Information: This board is currently read-only.
Ty
Advanced Member

February 21st, 2013, 4:12 am #11

Well said.

moregon
Advanced Member

February 25th, 2013, 9:18 pm #12

Just Curious wrote: I doubt the mating of two subjects would create something greater than the sum of the parts - for example height/weight/strength.

Actually not true. The Liger which is a lion for the sire and tiger for the dam, gets much larger than either species in it's pure form.

The Tiglon, tiger sire and lion dam does not.

From Wiki two famous Ligers...

"Hercules and Sinbad

Jungle Island, an interactive animal theme park in Miami, is home to a liger named Hercules, the largest non-obese liger, who is recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest living cat on Earth, weighing over 410 kg (904 lb).[9] Hercules was featured on the Today Show, Good Morning America, Anderson Cooper 360, Inside Edition and in a Maxim article in 2005, when he was only 3 years old and already weighed 408.25 kg (900 lb). Hercules is completely healthy and is expected to live a long life. The cat's breeding is said to have been a complete accident. Sinbad, another liger, was shown on the National Geographic Channel. Sinbad was reported to have the exact weight of Hercules."

African Lions normally under 550 pounds maximum.
Largest Species of tigers reportedly up to about 670 pounds.

Largest Ligers ever reported have been one verified at 1,200, another verified at 1,400 and one in Wisconsin that is still unverified claiming to be 1,600 pounds. I certainly hope he or she is in SE Wisconsin and not this far west!

moregon
Advanced Member

February 25th, 2013, 9:31 pm #13

Before anyone thinks I've gone off the deep end, I DID put this thread in the Hoaxes, Rumors and Lies section, and posted it primarily for discussion. I'm not advocating that I believe this is WHAT happened, nor am I saying it's not a possibility. None of use really knows what goes on behind the closed doors of government run labs, and too many governments in the past have carried out not-so-respectable experiments even on their own citizens.

Ty
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2013, 6:39 am #14

moregon wrote:Before anyone thinks I've gone off the deep end, I DID put this thread in the Hoaxes, Rumors and Lies section, and posted it primarily for discussion. I'm not advocating that I believe this is WHAT happened, nor am I saying it's not a possibility.
I didn't think you went off the deep end Moregon and I was hoping you wouldn't take my responses that way; I should have clarified. I respect you and your opinions too much to think that.

I forgot about the Liger also, Doh ! I do find the topic of human/chimp hybridization experiments interesting though. Imagining the creature that would result, if successful and allowed to live, sure creates some disturbing mental images.

moregon
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2013, 7:57 pm #15

There's been a LOT of claims regarding the Humanzee experiments, but so far all I can find is anecdotal evidence, no actual documents. Regarding Stalin's funded experiments started in the 1920s, and now I came across more anecdotal evidence claiming there was a successful birth at the Yerkes Primate Lab in 1934 with an alleged picture of the resulting infant. That report says the infant was euthanized after six days due to fear of the repercussions of crossing a human with an ape, if the information got out.

Some things that strike me as odd about this case is:

A. I think if they euthanized something even partially human the outcry would be just as loud as crossing a human and chimp.

B. The alleged name given this alleged cross was Cornelius... also the name of one of the primary characters in the movie "Planet of the Apes" which wasn't even thought of during the 1930s.

My guess is it's a garbage report made up by a more modern source who wanted to cash in on the popularity of the Planet of the Apes series of movies, tying in a possible explanation of how those apes learned to speak.

Ty I wasn't pointing the finger at you! I meant in general for those that know me or those who might come along and start labeling me a Kool-Aid drinker! LOL

Seems like it's been extremely slow here every time I check so thought I'd try to drum up a little action for discussion.

Haven't heard a word from JC for months, so was happy to see her reply, as well as yours and Ted's, so there's still some life here. I've just been so caught up in the issues on Facebook, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to anything else for months now.

keilder
Advanced Member

February 27th, 2013, 9:25 am #16

I'll mirror what Ty said Moregan. It's good to have you back though!

Ty
Advanced Member

March 5th, 2013, 5:07 am #17

moregon wrote:Ty I wasn't pointing the finger at you! I meant in general for those that know me or those who might come along and start labeling me a Kool-Aid drinker! LOL
Didn't think you were and yes, I get it now... :D

wrote:A. I think if they euthanized something even partially human the outcry would be just as loud as crossing a human and chimp.
My thoughts on that were basically the opposite. I've imagined a scientist saying something to the effect like : 'OMG...what the hell did we do ? We can't let that thing live'...lol

moregon
Advanced Member

March 5th, 2013, 8:41 pm #18

Years ago I worked for a company by the name of Enzyme Bio-Systems ltd. where we made "Enzymes." Basically it's recovering a chemical produced by microorganisms. Very interesting work, great pay, long hours, and probably one of the best jobs I've ever had. We were informed that we would be using "NEW" Genetically Engineered Microorganisms that were "GRAS" (Generally Regarded As Safe), although nobody knew for sure.

While waiting in the conference room where we were going to be getting the details of the new organism and the processes we would need to grow then recover the enzymes one of the other ops asked what was meant by Genetically Engineered, it was something new to him. So I explained some of the processes they use to genetically alter them and one of his first questions was, "but you can only do animal with animal and plant with plant right?" I try NEVER to let a lead-in-line like that pass without attempting to make a funny. So I told him that isn't the fact anymore, and they had successfully crossed a pig with a potato! "WHY would anyone want to cross a pig and a potato," he asked? I explained it was the idea of the FDA as an attempt at making people eat a healthier diet by crossing MEAT with VEGGIES and eventually FRUITS so you would only need a single item on your plate and still be guaranteed of eating a balanced diet! He kept asking me.. REALLY? I kept assuring him YES!

The meeting started, the scientists that were explaining what was meant by Genetic Engineering were getting ready to start and asked if ANYONE in the group KNEW what it was. Ray, the one I had joked about the pig and potato to, raised his hand, shaking it wildly to get called. Of course, they called on him. He started telling them about the Pig and Potato, they couldn't control themselves and started laughing out loud, and asked him WHO told him that. He turned and looked at me, and I saw everyone else's head starting to turn so I turned mine too pointing at the last guy in our line of desks.

Unfortunately it didn't work everyone knew I was the one that did it. :(

Just Curious
Advanced Member

March 6th, 2013, 4:29 am #19

Now that sounds like a real snipe hunting story moregon. I can't believe the guy fell for it!

keilder
Advanced Member

March 6th, 2013, 12:46 pm #20

Excellent wind-up Moregan, one of the best I've heard in a while...Well done!! :D