Information: This board is currently read-only.
Susan
Advanced Member

January 1st, 2014, 1:06 am #21

I have a question for the Pure Michigan Crew......

You mentioned a "conditioning", Mikey..... you're getting used to them and they are getting used to you..... does that mean that activity has lessened when you are around? They are more used to you so they do less antagonistic behavior to try and challenge you or scare you off? I'm sure that's why you are always trying to think of new and different ways to change things up........

Geez, another time I am wishing I lived closer to all of you. It would be so cool and interesting to experience your research area...

GuyInIndiana
Advanced Member

January 1st, 2014, 2:57 am #22

That's probably a "yes, mostly, but..." kind of answer Skippy. I think early on the group tended to act like a bunch of normal people would for being out there in a temporary situation for 2 or 3 days at a time, but as time went on we became more acclimated to the surroundings including some of their behaviors, so *now* we probably don't act or react as normally as other people would being out there. I think that as one factor has changed their approach to us.

The family had some extensive amounts of woods just north of camp clear-cut this spring and summer, so THAT alone put a damper on what we noticed going on around us, though early on during the clear-cutting there were tracks showing up in the work area and even a handprint on a tractor window much like what happened to my daughter's car back in 2010. Then, the longer the work went on, it 'seemed' to move their travel around or away from us, but just as soon as we'd resolve ourselves to this change, they'd surprise us with new tracks or close vocals at a completely unexpected time.

Like 4th of July weekend, all of us got in late on Wednesday night, and by 1:30am Thursday morning we had all settled in for the night. Low and behold, 3:15am one came in right behind the camper where I and the Jeff Simon's family were all sleeping with windows and vents closed, and screamed loud enough to wake me up. Everyone else in tents managed to sleep right thru it, but Paul (sleeping in his truck) was woke up by it as well. My DVR audio captured it very well, which given the quality of the audio capture on the DVR means it was well under 100' away, maybe anywhere between 50 - 75'.

There was one other very close incident on Friday night that weekend... and then other weekends it's just been completely dead. When I did my 10 day stay in late July/early August, I only had 2 nights where I know there was activity, but then tracks would show up when there were no vocals or reason to believe they were in the area that day.

It's a piss poor analysis on our part, but the best way to summarize it is that there are little predictability patterns that seem to emerge, or at least on the long term, you find are repeatable, but on a daily/short term basis, they may act just like they did the night before, or completely baffle you with something new or just completely out of norm.

Our big incident in 2012 that lasted from 2:24am to 5am was one of those cases where we had gone 'in' for the night nearly 45 minutes to an hour before, and then one just comes in behind camp and went nuts. The only thing about that weekend that was technically different was that we had someone pregnant bring us a top and bottom she had worn for a day that we hung on hangers under our shelter. While purely anecdotal in nature, the weekend that Kristen's car had handprints left on it and the recorder was sniffed, was when she was carrying Gideon and was only 2 weeks from having him. One of my goals is to find someone who would/can cooperate with us and try repeating this more than once in a season to see if there's a repeatability to it.

Still, (rambling on here) EVERY year seems to bring with it some familiarity, and then again every year seems to have a new twist or change in behavior that makes you go "wow, that's different". Their greatest predictability is that they aren't predictable, except on a minor scale. To me, their ability to observe and modify their behaviors over the long term means they're reasoning, intelligent creatures. Still, for being our 'betters' when it comes to size and abilities, they still are cautious enough about us to do everything in their power to stay out of our view.

Susan
Advanced Member

January 1st, 2014, 9:08 pm #23

Thanks, Mikey, that was very interesting......

Really interesting about Kristen being there and what transpired. Your last paragraph sums things up very well and is probably why they have been so good at eluding us for so long....

Doberman
Advanced Member

January 3rd, 2014, 3:20 pm #24

Awesome idea with the pregnancy pheromones, Guy In Indiana!
Pheromones activate pre-coded genetic programs and cause immediate changes in behavior.

A very significant part of the human genome - about 5% or about 1,500 genes of our 30,000 human genes - is used to code the receptors of smell. Imagine a sasquatch's abilities compared to ours?

Two anatomically distinct organs respond to smell, the olfactory system located in the upper part of the nasal cavity, and the vomero-nasal organ or VMO in the nasal septum...Makes me think back to yet another advantage to the larger nasal cavities in the earlier hominid skulls....

Now I have to try and convince my wife we need another child so I can use her pregancy pheromones for my Bigfoot research..."It's for science, Honey"

Just Curious
Advanced Member

January 4th, 2014, 2:09 am #25

I wonder if it has to be a pregnant human female. Have you tried dousing clothes in scent from other animals like deer? And do you otherwise hang clothes out in the same way?

(Just trying to think of a Plan B in case Doberman's wife says 'no')

ETA: On another note, I found that Beloit College was called in to do work on the sites where skeletons were found. I checked and the college does have an Anthropology Dept, but what they acknowledge having in their possession is just artifacts. I wonder where they sent the skeletons. I also wonder why Beloit College, but that's another matter.

Doberman
Advanced Member

January 5th, 2014, 4:20 pm #26

Been reading today about the hominid skull recently found (Oct. 2013) in Dmanisi, Georgia. This fossil has caused a mini uproar in the anthropology world, disturbing their previously presented "facts". Some are now grasping onto the idea that all the different species of Hominid are now just one species with highly varied physical traits....Possible, I guess..., but (sorry, questioning mainstream science in 3...2...1...) wouldn't that be similar to finding the fossilized skulls of a Leopard, Jaguar, Snow Leopard, Cougar, & Cheetah, and in 3 months quickly claiming they are all just one species instead of examining other possibilities???? Earth was the center of our solar system hundreds of years ago. Excuse me while I imagine how crazy our current scientific views will be seen in 500 years...

http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/a ... 01474.html

Cat_Skulls.jpg
image_1474_3_Dmanisi.jpg
skull__5.jpg

keilder
Advanced Member

January 5th, 2014, 5:25 pm #27

I really wanted to stay away from this thread, but I work in this field or used to (different disciple), and the arrogance is second to none.

Doberman
Advanced Member

January 5th, 2014, 6:56 pm #28

Your reply gives me hope, there are others who aren't hypothesized. :thumbs:
Not hard to imagine that proof of whatever we call Bigfoot today, is securely sealed away, and Keilder is right, the masses will NEVER be shown the truth. In my darkest conspiracy moments, I even wonder if the whole Dick Ryder, uh.., I meant Rick Dyer thing was a government ploy of misdirection for the masses and discouraging factor for the increasing number of bigfoot enthusiasts...Ask any average citizen about the possibility of Bigfoot, and the majority will answer with words like "fake, hoax, misidentification" etc....The reason is the majority think what they are told to think. 30,000 reports, over hundreds of years, all discredited & ignored by the government? Let's say most of the sightings are fake, hoaxes, & misidentification. We are still left with hundreds of honest people have never gained a penny from their sighting, sticking to their story, years later, humiliated, and ridiculed. Why spend your whole life building an honest reputation, just to throw it away on a wild story of seeing a huge hairy man right in front of you? Then the subject of how many encounters are NOT reported? That's a whole other thread....

keilder
Advanced Member

January 5th, 2014, 8:07 pm #29

You'll come to realize as I have, most if not all people on this forum are not brainwashed in anyway! There intelligent and have their feet firmly on the ground!

No woo magnets, idiots, kool aid drinkers, tree huggers nothing! They even question their own evidence and methology.

Doberman
Advanced Member

January 6th, 2014, 6:32 pm #30

Good lookin' out on the link, Keilder, was a really good read. I take the null hypothesis I guess....So many reoccurring reports from areas that really are extremely remote & thick. Kinda hard to describe how intense it can get only a mile or two from a town. Over a third of North America is tough wilderness, Africa is only around a quarter. I grew up in the Appalachian Mountains, they really don't get the credit they deserve for natural beauty.

Wondering to as why and how Bigfoot has remained a mystery has spawned many theories. Everything from UFO's, Parallel Dimensions, Primal Coded Hallucinations, Demons, etc.... here's mine...

Bare with me, but I will get to a point......As a bowhunter, I read anything & everything that might give me an edge, including a book authored by a Native American, mainly about their hunting culture. It wasn't a hobby or a pastime to them,...it was a religion. They knew every aspect of the game, and if they didn't, they didn't survive. Couple of things stuck with me. One was the concept to NEVER look your prey animal directly in the eye. They could feel your energy and give away your position. Another interesting thing was about having the proper "energy" while hunting, becoming part of the environment like a rock or tree, allowing the natural energy to flow around you like a river does a boulder....not in the bloodlust mode with spiked energy creating a disturbance....At first, I thought, "what a load of crap", but then I began to think...I've harvested a lot of deer & turkey for the freezer in my life, and I began to replay, in my mind, the countless encounters with game. The crazy notion seemed to hold some merit....Many times, a deer was dead to rights, watching their approach like a pit bull watching a cat through a glass door, focused, not moving a muscle, perfectly camouflaged, not a sound, wind was to my advantage...nothing was amiss....Then, out of nowhere, the prey would stop, it's body language would change, and out of all the angles and directions to look, it would look directly at me. There was no bolting to safety, no alarm calls, just standing there....like they were unsure,...they would eventually turn around and quietly leave the area, just out of bow range.......Did the deer "feel" my anticipation, my hyper-aggression towards the situation? After reading the book, whenever I spot game approaching, the first thing I do now is look away and focus my thoughts on a clean harvest. Since practicing not staring the prey down as it enters the kill zone, this has never happened to me again........Talk long enough with another hunter and they will have tons of weird stories similar.

I understand, all of this could be and probably should be labeled as superstitious bullsh*t...However, over and over from my 27 years of hunting, the days that I've been stoked, excited, primed, my results are usually poor.....even with me going to extreme measures to increase my odds of success. Then there are the days that I'm chilled, enjoying the scenery, centering my thoughts during the quiet time, and out of no where along comes a prey animal as if there isn't a care in the world, easy harvest. Bowhunting is a very up close and personal experience, not the easy, long range, and disconnected kill from a modern firearm...average shot is 22 yards. When an animal has superior physical senses, the closer you get to them only magnifies they amazing abilities. ....It's just weird sometimes...Obviously, I could be searching for a pattern and finding one...I know about the whole Apophenia thing.

Could there be the sightliest possibly that an animal could subconsciously "feel" the presence of danger like the Native Americans believed?....I don't know......, but what I do I know is that you're all thinking "crazy talk" right now, but let me ask you this....Have you ever been sitting somewhere like a restaurant and "felt" someone staring at you, only to turn around and catch someone looking right at you? I bet you have. ....seriously, what is that?

During our large brain's evolution, did we somehow sacrifice or lose some of this ability like an appendix? What if a Sasquatch retained this ability and honed it, because it was highly useful in avoiding us.

What if their brains really ARE "super-human"? Can we truly comprehend or appreciate dolphin echolocation or any other animal's "super-human" abilities?

This could be an explanation to how they've stayed away and maintained a strategic advantage throughout the years, along with superior hearing which never fails them, amazing vision, and being ultra-paranoid towards humans.....Also, somehow, oddly most sightings are from people when their thoughts are daydreaming, in a "zen state", or somewhere else besides excited, nervous, or predator mode that emit "strong vibes"("vibes" for lack of a better description). Maybe there are states of mind where humans are clean of "bad vibes"....making it harder for a Sasquatch to detect their energy or presence?

Maybe a sighting is a rare and occasional misstep by a Sasquatch when they don't "feel" human presence, the wind is right, they hear nothing, so they are then allowed to be preoccupied with something else, much like a rare sighting of any other elusive animal when all the cards are right. Except, their mistakes are 100 times far fewer than say a leopard, cougar, or any other elusive animal.

A mature trophy whitetail buck is a wary animal, rarely entering an area without the wind in it's favor...trusting it's nose to detect danger...Unless being tripped up and throwing caution to the wind chasing females during the rut (been the downfall for many of us males), they may go their entire life unseen by human eyes. Several years ago, a 7 year old huge albino whitetail buck was hit and killed by a soccer mom in her min-van in the suburbs of New York with only small pockets of woods for miles around....No one had ever seen it before...If a small brained solid white deer can stay unseen with humans all around....for conversational sake, imagine how long a Sasquatch possessing a "Sixth Sense" could remain undetected....

Honestly, I can't imagine them escaping humanity without it....