Information: This board is currently read-only.

Squatch Base

keilder
Advanced Member

June 4th, 2012, 10:04 am #1

I thought I'd have a look a this today and found it didn't load, so after some looking about I found some old beta code to time it out.

I've removed this, recompiled and uploaded to the below, where it shall remain.

As bandwidth is no longer my issue, I have also included all of Johns Greens data, all 3472 sighting reports.

Squatch Base

jron
Advanced Member

June 4th, 2012, 1:16 pm #2

keilder wrote:I thought I'd have a look a this today and found it didn't load, so after some looking about I found some old beta code to time it out.

I've removed this, recompiled and uploaded to the below, where it shall remain.

As bandwidth is no longer my issue, I have also included all of Johns Greens data, all 3472 sighting reports.

Squatch Base
It is very old, and in fact likely unsustainable VB code. I would think you're better off using a php/mysql soultion, depending on how technical and datbasey you are.

keilder
Advanced Member

June 5th, 2012, 10:24 am #3

php/mysql would of defeated the object! I wanted to create a standalone app that researchers could use 'off' line for when they had limited or no internet connection.

And sure the language is old but not unsustainable (theres still a huge following and it works even under W7 using WOW on 64 Bit..I do need to install Ubuntu and test wine though to see if it works on that) The app however is last year! But its all I had lying around, so decided to use VB6 with the latest service packs installed as I couldn't find my latest Delphi CD, only version 2 which wouldn't install.

PowerBasic 8 I think is my latest release with Powerforms was out also, due to conflicts with some OCX files.

I do have Mircrosoft Visual Studio 2010 Pro from Dream Spark (free with University access) but had no desire to spend a penny on the development at all, and am not prepared to spend money updating my Windows database to .NET ($345) or Java ($795).

It is :what it is alas, unless somebody wants to take on the project and do a php version which I can't see working (server costs to cater for etc.,) or poney up around $35000 (extra for my time) and I'll do a Java version that will run on anything.

EDIT: bit more clarity and spelling mistakes.

jron
Advanced Member

June 5th, 2012, 11:12 am #4

keilder wrote:php/mysql would of defeated the object! I wanted to create a standalone app that researchers could use 'off' line or who have limited or no internet connection.

And sure the language is old but not unsustainable (theres a still a huge following and it works even under W7 using WOW on 64 Bit), the app however is last year! but its all I had lying around, so decided to use VB6 with the latest service packs installed as I couldn't find my Delphi CD, only version 2 which wouldn't install.

PowerBasic 8 I think is my latest release with Powerforms was out also, due to conflicts with some OCX files.

I do have Mircrosoft Visual Studio 2010 Pro from Dream Spark (free with University access) but am not prepared to spend money updating my Codebase to .NET ($345) or Java ($795).

It is :what it is alas, unless somebody wants to take on the project and do a php version, which I can't see working! or poney up around $35000 (extra for my time) and I'll do a Java version that will run on anything.

I was actually thinking of doing something with this for the compulsory computer module in year 4 but thought No as I want to pass this Degree.
If you can recode it go for it, the advantage of php/mysql is having the reports on the web if you're of a mind to share, although thats notthe seeming trend these days. I can understand why.