Seattle/Downtown - Seattle Sheraton 4*

Moderators: KeenWink, tilepusher, readymade

eekelly

09 Sep 2002, 22:12 #11

We enjoyed our stay 9/3-9/4, along with a large number of airline personnel. Paid $65 per. Typical convention hotel but still quite nice. Bathrobes, safe and two free bottled waters each day. Did have one kind of weird experience. We were given a room on the 29th floor, and we immediately noticed that the ac vent had silver duct tape covering it, except for a small place where it had come loose and it made a very loud hissing noise. Immediately called about this, and although they offered to send up a maintenance person, I reminded them that we were Starwood Preferred and we would gladly move to another room, since we were not yet settled in. We were moved to an identical room, without the tape, on the 30th floor and given access to the 32nd floor lounge that provided breakfast and evening snacks. I believe the "special" rooms are on floors 31-33.

Another nice experience - we had a case of wine that we needed to tape up for our air travel home, and when we mentioned this to the bellman, he offered to fix it for us. We gave him a $10 tip and he took it off. We went out and when we returned, it was in our room, taped with a handle, along with a half-pound box of delicious chocolates, gratis.

Sheryl

22 Sep 2002, 14:42 #12

Posted by dougiew on 9/22/02:

We stayed at the Sheraton two separate nights -- one on each end of a cruise -- and we could not have been more pleased with the hotel. All of the rooms have just been renovated, and they are beautiful and luxurious, adorned with unique art works that you actually notice, unlike what's on the walls in most hotels.

Also, you can't beat the location: right in the heart of Seattle, just a short walk from the Pike Place Market and even closer to downtown stores including the Nordstrom flagship and Bon Marche department stores. FAO Schwarz is directly across the street. Only two blocks away is the Seattle Monorail, which whisks you to the Space Needle and the other Seattle Center attractions in less than two minutes.

Here's the best piece of advice I can give: At the front desk both times we checked in, we were asked whether we wanted to pay $30 extra to be upgraded to one of the Tower rooms. SAY YES. I'm still kicking myself for having refused both times, especially since it was explained to us the second time that the upgrade included free local phone calls, free use of the health club and free breakfast. With our standard room during our second one-night stay, we paid a total of almost $40 for 2 local phone calls ($1.50 each) and breakfast in the hotel's Pike Street Market restaurant (outrageously overpriced, with $2.50 coffee and $3.50 orange juice), so we easily would have saved some $$.

The hotel does tend to nickel-and-dime. Guests must pay $22 per day to park (at least we didn't have a car), and, in addition to the charge for local calls, you pay $2 per toll-free call and $5 to use the health club. At least the pool and whirlpool are free.
Please place all of your Priceline bids through our Priceline link.
Please check rates at Hotwire and make your bookings through our Hotwire link.

Posts 0

04 Oct 2002, 23:35 #13

allanq
(9/30/02 1:19:38 pm)
Seattle Downtown 4* Sheraton Hotel and Tower
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stayed here 3 nights, 9/26-9/29 and was extremely satisfied. The hotel has just completed a total renovation and the rooms are beautiful. They are quite spacious. My room had two double beds, with plenty of room for a desk, two nicely upholstered chairs, and a coffee table. The bathroom was a nice size and well appointed.

When we checked in the front desk person noted casually noted that out stay had been pre-paid by Priceline. We asked for a room on a high floor and were given one on the 27th floor. In no way were we treated as second class citizens because of our booking through Priceline.

The hotel is in an outstanding location. It is easy walking distance to the Pike St. Market area, a block from the monorail to the Space Needle, and is right in the middle of a wonderful up-scale downtown shopping area.

The hotel is large, with many groups, but I didn't find that a problem. The hotel is arranged in such a way that the rooms form three spokes from a central core. This means that no room is very far from the elevator. All in all, I was very, very happy with this hotel.

hottopsf

06 Dec 2002, 02:40 #14

Stayed here this past weekend
Incredible location and though parking is 22 dollars it is good on your check out day utnil 6pm so if you checkin at 9am one day you can use it for 30-35 hours which it makes it more tolerable.

Front desk always seems short of staff for checkin but they are discreet in mentioning priceline. No offer to upgrade though I would have. Concierge very helpful!

A budget saving note in the room is a coupon book if you use your American Express card good for one entree free with purchase at Pike St cafe (in hotel) They allowed me to use this on full set menu which makes 2 eating a bargain

tthiele34

16 Dec 2002, 03:07 #15

Just got back from a GREAT stay at the Sheraton. We went on December 14 and checked out on the 15th. Used the valet parking service (it is 24 dollars) because the self-park lot was full (it is 22 dollars). The place was very busy, but the staff was courteous and helpful. We gave our Starwood number and asked to pay the 30 dollar fee to upgrade to a Tower room (better room and special amenities). The room was lovely, on the 34th floor, and nicely decorated. It was a king bed and they provided a rollaway bed for my son free of charge. The club lounge was really smashing. It had a beautiful space on the 32nd floor with refreshments (tea/coffee) throughout the day. Included was the breakfast buffet. They said it would be continental, so I wasn't expecting much, but it was yummy. We went and had exceptional pastries, good coffee, and the fruit platter was incredible. They had papaya, fresh raspberries, mango, strawberries, pineapple as well as the usual fruits one might find. They even had fresh orange juice! Then we went swimming in the beautiful pool on the 35th floor with panoramic views of the city around you. The pool was great and the hot tub too! My seven year old was thrilled that the pool wasn't too deep (4 feet all around) and that they provided kickboards. We didn't use the gym equipment, but it looked nice and was on the same floor. Magazines, coffee and juice were provided (complementary) poolside. They also gave out 2 towels per guest at the pool. Other amenties are provided with the Tower rooms that we did not partake in--nightly reception with appetizers and free telephone calls (local) as well as complementary shoe shine service and turn down service. All in all, it felt like we were at a resort instead of at a busy city hotel. Oh, one more thing, in the room there is a coupon book provided on the desk. In it there are some great coupons for Pacific Place (An upscale shopping center close by). One of the coupons is for a complementary ten dollar gift certificate for any of the stores at Pacific Place. It was a fun way to get a little treat for not much money. It's fun to get a deal!

clary99

22 Jan 2003, 19:13 #16

I stayed here with wife and kids for four days through New Years Day. I echo the positive comments by others. This was one of the nicest hotel stays I've had and I was quite pleased to get it for such a great price!

The towers upgrade wasn't available since the hotel was nearly sold out due to the Seattle Bowl. Being Starwood Gold, they put us on a "Club Level" floor and gave us access to the lounge, which meant free breakfast, evening appetizers, and a few other perks. They were running out of food on our first morning there and gave us and other latecomers vouchers good for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Nice!

We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant one night. My wife's entree arrived room temperature and she sent it back. They replaced the dish, took the charge off the bill and comped dessert for the whole table dessert. They were very gracious and the food was quite tasty.

The service from everyone we encountered was great and I even had a note from the housekeeper thanking me for the tips I'd left. That was a first!

The Cheesecake Factory restaurant is right across the street and open late, and the food court at Westlake Center (two blocks) offers a lot of interesting choices, reasonably priced.

I found that parking was allowed at metered spaces on the street from 6pm to 8am and was able to find a space within a block of the hotel each evening. Four quarters in the morning made us legal until we got our day underway. Much better than the $26 they were charging at the hotel garage.

blindfaith

19 Jun 2003, 06:42 #17

We stayed June 13-16 on a Priceline rejected (therefore Expedia Vacation Package stay), and I echo many of the comments above. We were in room 2328 I believe, which overlooked the Washington State Convention Center, which was fine, in a smoking (also ok) king bed room. Was that a heavenly bed? If it wasn't, it sure seemed so. We went without a rental car for the first time ever on this trip, and discovered a few things:
1. The Airport Express shuttle ($14 roundtrip) TO the hotel was great.
2. The Airport Express to the Airport, was 25 minutes behind schedule. We barely made our flight home, in fact, the door to the plane had been closed, good thing I was on my cell with a kind soul from Alaska Airlines who was really sympathetic.
3. We had a 30 minute or less walk to Safeco Field. All downhill. Can't beat that. (Got a ride back from friends)
4. It cost about $7 for a cab to International District, which is also near Safeco Field.
5. We never had to venture more than 3 or 4 blocks for a ton of shopping, dining, drinking, Paramount Theatre, etc.
6. The hotel bar was very pleasant.
7. A 12 ounce can of diet coke was $1.75. I never did see any deli/groceries in the 3 or 4 block vicinity.
All in all, a very good stay. I would have loved to get a $70 or $80 bid on Priceline, but was satisfied at the $108 approx tax included we ended up paying.

apseals

28 Jul 2003, 15:39 #18

Just got back from our trip and the experience at The Sheraton Hotel and Towers from 7/23/03 to 7/25/03 did not disappoint. There was no mention at the check in desk that I used Priceline at all. I had called the hotel prior to arrival to attach my Starwood Guest number to the reservation. I checked in at their special window for SG members. (It is free to belong....just join online.) Because of the hotel being very full, I was not offered an upgrade but was asked if I wanted a lower or upper floor. It was a room by the elevator, but did not hear it one time. The rooms have been totally remodeled and it was huge. Two sink areas as well. There was a sitting area, desk, amoire, and minibar area. The parking was expensive but it is at any downtown hotel in Seattle, or at least the ones I like to stay in. All in all, a great Priceline experience. The only thing I noticed that might be (or not) related to having a Priceline room is that they cleaned our two rooms at 4:30 in the afternoon and we were located on different floors and did not have a Do Not Disturb sign on our door. So that may or may not be because of having the room through Priceline. Would stay there again in a minute though! Great location to everything downtown from Pikes Market to Nordstroms and the monorail. They also arranged a shuttle to pick us up and take us to the Mariner's game. $5 each way and VERY easy and convienent.

harvardhockey

23 Aug 2003, 02:54 #19

Staying at this property right now, on a Priceline bid of $108 US.

I hold Gold status with Starwood Preferred Guest. Was not offered an automatic upgrade by the front desk clerk.

Was told that I could upgrade to a Club level room for $30, or a Tower room for $50. I declined.

Was told that all the SPG Gold status entitles you to is a late check-out (4 PM), and parking until 6 PM the next day (which others have reported is offered to everyone).

txlonghorn95

09 Sep 2005, 00:16 #20

Stayed at the Sheraton Downtown Seattle for 2 nights over Labor Day weekend (9/3-9/5) for $110. I cannot think of one negative about the hotel (other than the cost of parking, which is expensive in all major city downtown areas so it does not reflect badly on this particular hotel).

Room was huge. Bed was very comfortable. Great location - right across the street from the shopping district, convenient to all parts of downtown. We walked everywhere and took the city bus to other parts of town. Seattle has a great public transit system - use it! $1.25 off peak fares everywhere, even from the airport. Use bus 174 or 194 between the airport and downtown, it's only a 30-40 minute ride and much cheaper than a taxi. (see transit.metrokc.gov for details - their web site is great with maps and a point to point trip planner). So we did not need a car rental OR pay parking! There are a few "interesting" people who ride the bus but it makes the ride fun. Not scary at all.

Hotel staff was friendly. No mention of Priceline on checkin, no additional charges incurred either.