Information: This board is currently read-only.

eReaders

moregon
Advanced Member

November 9th, 2011, 4:37 am #1

At one time I use to be a voracious reading on average of 4 or 5 books a week. Not including comic books! But I still love to read, but the prices are so high now, even on paperbacks it's hard to afford them. About a month ago I saw the Kindle on sale for $99, which is about 11 or 12 paperbacks at today's prices. It also cuts down on storage space as you can fit a fairly decent sized library on the Kindle itself, rather than piles of paperbacks/hardcovers strewn around your room. I also noticed there are a lot of FREE or less than a $1 a title Kindle edition books available. I'm not saying they are all GOOD books, but for that price I can stumble through a few not-so-good ones.

Currently I'm reading "Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos" by Peter Allison. It's a collection of memories leading Safaris while a guide in Africa. Some of the stories are cute, some demand belly laughs, and some just silly, but overall it's a decent book. At the time I ordered it, and had it electronically delivered through Amazon the paperback version was $16.95 and the Kindle version was $3.99, a pretty big savings. The current price is the paperback is $6.78 and the Kindle version $9.99.. you think due to more people owning Kindles?

A quick search on Amazon for Kindle edition books, with Bigfoot in the book somewhere, comes up with 191 books. Of those about 42 of those books are for sale for $1 or less. Remember there are a number of wanna-be authors publishing books online for eReaders as well, so watch the reviews/ratings of those who have purchased them, and stay with the more highly rated titles. Even so, 42 books for less than $40, where can you find a better deal?

You DO NOT need a Kindle to read Kindle edition books. If you don't want to pay the price of Kindle, there is a Free Kindle eReader software program from Amazon that allows you to read them on your computer. I've used it and it's just fine, maybe not as feature filled as the actual Kindle, but very easy to use. Just not as convenient to carry around with you... especially if you have a desktop computer!

Maybe we can use this thread to list eReader books we've purchased or borrowed and give our own reviews on them. This way we can save some of us the grief of real losers, and steer readers towards the real winners in the pack as well.

A quick check shows this classic title... "Hunting the Grisly and Other Sketches" by Theodore Roosevelt is a free download.

moregon
Advanced Member

November 9th, 2011, 6:42 am #2

I took a look at some of the unrated and/or lower rated $1 or less bigfoot books being offered. It seems that MOST of them are works of fiction with a bigfoot or bigfoot-like character appearing in the book. Here's four descriptions of some of these books. However I will not reveal the title of the book, to protect the anonymity of the Pen Names of the authors... at least I HOPE they were using Pen Names.

"A hunt for wild hogs and gators takes an unexpected turn when the hunters realize there’s a big hairy vampire in the swamp with them."

"For years the monsters of The Pit have kept their distance from humanity, staying on the edge of the forest, and only feeding on wandering hikers every once in awhile. But when four teenagers decide to visit the caverns they will discover what true terror is and few can ever survive the night with . . . The Snow Walker."

"A young woman is trapped inside her vehicle after an accident leaves her stranded on the side of the road during a harsh winter storm... but she is not alone. Outside, something is lurking and it wants inside..."

"When the Hungry Hill, a man-eating hill with a cave for its mouth, swallows a party of humans, Bullseye Bigfoot, the giant sheriff of the nearby forest, must figure out how to rescue them. With the help of his wife Botanica and his son Boomerang (also known as Junior), Bullseye confronts the Hungry Hill and, using one of his wife Botanica's amazing plant powders, makes the hill let him enter. Before he can bring the humans out to safety, however, Bullseye comes close to getting trapped himself!"

Stacy
Advanced Member

November 9th, 2011, 12:33 pm #3

This is a GREAT thread idea!! I thought about asking for a Kindle last year for Christmas but changed my mind when I saw the prices for downloading most of the books -- cheaper than buying the physical book itself, true, but still more than the 50 cents or dollar I pay at rummage and library book sales.

But, I've since learned that you can e-checkout books from the library and so much more for free, or super-cheap like you've mentioned above. I really need a new nightvision unit, but... that Kindle is looking better and better all the time. :biggrin

Redwolf
Advanced Member

November 10th, 2011, 10:42 pm #4

I really love the feel and smell of a book in my hands. I could never give them up!

That said, I love reading when I get a chance on vacations or trips. I could easily use one of these devices. I could pack a ton of books without the back strain lol.

keilder
Advanced Member

November 11th, 2011, 11:13 am #5

I'm with you on this Red, I love the feel of a book and the ability to kick back and read on the sofa, flipping through. The BSc course I'm on at present a lot of the modules are on-line and the amount of paper and ink I've went through to print these off, just so I can sit back and read is getting costly and a pain in the ass.

I like scanning my shelves to see what I have from time to time too, I re-read Bill Brysons 'A walk in the woods' not long back as I spotted it again and recalled how funny it was.

I've been looking into these kindles and what does pique my interest is, well not the storage, 1000+ books but more so the useage time! 2-3+ months. Thats impressive, and I can see how as a holiday addition it would certainly be beneficial.

moregon
Advanced Member

November 18th, 2011, 7:12 am #6

I was snooping around just now and came across a bunch of books available from the Internet Archive as well. These books are all free to download. and those not available in the Kindle or other eReader format are usually available as either TEXT files or PDF readable by any PDF reader including Adobe. Just did a search for bigfoot and here's one I came up with, no Kindle but TEXT and PDF versions.

Abominable Snowment by Ivan T. Sanderson