Priceline not as good as it once was???

Moderators: KeenWink, tilepusher, readymade

Priceline not as good as it once was???

kh3737444

15 Feb 2014, 14:35 #1

I have been using Priceline  for many years for my Hotel stays   ,(I can remember using them for gas and groceries back in the day)  ,but ever since they have started the express bidding ,I have noticed a real decrease in the deals that can be had by bidding  .I usually check Hotwire  to compare what I can get on Priceline, and Priceline at one time usually would always beat Hotwire by 10-20 pct ,but not anymore .I have even booked some of my stays with Hilton hotels through there website since I'm  a gold member with them I have to weigh if its worth saving 10.00 dollars at a Hyatt  Hotel (in the same stars and zone ) or paying $10.00 more and get the free breakfast and WiFi, I get as a gold member and accumulate more points with Hilton .I'm wondering If Priceline is moving toward phasing out the bidding process and going more   toward the express bidding much like  Hotwire model of doing business?

Sheryl

15 Feb 2014, 15:49 #2

I honestly don't think it's fair that you are posting this since you haven't posting a Priceline bid to this forum in nearly two years. Why are you asking our members to share that with you when you haven't shared with others?
Please place all of your Priceline bids through our Priceline link.
Please check rates at Hotwire and make your bookings through our Hotwire link.

Travelwonk

23 Mar 2014, 20:50 #3

I am also finding that Priceline is less useful than it used to be ( at least in NYC). There is now only one bidding zone less than 4* (Morningside Heights at 3.5 *). It means that there are fewer free re-bids available, and given that NYC is a last minute bidding place, one cannot wait the 24 hours to submit a new bid. I know that there are several 5* zones now.

Sheryl

23 Mar 2014, 21:01 #4

Travelwonk, I don't think you are being fair. You have Express Deals which are also a very good guide. The number of free re-bids shouldn't be a determinating factor if Priceline is useful. I think your goal of getting the absolute lowest price is misguided.

Travelwonk

23 Mar 2014, 21:12 #5

Many of the 4.5* and 5* hotels cater to the business people on expense accounts, so they charge for internet, etc. On my last two visits to New York, I found that booking directly with 3* to 4* hotels at the AAA rate got me a better deal than anything I could get using Priceline. i keep trying Priceline, though.

KeenWink

27 May 2014, 20:18 #6

Priceline continues to evolve. Over the weekend I did a bunch of research, and ultimately booked via Priceline retail, for a quaint hotel that we've never seen reported as a NYOP win, and where I didn't want to risk getting something else. So I booked directly (first clicking through the BFT link to PL). I hope this doesn't contribute to your (Sheryl) feeling that people are using the boards but not reporting their wins on BFT. Because although BFT was very useful in my planning strategy, I ultimately went with a Priceline retail choice.  It's cancellable, though I doubt NYOP will ever beat it.  But I'll keep trying, as the stay is many months out.  I hope BFT gets credit for the sale!

Thanks to everyone who posts their wins!
Please place all of your Priceline bids through our Priceline link.

Please check rates at Hotwire and make your bookings through our Hotwire link.

Sheryl

27 May 2014, 20:28 #7

KeenWink, you know I'm not referring to you and I've always said that Priceline is usually the best option but it's not always the best option, just as you found. Thank you for making your booking through the BiddingForTravel.com link.

RAM

13 Apr 2015, 00:51 #8

Almost a year later and Sheryl is still right as always. The best deals are still available from Priceline, near as I can tell, with Hotwire running a close second. You can still get crazy good deals on bidding but it will totally depend on availability. Where I really exercise caution is the number of beds required. The definition of double occupancy makes this the best money saving option for couples and singles.
Priceline retail offers a good starting point for research, but as KeenWink noted, it will be the going rate that you can get through AAA or other discounts. If you belong to a chain's rewards program, you will want to book directly with them if rock bottom price isn't your only goal. If you want to try something non-chain then I'd book PL retail out of loyalty to this site and what it has offered over the years.
I'm just thrilled some familiar names are around after all the travel adventures that have been posted over the years!