Information: This board is currently read-only.

Professor Sykes.

keilder
Advanced Member

October 9th, 2013, 10:03 am #1

I wondered when it would surface. I never held out any hope at all on this. But just in that I’ve caught.

What I find interesting is the choice of words “Yeti” and these

…for the most part the samples he has tracked down for analysis have turned out to be known species such as humans, bears or apes…

"An author who is both world-leader in his subject, and can also tell a good story, is as rare as the Yeti”

Which, I could be wrong but tells me all samples from the US went nowhere. I’m going to play a hunch or take a punt that he’s leaning on Gianto existing earlier or later around Tibet, which explains a BBC programme, a book and whatever else spins off from this.

Source

keilder
Advanced Member

October 17th, 2013, 12:14 pm #2

Dang I was close.

"..Professor Sykes found that he had a 100 per cent match with a sample from an ancient polar bear jawbone found in Svalbard, Norway, that dates back at least 40,000 years - and probably around 120,000 years - a time when the polar bear and closely related brown bear were separating as different species."

Source

Just Curious
Advanced Member

October 18th, 2013, 7:16 am #3

I'm not getting this...if the DNA was a 100% match for the ancient polar bear, how could it also be a hybrid polar and brown bear mix? It either is a 100% match, meaning it's the ancient polar bear, or it has to be close, but not quite 100% to be a hybrid.

keilder
Advanced Member

October 18th, 2013, 11:51 am #4

I don't understand DNA apart from some basic reading, but that is a very good point.

Just Curious
Advanced Member

October 19th, 2013, 8:09 am #5

Well, the math aside, I'm still really not getting why this is supposedly a big deal. I read the book referenced in that article - My Quest for the Yeti (or some such) by Reinhold Messner. In that book, Messner states that the hide that the Sherpas had was a Chemo Bear skin. It was used in some religious ritual, not unlike other cultures that use animal hides/heads. According to Messner, there was some linguistic confusion and the Chemo Bear was called a Yeti, which apparently means Chemo Bear in their dialect. It seems that's the hide that Sykes took a sample from for testing. The only surprise in all of it was that the other sample came from Bhutan, where the Chemo Bear was thought to no longer exist. Regardless, the Chemo Bear = Himalayan Brown Bear. So that's why I'm doubly confused as to what Sykes is trying to say is 'the discovery'.

Hopefully the rest of his findings will be less confusing.

Stacy
Advanced Member

October 19th, 2013, 2:02 pm #6

(Just wanted to mention that I'm in the middle of that same book! :) )

Just Curious
Advanced Member

October 20th, 2013, 7:15 am #7

It was worth the read. Let me know when you finish it!

GuyInIndiana
Advanced Member

October 27th, 2013, 10:14 pm #8

I don't know what show this is, but apparently Sykes released a bunch of results, and as expected, it all turned out to be normal DNA. This is a show called "Bigfoot Files". The posted list I saw online said this:
wrote: Washington state samples (including a sample from the Olympic project):
1. Cow
2. Cow
3. Black bear
4. White tail deer
5. Canine, wolf or dog (olympic project sample submitted by Derek Randles)
6. Canine, wolf or dog (Marcel Cagey)
7. NOT STATED

8. Arizona sample:
Racoon

9. Texas sample:
Horse

10. Michigan sample:
Porcupine

11. Sierra Kills
Smeja submitted hair samples of a black bear. No steak as such. Boot was tested for blood and NO blood could be found on the boot. He looked a broken man and was in tears after hearing the results.

12. Placer County, Northern Cal. (Dan shirley and Garland Fields)
Black bear

keilder
Advanced Member

October 28th, 2013, 4:48 pm #9

I've just watched both episodes from the below link (I'm unsure if you can view 4OD in the States without spoofing your IP)

Channel 4 on demand

What I picked up on was the comment "12 Best hairs from the most credible sources" OUCH, that's gott'a hurt.

And then Smeja, I think he was crying after he was told it was a bear and no blood was found on his boots, then asked point blank was he "Hoaxing" I did laugh at that bit, as his body langugage changed and he became unsettled, then splurted out "Why, what's in it for me" etc.

Next week its the Almast and a clip of that Russian (Igor something I believe) mimicking bigfoot speech was shown (Even those few seconds were funny as hell) I take it they'll go down the Zana route again.

Prof. Sykes did state however he got involved out of cursioty, and he was also a bit irritated that cryptozoologists et al said scientists wouldn't take this subject serious!

keilder
Advanced Member

November 3rd, 2013, 9:41 pm #10

I haven't seen the final episode as it hasn't appeared yet on the above site, from what I've read earlier it appears Zana may of been an escaped African Slave.

What she must of went through, that poor woman.

EDIt: It appeared while I typed the above and 13 minutes in, one thing so far was stuck out to me! They said she was captured in 1870's most sources I read back then said 1850's ah whats a 20 year different and details, its TV?

I'll post most inconsistencies if I can be bothered and catch them.

16 minutes in this is possible...But Igor says he was there in 1971 and interviewed a person who recalled her when he was an 8 year old boy. Zana is supposed to have died 1890. Do the maths.

29.30 Igor is doing bigfoot speech, the interviewer has just pissed himself laughing silently while holding a stead fast composure while I fell on the floor with my legs in the air.

"What did that mean?"
best russian accent "That was telling off a youngster, yes"
"But you haven't seen the creature?"
"We have 10,000 encounters."
"I understand you could give me endless encounters, why has nobody taken a photograpgh?"
"They have paranormal abilities" :bg:

32.30 That big russian boxer turns up! and hes big... I don't even know if I'd f*ck with him unless I crept up between him and hit him with a steel bar then ran, like the girl I am. :D Shit 7 foot, 20 stone. Hell I knew a guy 5' 6" built like him that could pick two guys up...I was play fighting once and he moved his arm and knocked me into a wall...Okay I'd run.

38.00 into the samples 4 of the most promising samples of the last 40 years.

2 Horse
1 Cow
1 Glass fibre.

Other

Brown Bear, Igor Burstow (or whatever didn't like it and didn't believe it)

Now comes Zana, Khwit tooth and 6 sets of descendents. all had the same amount of Neatherthal DNA as we all have 2.8% (Igor had a prolapse at this stage)

The tooth and looking at the Mitochondria DNA was sub-saharan African. (South of the Sahara Black African)

So Sykes re checked the descendents and all had the same sub-saharan African DNA

What does this mean, from a laymans view point like me as I deal with Subnetting, binary, masks etc.,? it's not my field...But Zana was African.

My final thoughts, same as what I posted months back! any scientist from now on will refer everybody to Sykes study and never waste their time again. It now comes down to a body and not just one but a few.