Greenspeed the beater bike

MacClyver
Cruiser

September 26th, 2016, 3:41 am #1

I bought my current bike new on amazon in March 2015, it is a 2014 SE Bikes Adventure 21.

I've added upgrades from my old 2008 Giant Boulder SE
Got single stay fenders, a bottle generator, a Button Battery taillight, a removable 1W LED headlight for night riding, a speed/odometer, and a rear carry rack

Also I run 26 x 1.75 tires on it with extra thick slime inner-tubes. My inner-tubes are from my old Boulder and between both bikes they have 3600 miles on them. Never need to worry about a flat again! Although when the slime gets up in the valve stem it is VERY annoying to fill them up.
More on my bike later !
Biking makes my lower back and knees hurt. I'd rather run if exercising or drive if I'm going somewhere. But I bike as much as I do because it's cheap ecological tranport.

Johnny Thunder
Hardcore

September 26th, 2016, 1:32 pm #2

Looks like a great "Go To" bike!
Ride what you like

MacClyver
Cruiser

September 27th, 2016, 9:30 pm #3

Well it rolled 2500 miles today .

And my maintenance report:
The bottom bracket shows no signs of play , the most I've ever gotton out of one was 3K miles, this one may go farther.
Steering bearing is shot, it showed signs of play around 750 miles, more of an annoyance than a functional problem.
Need to find some spacers to adjust front brake pads.
Rear brakes good.
Seatpost and fork are bent, have been for awhile.
Seat duct taped to the seat rail after it ripped off.
Tires which have been on for 1750 miles and have worn down to 3/32.
Biking makes my lower back and knees hurt. I'd rather run if exercising or drive if I'm going somewhere. But I bike as much as I do because it's cheap ecological tranport.

MacClyver
Cruiser

October 3rd, 2016, 11:23 pm #4

Got around to that maintenace today:
Front brakes adjusted
Chain oiled, next time I change my oil gotta try putting some old synthetic 5W30 on.
My Fork bent to the point today that my fender was hitting the bottom tube .
So I loosened my handlebars and spun the fork 180. I get a feeling it may not be the best idea, but I want to see if I can bend the fork back the same way it got bent to begin with. The fork from my old bike is compatible if this doesn't work, 5800 miles on that one and it never bent.
Also, adjusted my headset too, no longer jiggling, I wonder how long that'll last.

When I get my soldering iron later this week I'll be able to make my generator connections much more solid than tape and rubber bands. Just in time as I will soon need my headlight going to work.

Reading this project thread must be SO dull

Johnny Thunder
Hardcore

October 3rd, 2016, 11:28 pm #5

It's actually very interesting
Ride what you like

rwf 1944
Cruiser

October 4th, 2016, 1:57 am #6

good luck with the fork after all what could possibly go wrong

MacClyver
Cruiser

October 4th, 2016, 2:48 am #7

Thanks, well it might snap like my one car key did a few weeks back when it bent and I tried to bend it back, I think it will be fine though. Here you can see how badly it's bent, the green line is about where it should be

Also a sample of my headlight. Sorry my phone camera is poor, and I didn't want to risk biking while holding my bridge superzoom camera. I have actually had people tell me that they thought I was a moped from a distance, it is that bright.

Johnny Thunder
Hardcore

October 4th, 2016, 11:02 pm #8

Hopefully a spare fork will fit. That is bent bad. Bending it back might work, but it will be weak. Does the suspension work?
Ride what you like

MacClyver
Cruiser

October 5th, 2016, 1:49 am #9

That fork started bending after only like 500 miles, JUNK. No point in trying to bend it back. My old bikes fork is 1 1/8 also. The suspension doesn't work because the bent tube is jammed into the shock part. Riding it to the park and ride today it seemed fine.

Johnny Thunder
Hardcore

October 6th, 2016, 12:08 am #10

I got a cheapo Kolo suspension fork on my daily commuter and it's been working well so far after over 400 miles.....

My commute is 1/2 rough city streets and 1/2 smooth road. This "pogo stick" fork gives me the shock absorsion I need, but jumping off curbs and stuff makes it bottom out.
Ride what you like