BGE2 Announcement, trailer, breakdown w/ Mr. Ancel

Any information about BG&E 2? Post any interviews, reviews, previews, and news in this section.

BGE2 Announcement, trailer, breakdown w/ Mr. Ancel

Hraesvelgr
IRIS Initiate
Hraesvelgr
IRIS Initiate

12 Jun 2017, 21:29 #1

E3 2017 finally brought us "Beyond Good and Evil 2" from Ubisoft, with Michel Ancel at its head. The game is a prequel and 'Spiritual successor' of the original BGE, and after all the time that's passed, I'm not surprised. The setting needs a reboot and a reintroduction to a new generation, and it needs to be updated to modern game mechanics.

What we get is very different from what I think most of us were expecting, but Mr. Ancel has always been excellent at surprising us.

Here's an article where you can see the trailer and also a video of Michel Ancel talking about the trailer.

The trailer ends with some bars from the theme we all know so well, and a hint at some of the themes from the past game as well. Looks like with this prequel we're going to start somewhere very different, but head toward something more familiar.

What do you think?

Duke
IRIS Initiate
Duke
IRIS Initiate

12 Jun 2017, 21:36 #2

Wow. There's a lot to digest with this trailer. My first reaction was feeling a bit weirded out by the new style and characters. But ultimately I put my trust in Ancel. It might not be the game we wanted at first, but much of the spirit of BGE1 seems intact in BGE2. The breakdown of the trailer shows this a bit more.

Since I'm at E3 I'm going to try with all my might to get an interview with Ancel. So drop any questions in this thread or PM and help cross fingers that I can speak to the man.

deny
deny

12 Jun 2017, 21:37 #3

:handjeklap: :handjeklap: Am I the only one who thinks that the woman with the green eyes is Jades mother?

But I think it´s sad not to see actually Jade or Pey´j, but maybe will will see a glimpse of BGE3 with them in Part 2. Or as an extra they release BGE2.5 witch tells the story of Part 1  :handjeklap:

BUT HYPEEEEEEEEE!!

Is Someone in the Monkey Space Programm already? bgegame.com has many visitors^^

Hraesvelgr
IRIS Initiate
Hraesvelgr
IRIS Initiate

12 Jun 2017, 21:43 #4

Haha! I'unno what's on bgegame.com because the site isn't working for me. Too many visitors, I bet! Must be crashing it.

The green-eyed lady is definitely Jade's mom or some kind of relation like that. She looks so much like our Jade! And I hope everyone noticed the name of our heroine in the trailer. :)

Lightweight
IRIS Chief

12 Jun 2017, 21:48 #5

First off, I'm excited as all hell. After all these years, our efforts, our prayers and our tenacious willingness to keep this name and this game alive has finally paid off! And did you hear Mr. Ancel thanking the fans for around all this time! They were thanking us! You! Me! Little Timmy who never joined the forums but still loved the game! US!

That said, I wanna keep myself grounded. I'm loving the setting, the new characters, the prequel status (this can potentially answer many questions presented in the previous BG&E), and the fact that this looks way bigger than the previous BG&E already... but we've yet to see any real gameplay footage. I'm sure the game is not far along enough to show said gameplay footage, but while I trust Mr. Ancel wholeheartedly, I don't really trust modern Ubisoft, and any form of executive meddling could potentially mean trouble. Let us see the gameplay, and my worries can be laid to rest.

Also... shall we begin with our superfluous theorizing? I bet all my units that the woman at the end of the trailer was Jade's mom.

Also also, we might wanna begin thinking about redecorating the place. I think Monkey guy and Afro Girl should be in the banner.

(... "previous BG&E". Do you know how long I've waited to say that? It feels weird. So tingly.)
I need a wittier sig than this...

JFSOCC
IRIS Chief
JFSOCC
IRIS Chief

12 Jun 2017, 21:57 #6

I didn't notice the name, but then I came here just after the trailer

What can I say.

Do I like the prequel Idea, I don't think so. but I'm not yet sure if it is. Some people say it could be Jade's mother, but it could be Jade. I thought Jade might not actually have a mother.
I'll be displeased if I can't play as jade TBH.
Do I like the cussing? no, it's a significant break from the original in tone. I've never had a problem with fuck and shit and damn and all that, but I feel it doesn't really belong in this universe.

do I like the visuals?

Hot damn, that trailer is gorgeous, the world looks gorgeous. it looks verily inspired and different. However, trailers don't mean shit. I want to see gameplay.

I've been hyped before, and this trailer does all the standard Ubisoft hype tricks.
Now I know that Ubisoft is using Beyond Good and Evil as a risk to fend off hostile takeover. That means that they're heavily investing in this title, it also means that Michel Ancel is likely to lose a lot of creative control, which I find a large concern. I think the cursing in the trailer is indicative of the "We need to be cool and appeal to that particular demographic" attempt.

all in all. I cried for joy, because finally, a sequel is being made, it's a sure thing.
But I'm also worried that the universe I love is about to be hijacked in order to make generic appeal to the lowest common denominator triple A tower unlocks map open world Ubisoft standard game.

Which means one thing

We, as the fans, need to be vocal about what we expect from a sequel. We must let ourselves be heard to the point that we simple CANNOT be ignored.

Edit:
Lightweigth Ninja'd me on many points.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Ben Franklin

deny
deny

12 Jun 2017, 21:58 #7

Hraesvelgr @ Jun 12 2017, 09:43 PM wrote: And I hope everyone noticed the name of our heroine in the trailer. :)
No i haven´t. Or is that was the pig said?

I found two, maybe tree Easter Eggs in the Trailer. I don´t know how many there are. But I will watch it over and over and over and over again. ^^

@JFSOCC Maybe joining the Space monkey Programm will help.

And i have to say BGE had many easy parts. and a Map full of information^^, if you wanted

MasterHero
Initiate
MasterHero
Initiate

12 Jun 2017, 22:08 #8

I can't really believe it...
Not sure what to think.
But I like the new Setting :)

Michels & Gabrielles presentation rocked :)
Thanks for caring about the fans Michel :)

(Image from Ancels Instragram)

Denden666Piek
IRIS Universal Chief
Denden666Piek
IRIS Universal Chief

12 Jun 2017, 23:28 #9

Hiya everyone, I got so incredibly emotional from that trailer, I had to return here and express my enthusiasm. It was just perfect in every way. I just realized how passionate I still am about BG&E. :wub:
Power. Wisdom. Courage. My three BG&E copies. My BG&E Triforce.

JerichoMccoy
IRIS Agent
JerichoMccoy
IRIS Agent

13 Jun 2017, 03:13 #10

:superior: Oh yes. This feels good.

As I have told my friend, it looks to be a combination of The Fifth Element + Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy + Gorillaz. All in all, FANTASTIC.

Sharing the sentiments that others have proposed, no gameplay footage means keeping myself in check until I do but damnit, that trailer was so high quality compared to the last two that all in all, it should be something looking forward to.

That Monkey Program I will so submit to as soon as it is open and operational ^^.

Now...to think of a creative way to showcase our undivided love to BG&E... :D

Denden666Piek
IRIS Universal Chief
Denden666Piek
IRIS Universal Chief

13 Jun 2017, 05:35 #11

JerichoMccoy @ Jun 12 2017, 09:13 PM wrote: Now...to think of a creative way to showcase our undivided love to BG&E... :D
That's the Jericho I remember, alright! :lol: ^_^
Power. Wisdom. Courage. My three BG&E copies. My BG&E Triforce.

jadelink
Wanderer
jadelink
Wanderer

13 Jun 2017, 05:35 #12

Wow, a gathering of old timers and old fans of BG&E.. haha! Looking forward to the same vibe of game like the first one!

JerichoMccoy
IRIS Agent
JerichoMccoy
IRIS Agent

13 Jun 2017, 06:26 #13

Denden666Piek @ Jun 12 2017, 11:35 PM wrote:
JerichoMccoy @ Jun 12 2017, 09:13 PM wrote: Now...to think of a creative way to showcase our undivided love to BG&E... :D
That's the Jericho I remember, alright! :lol: ^_^
The more things change, the more certain things stay the same!

B)

daidalos
IRIS Supporter
daidalos
IRIS Supporter

13 Jun 2017, 11:08 #14

Am I the only one who is completly disappointed with the new trailer? To me this doesn't have anything to do with the first game. Of course, it has been almost 14 years. That is a long time. We have all grown.

Nevertheless, I HATE that 'mature' tone in the new trailer. This doesn't remind me even the tiniest bit of BG&E2. If you removed the pig with the moustache and the name of the game then I wouldn't have even realised that this is supposed to be BG&E2.

Of course I will still follow the development and see where this goes and I hate to be the party pooper here but I am really disappointed. :(

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Alexa
IRIS Chief
Alexa
IRIS Chief

13 Jun 2017, 11:59 #15

daidalos @ Jun 13 2017, 01:08 PM wrote: Am I the only one who is completly disappointed with the new trailer? To me this doesn't have anything to do with the first game. Of course, it has been almost 14 years. That is a long time. We have all grown.

Nevertheless, I HATE that 'mature' tone in the new trailer. This doesn't remind me even the tiniest bit of BG&E2. If you removed the pig with the moustache and the name of the game then I wouldn't have even realised that this is supposed to be BG&E2.

Of course I will still follow the development and see where this goes and I hate to be the party pooper here but I am really disappointed. :(
^^^ THIS. I feel so too. I think I'll elaborate as to why exactly later today, just letting you know right now that you're not alone in feeling this way.