Taking male out at the same time as female

Here is a place for you to show anything you are experimenting. Work or not, it doesn't matter. Who knows you might come up with a good solution.

Taking male out at the same time as female

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

28 Nov 2010, 22:03 #1

Ok so I accidentally discovered this. I raise the tiny duckweed plants. So I thought one day why not put this tiny floating plant in the spawning tank. I did it making sure that there was plenty of it under the spawning cup. What I found was that the male was more then happy to still build his nest under the cup with the duckweed there too. As the spawning began I found that the duckweed hair thin roots were helping to hold the eggs in the nest. Less work for the male. When the spawning was finished and I took the female out I found that for the next few days the male had literally little to no work to do as the eggs remained in the nest being held by the roots. In two days when the eggs hatched the fry was able to set or rest on the tiny roots of the duckweed. WOW no babies falling with the male frantically wearing himself out trying to keep them in the nest. This is amazing! Now to continue with the experiment in my next spawn which I just set up this morning I'm planing on taking the male out at the same time I take the female out and see what happens with the eggs and fry. This could be a great discovery for spawning males that like to eat eggs or fry. He can be taken out and you will still have a good batch of fry.Plus saving the male so much back braking work.. Here are a few pictures I've taken of the duckweed in the spawn tank.

Bubble nest, eggs, duckweed.

Newly hatched fry in duckweed

Pam S
Advanced Member
Pam S
Advanced Member

28 Nov 2010, 22:38 #2

Good idea with the duckweed.. like them not falling down..

My duckweed has a tendency to turn yellow.. it is use to being outside with more sun... maybe the pH might get to it ..

I don't have much to mess with.. since I put netting on top of my daphnia..

I use a flattened cup.. might have to try your idea next season..

Pam ..

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

28 Nov 2010, 22:44 #3

Pam I raise my duckweed in a 1.5 g. tank with a light on it 24/7. Also I have found that they don't like real high temps so I don't use a heater in that tank......Also for spawning I use the styrofoam soup cups cut down to about 1/2" -3/4" deep. You can see it in the second picture.

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

09 Dec 2010, 15:55 #4

Just did another spawn with the duckweed. The male is out and most of the fry are staying up in the duckweed nest.

GEBettas
Advanced Member
GEBettas
Advanced Member

12 Dec 2010, 16:15 #5

goodluck with the spawn....keep us posted

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

12 Dec 2010, 16:37 #6

Thanks. I have have three successful spawns doing it that way so far and have hundreds survive in each batch. I take the male out as soon as they hatch. No eaten fry. LOL If any do fall to the bottom of the tank they will usually find there way to the duckweed were they can rest in the tiny roots of the plants. Here is the latest spawn one day old.

GEBettas
Advanced Member
GEBettas
Advanced Member

12 Dec 2010, 17:11 #7

I like the technique... I might be the only one who can't raise duckweed...but really have never tried a tank... i do think I will try this thanks for sharing.

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

12 Dec 2010, 17:52 #8

Just be sure you stuff enough of the duckweed under whatever it is you use for the nest. Should be enough to cover the underneath of it. Don't worry the male will find room for the eggs. Let me know how it works for you.