Why oh why can't they just say what it is???

See something on aquabid you think is HOT??? Show everyone here!

Why oh why can't they just say what it is???

LoriSue
Advanced Member
LoriSue
Advanced Member

24 May 2011, 16:50 #1

This is so frustrating...I do like the multi's...

and seeing names like "Fancy" and all the others that they use to name Betta. I know it makes them more exciting sounding, but do you know who's fish I tend to drool over??? Karen's and Sherol's....not only because they are beautiful fish to begin with, but the way the names are presented. I hate looking thru all those fancy names people come up with...and trying to figure out WHICH part of the fish they are referring to...uggggg.

I did see a Black/White/Red Copper that I really liked his coloring. That is what caught my eye about him...but B/W/R Copper was NOT what he was called.

I think I'm gonna start making up my own names for the fish I put on there :-D

Lori
Not nearly enough tanks...not nearly enough room!

overacoppermoon.com

amandajf
Advanced Member
amandajf
Advanced Member

24 May 2011, 18:41 #2

lol/ worked for bettatalk for awhile.

Sherol
Advanced Member
Sherol
Advanced Member

24 May 2011, 20:07 #3

Fancy seems to be the term for marble. Alien also.. the rest is nuts. A lot of the fish are pretty but don't fit in a show class.. so you need something to make people look. I try to make sure a serious breeder has an idea of what my fish is before clicking. I hate clicking some fancy name and see a mess.. and all the extra letters and such..

amandajf
Advanced Member
amandajf
Advanced Member

24 May 2011, 21:03 #4

Agreed. I'm slow hwen it comes to normal names, but checking out AB I'm even more clueless.

LoriSue
Advanced Member
LoriSue
Advanced Member

24 May 2011, 22:20 #5

Sherol...You hit it right on the head...it is the "professional" types that I look at. I looked at one that said "Show Quality" and another one that said "Placed 1st in class"...Karen's fish and your fish....to me as a breeder THAT is what I am looking for...not someones "Blue Alien-fancy-big eared" piece of crap fish.

overacoppermoon.com

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

25 May 2011, 04:35 #6

Oh Lori your last line is just to funny. I agree with all of you. The names are ridiculous. And what's with the names Blue Devil or Black Devil? Are those legal names or just something someone made up?

LoriSue
Advanced Member
LoriSue
Advanced Member

25 May 2011, 19:45 #7

Bettawhisperer @ May 24 2011, 09:35 PM wrote: Oh Lori your last line is just to funny. I agree with all of you. The names are ridiculous. And what's with the names Blue Devil or Black Devil? Are those legal names or just something someone made up?
lol...crap...I forgot to add Monkey Faced...that is the newest name for white/blonde heads with black eyes...

overacoppermoon.com

Sherol
Advanced Member
Sherol
Advanced Member

26 May 2011, 23:32 #8

I checked out "Washington Apple" and for some reason expected green and red.. and it is a red fish. Gp figure..

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

27 May 2011, 00:36 #9

So still what's with the Devils? Real names or made up names?

Martinismommy
Advanced Member
Martinismommy
Advanced Member

27 May 2011, 15:33 #10

Bobbie, all my fish are "Devils" lol but not in a patterned kind of way.....They are just EVIL! lol

Sherol
Advanced Member
Sherol
Advanced Member

27 May 2011, 15:48 #11

I think 'Devil' is a black and red combo.. or at least that is what I expect to see..

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

27 May 2011, 16:13 #12

Ok so it's safe to say there is a breed as Devil? I see this term Devil used a lot.

gloriousbettas
Advanced Member
gloriousbettas
Advanced Member

30 May 2011, 17:06 #13

If you are breeding for IBC shows, then you want to use the names and show standards to breed fish. There are a lot of beautiful fish, but do they fit the show standards you are breeding for? If you are breeding for enjoyment or pets, then that is different. Enjoy those fishes.

Kendra ::bettas!!!::

17 May 2012, 15:08 #14

Why are you guys hating on overseas fish lolz all your fish originated there. Not only that you guys are trashing them it's a dam business to them obviously there marketing the fish. It's funny how you guys think western bred fish are better when they are clearly not as good as over seas. Why you trashing their business and then go be hypocritical and go on aquabid and buy a fish from overseas. I guess nothing is enough for you so called serious breeders. You guys are not even serious lolz just on a small scale, go to thailand betta farm that's sone serious breeders. Do you understand how hard these folks working this is their jobs to make a living. For fighter breeders out of 300 ponds your lucky to get 5-10 batches that are good and not only you have to wait 6 to 9 months to test meaning good batches bring in just enough money while regulars will make little money or get culled. I'm just saying why you guys hating and why so egotistical to saying over seas fish suck when clearly more western bred fish are not as good as over seas
And alot more deformities here in western world.

Sherol
Advanced Member
Sherol
Advanced Member

18 May 2012, 02:37 #15

First of all.. we DO NOT hate overseas fish. What we hate are some of the stupid names used.. but we DO understand it is a business and it is all about marketing. There is a frustration for breeders here that breed to the IBC standard reading about aliens, monster fancy, dragon or what ever else they come up with. Most of us now just use thumbnails and don't even click the ad for fish that don't look interesting.

Please do not even to begin to tell me I am not serious because I don't breed millions of fish. They breed that many as a livelyhood and most are muts going to the pet shop trade. Us smaller US breeders tend to breed to not as commercially interesting colors the IBC has on their standars. But I an NO LESS a breeder.
And, I work just as hard. It takes my time to keep good quality water and to breed these fish. As far as deformities I see more on the imports and the worst part is some breeder tries to make a profit. Truth be told.. if you are going to market you have to know WHO you are marketing to. So.. put "show quality" on a fish unshowable or what most US breeders would cull and you lose you credibility with us. If they are going to market to us I suggest they learn what is it WE like and market accordingly.

Most of us are also tired of purchasing a blue fish to cross to a blue fish expecting more irid fish and we get marbles, pastels and who knows what else. Leave a bad taste in my mouth to have just wasted all that money importing and having a wasted spawn. Newsbreak!!! We do not ALL buy from overseas. For a well bred line of fish we do not chance contaminating it with anything BUT a tried and true breeders fish.

So sorry if we offended you. But again.. you should really get to know who you are trying to sell to. Simple is always better for most of us.