but he struggled to defend quality 4s.  Canty also really struggled against quicker bigs.  Sow and Idehen will be a big upgrade defensively.

We've lost quite a bit in terms of point production, but I'm not worried about where the points will come from with this group.  Perhaps it will take some time for the team to gel.  Freg has done a good job of being a prudent homer, but quite frankly, I'll be disappointed if this Gaucho team finishes second.
Quote
Like
Share

GauchoSoul
Member
Joined: June 29th, 2011, 4:21 am

September 13th, 2018, 6:22 pm #87

ECGaucho wrote: Yes, Leland King, a grad transfer, came with more history of D1 production with his stats at Brown.

OTOH, King was not highly recruited out of high school.  Ramsey had offers from high majors like USC, Texas, Cal, Washington, and NC State before he committed to Nevada.  At the time, that looked like a surprise, but Nevada, now of days, doesn't quite look like a bad program to get sloppy seconds from.

The reason Gaucho fans are expecting a big impact from Ramsey is specifically because he addresses a major weakness of last year's squad.  Speed and defense.  Small, quick guards gave the Gauchos fits last year because our experienced veteran guards of Vincent and Jackson were slowed down by injuries.  Ramsey is one of those short and speedy guards.

Our defense will also be improved on the interior.  King gave us great production, but he struggled to defend quality 4s.  Canty also really struggled against quicker bigs.  Sow and Idehen will be a big upgrade defensively.

We've lost quite a bit in terms of point production, but I'm not worried about where the points will come from with this group.  Perhaps it will take some time for the team to gel.  Freg has done a good job of being a prudent homer, but quite frankly, I'll be disappointed if this Gaucho team finishes second.
Losing King's production is big but I have no doubt we can produce enough points from Heidegger and gang.

The biggest improvement needed was defense and depth.  We got that and then some. 
Ramsey should put a lid on the quicker guards in the Big West while Idehen/Sow can handle their own in the post.
I also love the wing pickup of defensive wing Toure.

As much as we will miss King's offense, I think we will have much more fire power this season and from all over the floor.
Ami/Idehen in the post, Davis/McLaughlin on the wing and Moore/Heidegger/Sow/Nagle from the 3.
Last year the only guy driving to the bucket was Heidegger but this year we also add an aggressive rim attacker in Ramsey and the
two wings (Davis/McLaughlin).  We should have much more dimension and attacking options for Pasternack to work with.

When this team gels, it could get scary good.
Quote
Like
Share

RFDTITAN
Member
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 5:48 pm

September 13th, 2018, 11:16 pm #88

"Ramsey should put a lid on the quicker guards......"

Ramsey may be quick and ferocious.  But he is 5 inches shorter than Awisoka lol.

Quote
Like
Share

GauchoSoul
Member
Joined: June 29th, 2011, 4:21 am

September 14th, 2018, 1:49 am #89

RFDTITAN wrote: "Ramsey should put a lid on the quicker guards......"

Ramsey may be quick and ferocious.  But he is 5 inches shorter than Awisoka lol.
You mean Awosika, right?

I didnt realize he was that tall.  He grew a few more inches too?
Ramsey better keep a tight lid on Awisoka or he might shoot better than 20% from long distance, or get more than 3 assists per game or
push for 8 point per game. 
Quote
Like
Share

dakyne62
Member
Joined: April 11th, 2007, 5:56 am

September 15th, 2018, 12:46 pm #90

Sparky wrote:
dakyne62 wrote: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that UCSB will surprise on the upside again.  Just like they did last season.  Pasternack is proving to be a decent game day coach, but his ability to recruit highly ranked players AND motivating them to play team ball is underrated.  They jumped from 6th in preseason polls all the way to finish 2nd.

Pundits will pick them 4th due to graduation losses, but their replacements are more talented and have fewer holes on defense.

And yes, the Gauchos have a plethora of perimeter shooters and scoring options, but the #1 reason I believe we'll outperform expectations is because we finally have a super quick point guard who can penetrate and defend other quick point guards.  His weakest skill set is his perimeter shooting, but even that component isn't bad.  He will be able to neutralize opponent guards on both ends of the court, which is a luxury the Gauchos haven't had in quite a while, including last season.

The Gauchos historically have had superb wings (including last season), and serviceable post players, with the exception of Big Al who was exceptional.  But their weakness has been having small, pass-first point guards who were vulnerable on defense against quicker guards from LB, CSF, UCI, UCD, UH, and even CSUN and SLO. Hell, we struggled against pretty much every team throughout the years with other teams' point guards.  It goes beyond Casper Ware, who epitomized someone who we couldn't handle.  That trend ends with Ramsey, and is the reason why I'm bullish on the Gauchos.  That and the fact that we've surrounded him with other former 4-star and 3-star recruits, and now it's a question of Pasternack getting them to pass the ball around and locking down on defense.  He's shown that ability so far.  He doesn't put up with the "star" mentality, and that will be crucial because he's accumulated solid offensive talent.
I would agree that UCSB has the most potential of any team to surprise to the upside. Their recruiting is first rate, especially in the backcourt. I wouldn't pick them to win the BW though, because other squads (Fullerton and UCI) are more seasoned teams that are talented and have significant time playing together. Additionally, I think there are real question marks in the frontcourt for the Gauchos.
Most will be surprised by the talent of our frontcourt.  Sow, Idehen, and Davis will be all-BW in some fashion at some point.  They may end up being the best frontcourt in the BW.  I haven't said that since Big Al's freshman season (and it probably wasn't true then).  Serna and Nunnally started with Somogyi and Big Al as backups.
"The BWCT is irrrelevant - it really is." - ccman10, February 21, 2012
Quote
Like
Share