Information: This board is currently read-only.

Field Equipment

Just Curious
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2013, 8:48 am #1

I've been checking into field equipment and I'd love to see this deployed to a field setting somewhere here in the US... The range is adequate to establish the base far from the main computer needed, but with the ability to add up to 30 cameras, it can cover a large area. What's best is that it can be seen online by multiple viewers if you pay for the service. It gets good reviews, including from those in colder climates which is a key consideration. The camera range is fairly good, though reviews indicate a little less than what is advertised for clear images. With solar chargers, indications are that batteries last for 6 months! A bit pricey, but not unattainable.

The Buckeye Orion XIR PC Base Camera

Then, for personal field observation, a FLIR H-Series handheld seems to be the ticket. I'm sure the sales videos are a little exaggerated, or done with high end equipment, but the range of 500 feet! would sure help with finding things in the woods at night. The only problem I see is that although you might find things with this, I don't think you can get definitive proof off a camera like this. At best, YOU would identify the heat signature, but unless you were close enough, there wouldn't be enough definition to convince anyone else I don't think. Still, it would be 'fun'.

http://www.flirhseries.com/

What I'm looking for is the camera that can take a picture in the dark at 500 feet and result in a clear definition picture.

When I win the lottery....

Jamie
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2013, 3:30 pm #2

You know you could monitor a few hot spots to see if they come back to certain places.
Some one on another forum suggested renting one of the higher end units for a weekend say.

Stacy
Advanced Member

January 25th, 2013, 4:40 pm #3

Just Curious wrote:
When I win the lottery....
Tell me about it. :lol: Still, I keep a running list in my head for that moment!

I didn't click on the link, because tech stuff just goes right over my head. Mike does have a system going from his camper though, complete with solar panels, and he can talk to you more about that.

I'd love a thermal but just can't squeeze out the extra big bucks for one--yet. Someday though! :)

keilder
Advanced Member

February 5th, 2013, 9:22 pm #4

I'm not sure of the legality of this, but has anybody ever tried to use Parachute flares at night when a possible sighting may be occuring?

I know it's a long shot, and many variables need to fall into place to deploy such a device. But they sure as heck light up the night sky for 30-40 seconds while descending back down, and maybe, just maybe enough to get some decent video or snaps or maybe enough to see something to follow to fire off some more.

Well if fireworks are supposed to work or solicit a response...Just a thought while i'm in a serious mood is all.