2* San Luis Obispo Villa Motel 7/13 $65

Moderators: KeenWink, tilepusher, readymade

2* San Luis Obispo Villa Motel 7/13 $65

travelbugmom

06 Jun 2014, 00:40 #1

NEW one for your list. Hard to bid on this area without many posts on BFT.  I know this area is so expensive and difficult to get a room via PL.  I looked for 2, 2.5 and 3 *'s Tried 3 * up to $75. no luck. Tried 2.5 * up to $70..no luck. Tried $60 for 2 * no luck...went up to $65 and got the Villa Motel. Looks pretty seedy. Not too happy..but this is the first stay of our N. Calif university tour. One night. At least it is close to Cal Poly. We shall survive. Ironically the price online is $65.99 for one queen and $85 for two queens. I checked Express Deals...they had ZERO 2 *'s in SLO. They had ONE 2.5* for $100. 

Sheryl

06 Jun 2014, 01:37 #2

Thank you for posting your bid. Bidding for a 2* anywhere is always very risky. You should think about that before bidding for a 2* again especially when you don't know which hotel you'll get. Did you remember to bid through our link to Priceline?
Please place all of your Priceline bids through our Priceline link.
Please check rates at Hotwire and make your bookings through our Hotwire link.

travelbugmom

06 Jun 2014, 03:51 #3

Yes..of course I bid via the link. Problem is...I couldn't go up in price...so I was stuck with a 2*. I didn't want to up above $75..even $70 was pushing it.

Sheryl

06 Jun 2014, 04:07 #4

Thank you. What was the rush? This stay is more than a month from now.

travelbugmom

06 Jun 2014, 04:34 #5

I just want to solidify my trip-get it out of the way-be prepared. We are staying at several different locations. This place does have frig and microwaves in the room.

I emailedl PL and complained that I paid the asking price on the web site. Actually MORE..because the web site for the motel offers a 15% discount, if you go through their site. 

I looked at the 1*'s posted on BFT and those are MUCH NICER and CHAINS...I told PL..that this dump looks like a 1 *...LESS than 1*...Stay tuned. Maybe they will give me a 1*...fine with me..if it's one of the major chains..those all have prices on their sites in the $100 range..hhmm I asked where was the 60% discount??? Not even 10 %...Maybe they are not aware!?!?!
Last edited by travelbugmom on 06 Jun 2014, 04:49, edited 2 times in total.

Sheryl

06 Jun 2014, 04:56 #6

A higher priced hotel doesn't always mean a better hotel. And chains aren't always better than independents. Quality isn't determined by the brand in most cases. It's usually determined by management.

travelbugmom

06 Jun 2014, 05:03 #7

Well often this is the case and bottom line..if PL is offering bidding for 60% off..this is the problem! Also...this is a popular time of year to travel along the coast of CA and I checked some other areas where we will be traveling and my dates are already unavailable. I just hope PL allows me to cancel my reservation, based on false advertising of the 60% off!

Sheryl

06 Jun 2014, 08:38 #8

travelbugmom, read that marketing language again. It says up to 60%. I've even seen 75% discounts and no discount (like in your case). I would advise you not to harp on that 60% number as that won't help you. Also, don't make any rash decisions on the locations that have sold out hotels for your dates. Just book a cancellable backup and be patient so something similar won't happen again. If you just want to get all your plans settled now, Priceline is not the way for you to go.

travelbugmom

06 Jun 2014, 21:13 #9

OK>..I was looking at the Express Deals. That might be the way to do. They are offering a 5% off discount, too. "UP to 60%"...well at price is just unacceptable..I will see what PL says.

Sheryl

07 Jun 2014, 00:55 #10

Express Deals are for those who don't like to bid nor want an upgrade. It's not the way to get the best price as bidding will always be cheaper. One thing I'm absolutely convinced of is that you must play by Priceline's rules. They don't allow you to make your own rules. That's why Priceline is not for everyone.