BWFan1198

November 13th, 2017, 3:21 pm #81

Very true about BYU and Utah, although neither were wins. My point was more toward Irvine’s schedule which was a very solid schedule. Not sure it didn’t prepare them for conference. It’s always tough to beat a team twice in a short amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eatersto1
Legend

November 13th, 2017, 3:30 pm #82

BWFan1198 wrote: Very true about BYU and Utah, although neither were wins.  My point was more toward Irvine’s schedule which was a very solid schedule.  Not sure it didn’t prepare them for conference.  It’s always tough to beat a team twice in a short amount of time.

Also, Irvine was missing right back Jonnae Joseph for the final 3rd of the season after she got injured.
Joseph was very important to both the back line and offense as it allowed other MF's to concentrate more on attack than defending and Joseph has speed to join the attack on the right side and fall back quickly to defend. Irvine ended up forcing 2 of their MF's to stay back on defense and that ended up being a problem. The quality declined at that point where Fullerton was peaking. It's always tough to beat the same team twice within a week. Fullerton suffered the same fate last season when they beat Irvine to end the regular season and then fell to Irvine on PKs 4 days later. And soccer isn't the only sport we've seen some teams suffer from such scheduling.

BWFan1198

November 17th, 2017, 7:09 am #83

BeefEater2 wrote:The way I look at this decade, all three programs have had runs where they were the best program in the conference. CSF's peak was the Burkenroad-Wilson teams from 2013-15. Like I said, I don't think CSF was the best team this season, but they won the BWT. The best team does not always win the BWT.

I might give CSF the edge as the best program overall, due to the success in the BWT however. One thing Brown's teams have done better than UCI or LBSU is win the BWT.  
My thought is I wish Fullerton would have ncaa wins. Until then, it’s LBSU and UCI for me. Zero wins does nothing for the conference reputation and recruiting.

Eatersto1
Legend

November 17th, 2017, 10:23 am #84

Getting to the tournament and not doing anything is something that cancels out the gains that a team would want from by getting there over time. Especially for a sport like collegiate soccer that has very little coverage, it is that much harder to benefit from getting to the tournament if there are no results from the tournament.

We can look at an example like Santa Clara who got to the elite 8 last season and had a more normal season this year. Would their elite 8 appearance last season resonate in people's memories? Will they really benefit in recruiting? It's still a question mark.

BWFan1198

November 17th, 2017, 4:41 pm #85

Eatersto1 wrote:Getting to the tournament and not doing anything is something that cancels out the gains that a team would want from by getting there over time. Especially for a sport like collegiate soccer that has very little coverage, it is that much harder to benefit from getting to the tournament if there are no results from the tournament.

We can look at an example like Santa Clara who got to the elite 8 last season and had a more normal season this year. Would their elite 8 appearance last season resonate in people's memories? Will they really benefit in recruiting? It's still a question mark.
Santa Clara won today and is in the sweet 16, we will see how good Pepperdine is today when they take on Virginia.

Eatersto1
Legend

November 17th, 2017, 4:44 pm #86

Now we need one of these teams to win it all.
But Pepperdine has it tough against Virginia. The ACC is one of the strongest leagues for soccer.

BWFan1198

November 19th, 2017, 8:54 am #87

Pepperdine 0 - Virginia 3

Stanford is the favorite it seems