Breeding Problems

Have breeding secrets you want to share? Looking for some special tips to help your pair to spawn? This is the place!

Breeding Problems

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

24 Jun 2012, 16:48 #1

Is anyone else having problems breeding this year? I have 3 pair that I have tried off an on for about the last three months and I can't for the life of me get them to do anything. I've been breeding Bettas for about the past 4 years now and never ran across this quite to this extent. :crying What's going on?

sonnyboy303
Advanced Member
sonnyboy303
Advanced Member

25 Jun 2012, 00:05 #2

Have you tried checking your ph? Mine love it at 7

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

25 Jun 2012, 01:20 #3

No I don't check Ph because I change there water twice a week with tape water and treatment.

jeffegg2
Egg

29 Jun 2012, 23:26 #4

I have three spawns this year, all doing great. I do rely heavily on the IAL however....

Jeff. :)

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

30 Jun 2012, 00:05 #5

I have them but haven't used them in a long time. Their pretty old I guess I should get some new ones.

DownSouthBettas
Advanced Member
DownSouthBettas
Advanced Member

08 Jul 2012, 03:54 #6

have you tried the 5 day live diet? I developed it for my older or hard to spawn breeders. I could get anything to breed lol....

day 1 - blood worms or black worms
day 2 - earthworms
day 3 - brine shrimp
day 4 - mosquito larvae
day 5 - wingless fruit flies

you can add beef heart into the mix or dried shrimp.

I have always had great success with this.

hope it helps!

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

08 Jul 2012, 04:45 #7

I do use Bloodworms and BBS but don't have the others. Have always before had luck with the bloodworm as conditioning. Thanks for all the help. Just have to keep trying I guess. LOL

halcorrigan
Advanced Member
halcorrigan
Advanced Member

08 Jul 2012, 15:18 #8

A couple other things to try -

pH - a drop in pH can trigger a spawn. I've triggered spawns by doing a water change with pH that's lower than their regular water. SLOWLY let the new water drip into the spawn container so you don't give them pH shock.

Temperature - warmth seems more conducive to spawning than cold. I know breeders who jack their temp up WELL OVER 86 to trigger a spawn.

LoriSue
Advanced Member
LoriSue
Advanced Member

25 Jul 2012, 14:50 #9

BW....Yes I have...4 failed spawns during all those lovely thunderstorms we just had. I am about to get an RO/DI unit. I do think it is our water.

I went through a bout of what looked/acted like columnaris but none of the treatments for it worked. I lost all my show males from last season, and one juvie (4 total). All my fish are kept in separate containers, water changed every 3 days if not daily. Three of them were related through the father, but one was totally unrelated. It only affected the males (and possibly one dt female...she was swabbed with PP).

You may need to go to a LFS and get RO water, or go to Walmart (or like) and get their "drinking water" I think.

Good luck!!!

(My last spawn was 5-31-12 with 3 living fry)

I live in Midlothian, Texas....Just southeast from you I think.
Not nearly enough tanks...not nearly enough room!

overacoppermoon.com

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

25 Jul 2012, 15:12 #10

Lori we have an RO unit. Maybe I'll try mixing it with the treated tap water.

LoriSue
Advanced Member
LoriSue
Advanced Member

27 Jul 2012, 16:16 #11

I didn't change anything, but I got a spawn this morning. I fed White Worms and grindals (before my grindals crashed) for a few days...don't know if that helped. I want to spawn the girl again in about a week to my DT male that is her 1/2 brother.

Good Luck!!!
Not nearly enough tanks...not nearly enough room!

overacoppermoon.com

gloriousbettas
Advanced Member
gloriousbettas
Advanced Member

11 Aug 2012, 15:10 #12

Good to see some conversation on the board again!

I make IAL tea for my water, so I don't worry if the leafs are old or not. I have a teapot that exclusvie use is to make Indian Almond Leaf tea for fish water!

I use the IAL treated R/O water for all my fish; not just the spawn tank.

I am with Erma on using the live foods. I raise daphnia moina, walter worms and Vinegar Eels.

Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member
Bettawhisperer
Advanced Member

11 Aug 2012, 15:30 #13

I'm confused as to why you would have to treat R/O water. R/O water is pure with nothing in it. That's the purpose of it. My son uses it also for his salt water tank and never treats it with anything. I used to use it for my Bettas also and never treated it. That's kind of like defeating the purpose of R/O water. In that case you might just as well use regular tap water and treat it.

gloriousbettas
Advanced Member
gloriousbettas
Advanced Member

11 Aug 2012, 17:38 #14

I just use Seachem Equilibrium to add back minerals to the R/O and all my tanks , even the few jars I use, have live plants. I also use the IAL in my water. This is just what I do but there are many ways to raise bettas.