packmule
BB Zeta

June 17th, 2008, 12:02 am #21

Cory wrote: If God stopped that man from beating that toddler to death, wouldn't he have to stop every other sin in the world as well?
Sure, and why not? If he's got the power then why not use it?
Cory wrote:The toddler that was murdered is evidently rejoicing in heaven right now
In your opinion. Others might believe the boy is simply biodegrading inside a coffin, and prematurely.
Cory wrote: I doubt he'd want to come back to earth
If he is somewhere else and I emphasize the word "if", then I would agree with you. Considering this child's last experience alive, being savagely beaten to the point of being unrecognizable by paramedics attending to him, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting any part of humanity again.
Cory wrote:Any religion, as I see it, is something you believe in, not something you visualize
I'm a "touch, see, hear, feel" kind of guy Cory. Believing in something I cannot see is a bit problematic for me.
Cory wrote:God can't be blamed for our sins, "for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God"
Assuming you're right then why the hell should I devote my life to someone who's under no obligation to do anything(back) for me? <_<

Archive
BB Kappa

June 17th, 2008, 11:56 pm #22

So basically, you think God should make the world perfect and sinless? Sure, he's got that power, but that's not how God created us. He created us to have a choice; in reference to sin. Obedience and disobedience lies within an individuals choice, not God's. Lucifer (the fallen angel), commonly referred to as Satan, is the one who started sin as we know it; rebelling against God by his own free-given will. Satan is, in my opinion, the enemy; he'll do anything to turn us away from God. The 27 year old adult male that murdered that toddler was likely walking in the footsteps of Satan.
wrote:...why the hell should I devote my life to someone who's under no obligation to do anything(back) for me?
How do you know that though? How do you know God hasn't blessed you or your family and friends?

Unfortunately, there's a lot of unanswered questions out there and never-ending debatable subjects. With that being said, I think I'll leave this topic with the following sentence (based on my opinion): Just search your heart, and remember that God gave you the choice to believe what you want to believe.

packmule
BB Zeta

June 18th, 2008, 2:50 am #23

Cory wrote: How do you know God hasn't blessed you or your family and friends?
I can't speak for the only three friends I have, all three grown men who have their own experiences. I can speak for myself Cory:
Blessing #1: until I was 12 years old I had no real family. I was an orphan and moved about from one group of people to another. Many of them were not pleasant but I was ignored and, in retrospect, it was probably the best result possible given the kinds of people I was around.
Blessing #2: I was adopted at age thirteen by a strict middle class family. No one in that family ever made me feel welcome and when I didn't live up to my adoptive father's expectations he essentially told me he regretted he'd ever adopted me to begin with.
Blessing #3: despite being part of this "adopted" family, from age 13 to age 34, I was, when my adoptive father died(in 1999), written out of his will by his three natural children(all are somewhat older than me).
I could go on with other things that have happened but I won't and I doubt you or anyone else around here would want to hear it. If you had lived my life thus far I think the last word you would use to describe the experience is "blessed"-that's my opinion on it. You believe what you want and I'll do likewise.

kato
BB Delta

June 18th, 2008, 6:52 am #24

I'm agnostic and a pessimist.

JaviCiari
BB Alpha

June 19th, 2008, 2:03 pm #25

I'm agnostic. So really I'm quite unsure if God exists or has ever existed. I have no problem with people who do believe or are religious, I just don't care to have it thrown in my face - everyone is entitled to believe in something.

Morgan
BB Kappa

July 13th, 2008, 9:28 pm #26

Yeah, we need an "I don't know" option in the poll. Some days I think there's a God, others I don't.

Clay
BB Kappa

July 13th, 2008, 10:15 pm #27

rockon1824 wrote: Yeah, we need an "I don't know" option in the poll. Some days I think there's a God, others I don't.
Added ;)

Morgan
BB Kappa

July 13th, 2008, 10:18 pm #28

Clay wrote:
rockon1824 wrote: Yeah, we need an "I don't know" option in the poll. Some days I think there's a God, others I don't.
Added ;)
Thanks a lot. :)

I voted.

Mike
BB Iota

July 23rd, 2008, 5:07 pm #29

packmule wrote:
Cory wrote: How do you know God hasn't blessed you or your family and friends?
I can't speak for the only three friends I have, all three grown men who have their own experiences. I can speak for myself Cory:
Blessing #1: until I was 12 years old I had no real family. I was an orphan and moved about from one group of people to another. Many of them were not pleasant but I was ignored and, in retrospect, it was probably the best result possible given the kinds of people I was around.
Blessing #2: I was adopted at age thirteen by a strict middle class family. No one in that family ever made me feel welcome and when I didn't live up to my adoptive father's expectations he essentially told me he regretted he'd ever adopted me to begin with.
Blessing #3: despite being part of this "adopted" family, from age 13 to age 34, I was, when my adoptive father died(in 1999), written out of his will by his three natural children(all are somewhat older than me).
I could go on with other things that have happened but I won't and I doubt you or anyone else around here would want to hear it. If you had lived my life thus far I think the last word you would use to describe the experience is "blessed"-that's my opinion on it. You believe what you want and I'll do likewise.
If life was always good, it wouldn't truly be good, just the same. It's just like waves of sound; the frequency cant go one way without going the opposite first. If it didn't do that, sound would be nonexistent.

My problems as I've mentioned before in the topic may not have been as bad as yours as you put them, but there's a bigger picture you can't see. Plus, you're only giving us the down points of your life. Can you honestly say nothing good has ever happened to you? Can you say that those experiences couldn't have possibly helped shaped your character, helped you to become a better person, and maybe helped those around you as well?

Like I said, I've had some low points as well. But I wouldn't trade them out for anything, because they are the direct cause of the happiest years of my life so far. I never would have met my best friend, who may not be around anymore if such was the case. I never would have joined cross country and met all the amazing people who are truly like my second family. I never would have been as close or strong in my faith had I not held fast through the tough times to come out the other side on top. I can't make you see it that way, but I hope you can at least see why it is that we do.

Cory: "Mwr is right." - HelenaZF: "Mike is right"
^ All will realize soon enough ;)]

packmule
BB Zeta

July 24th, 2008, 10:43 am #30

Mwr247 wrote:My problems as I've mentioned before in the topic may not have been as bad as yours as you put them, but there's a bigger picture you can't see
If there is a "bigger picture", as you suggest, then you're right, I ain't seeing it.
Mwr247 wrote: Can you honestly say nothing good has ever happened to you?
Yes.
Mwr247 wrote: Can you say that those experiences couldn't have possibly helped shaped your character, helped you to become a better person, and maybe helped those around you as well?
Yes. Collectively these experiences have, at least according to two counselors I used to see(voluntarily on my own time), made me bitter, suspicious, unforgiving and possessing an underlying hostility towards anyone in life that I don't know personally. I'm amazed, sometimes, that I have any friends, truthfully. I see the need to get along with others at work and I do so. I see the need to get along with others I don't know because I believe in the right of every person to be respected by others. That and my belief in trying to live a life of responsibility has, more than anything, kept me going and nothing else.

There are a handful of things I take some enjoyment in from life: my great fondness for movies, the internet, a few people I know I call friends and on occasion my work. Aside from that there really isn't anything else and I don't expect there will be anything else. I have no illusions about things: I've lived most of my life alone and I expect my remaining years will be the same. I've been labeled a pessimist and I can understand why. That said I don't see myself that way, only someone who has evolved based on the circumstances, and people, I've been around.