The Spear Of Destiny

NPC

December 20th, 2010, 6:05 pm #1

[align=center]
NEIL DONOVAN, carpenter’s mate, privateer[/align]

[align=center]Date: 6-th of February 1719
Place:Aboard “Fate’s Hand”, anchored in Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas [/align]

It was early afternoon and Neil had nothing to do for the moment being. He leaned against a gunwhale, looking around. The port of Nassau was roomier… emptier without the two ships which were anchored near to “Fate’s Hand”. First, this morning, HMS “Rose” had weighed anchor. Then, at three bells difference, the French man-of-war too, and no other ship came to take their place.

He spotted Sharky not far from there, with a strange weapon he hadn’t seen before in his hands. It somehow looked like a spear, bayonet or arrow, but it was none of them. Yes, Neil had seen it the evening before, but he didn’t have the opportunity to ask his friend about it. And …Sharky looked somehow changed, in his opinion. A little changed for good and a little for worse, if he might think it this way. And he thought he might, because he had been the first one to befriend the strange little fellow they had found on that Spanish ship. Well, the fact that they happened to share the sickbay at the same time, and Neil was the strongest between them two, so he had to keep an eye on him, contributed to the friendship, too, but now the time passed, Sharky learnt a bit more English and made other friends too.

“What is this?” he asked with curiosity.

[align=center] This post has been written by ELENA[/align]

Shirai Masaki
Shirai Masaki

December 20th, 2010, 6:43 pm #2

Masaki had been happy with his new weapons, more than happy, to be honest. Finally he held the weapon of his youth, of his home, in his hands once more, memorys flooding through his mind when he carefully oiled the weapon shaft with clear oil, to keep it safe from the salt ad the water that was unavoidable on a ship.
He had two good harpoons by now and soon, he would have more... and would relearn to handle them. Maybe one day he would find a place to live, not as a whaler, of course and probably alone... but at heart, he till was a whaler. Like his father and his fathers father...
His hands were working on their own, while Masakis thoughts were drifting. He was a bit sad about his general situation now, after having *thought* that he could find friends here, starting with the other topman, the young boy on this Navy ship, but he had understood that they were worlds apart. He might have to live on a small ship with many of the round-eyed people, but in a way, he was alone. Had always been alone since the humpback... subconsciously a hand clenched around the smooth wood. Better not think about it, he had cursed that fateful day again and again.
No more.

Masaki twirled the harpoon in his hand testing its weight and balance. Not perfect but good enough.
He had been so absorbed in his doing, that he flinched heavily and ducked as if he was expeting to be hit, a reflex, ingrained into him through years of abuse, when Neil approahed him and asked curiously what this weapon was.
"Oh... is harpoon, Neru."
Sharky replied, smiling a bit embarassed when he understood that nobody was about to hit him.
"Is thing for kill whale, but can kill other fish. Often fish swim under ship and around... me think, why not eat fish, if there? Me can catch fish with harpoon, is good eat. Better than icky pork in icky barrel!"

NPC

December 21st, 2010, 12:23 pm #3

[align=center]

Neil chuckled at hearing the name his friend had for him. Nothing out of ordinary, he was already accustomed with it. He had tried to teach him how to say Neil, but to no avail yet. Well, he hadn’t succeeded to say Masaki accurately enough either. In the Irishman’s opinion, Neru sounded a bit like a name a Negro slave would have been called in Boston (yes, Nero, but he hadn’t heard about the famous Roman emperor; he barely knew how to read) or like a word in his mother tongue, Gaelic, meaning “the leading yew tree”, the one which marks a border (Newry). And Sharky had told him that in his far away language, it meant “sleep”. If he thought well, it might be suitable, too!

“Harpoon? I have heard of them. There were whalers in the area where I was born, but I hadn’t got the opportunity to learn much about them. Never went further than sharing occasionally a drink in a tavern…” Neil said, looking at it more closely. “So these are the weapons they use against whales? Interesting! I understand you did the same in your country… I am sure the cook won’t mind some fresh fish – neither would I. But I wouldn’t have thought you could find such a weapon here in Nassau. How have you succeeded?” he wondered, knowing that it wasn’t a whaling port like those at the Ocean.

And even if it was a whaling port, he still wouldn’t have expected Sharky to buy harpoons by himself, partly due to the topman’s feeble knowledge of English and partly because, in his opinion, a man who had got only about six weeks ago his first share of the prize money would have found so many things to spend the money on. Such as good food, good drinks and women – things a seafarer can find only in ports. Not that he was doing much differently anyway, and he could understand Sharky more than the others in doing so: first that he wasn’t accustomed with having money, after having been a slave for so many years, and secondly, there were so many things he had missed while in the power of the Spaniards.

“I saw you returned rather late last night. How did you enjoy your time ashore?” the Irishman further asked, with a bit of envy, as he hadn’t gotten shore leave yesterday, however it was rather good-natured curiosity than anything else, knowing how afraid Sharky had been the first times when seeing a British colony town.

Besides, he felt something was wrong. Sharky could fool anybody else, not him, the closest friend he had on this ship.

Shirai Masaki
Shirai Masaki

December 21st, 2010, 1:10 pm #4

Masaki put his harpoon carefully aside before he looked up to Neil.
"Hai , this use for whale."
he agreed quietly.
"Need put rope on end of harpoon - long rope - and make little circle with rope. Rope must be free, no catch leg or arm. If do, man dead. Whale pull in ocean, Davey Jones locker. ut here, me no want catch whale, but other fish. Catch whale need several men, many harpoon. Pointer, if good aim, one harpoon."
Lovingly, he trailed the needle-sharp tip of his new weapon with a finger.
"Me find young man other ship. Navy ship, big one, is sit there."
He gestured towards the place where the "HMS Rose" had been.
"Is boy more than man, but is be topman. He tell me, men in rigging is call topman. And boy be... ummm... mate no much time."
Sharky shook his head, grimacing.
"Boy say, is search fly-knife no can find here. Round-eye people no have fly-knife. Then, me is want harpoon, he is want fly-knife and me say: you find me harpoon, me give fly-knife. He say yes, me find some dagger, new hilt must come, then fly-knife. That why me is long in harbour, must show young man how make new hilt. And so me is has harpoon.. and more harpoon head back in ship. Must come wood, but then, good harpoon as well."

He had been pondering for a while what to do with his new harpoons and the harpoon tips. There was no way he would ever need that many harpoons... not until he became a whaler once again... but it would have been such a waste to leave the nice tips behind! They were good and would stay good with a bit of care and oil to keep the rust away... and maybe, just maybe he had an idea about a new kind of weapon he could use. Not that he looked forwards to fight, he was a peasant, not a samurai, all he had ever fought before were his older brother and sharks or whales or whatever else tried to kill him underwater. He had killed before... but as a last resort. To do so on purpose was something he wasn't yet familiar and comfortable with.

"So shore leave is much work, too, Neru."
he concluded with a wry grin.
"But now me is has harpoon and on sea, we is has fish for eat, no more icky pork."
At least they would eat better then, and there would be no fear of starvation as long as he had a harpoon left and this seemed to be everything he could hope for in this life onthe wrong side of the world, where he wasn't able to useanything he had ever learned in his youth, where his knowledge was worthless and he couldn't even speak or read the language. The promising young whaler with the keen eye and the fast arm was here nothing more than a halfwit...

NPC

December 22nd, 2010, 8:18 am #5

[align=center]

Sharky explained to Neil how the harpoon would function for a whale, and how for smaller fish.

“This is a good idea, you can catch smaller fish by yourself, and most men will give you things in exchange for a place at your table,” he grinned.

It wasn’t only the appealing perspective of a greater meal diversity, at least for Neil. It was also the thought that Sharky would get more appreciation from his crewmates. Some of them didn’t make the difference between a man who came from another country with completely different language and customs, and who was unable to express his thoughts properly in English because he was just learning it, and a man who didn’t have those reasoning capacities. Maybe new opportunities to draw some of them closer would end in better valuing him, as Neil had.

Then, Sharky told about the young man from HMS “Rose” who accompanied him, and Neil’s smile changed.

“Yes, you are a topman, this is the correct word. So he is a topman too, but he dreams of being a mate? In the Navy?” the Irishman snickered with contempt. “If he is young, then he may dream as much as he wants – the promotion opportunities aren’t exactly how one dreams them, especially in the Navy. We have better opportunities here, aboard a privateer ship. That boy needs a lot of good luck in order to achieve his dream… if he doesn’t die trying!” he said on a sad tone, remembering his own years in the British Navy.

Neil got from them a love for the sea, but definitely not for the King, the Admiral and those damn stuffed shirts who make a poor sailor’s life into a hell. The things were far brighter in privateering, at least while it was wartime. Afterwards, he had a trade he might use on an island somewhere, too… because why get back to Boston when there was nothing and nobody there for him anymore? There were, however, other alternatives to a land-based life, too…

"Boy say, is search fly-knife no can find here. Round-eye people no have fly-knife. Then, me is want harpoon, he is want fly-knife and me say: you find me harpoon, me give fly-knife. He say yes, me find some dagger, new hilt must come, then fly-knife. That why me is long in harbour, must show young man how make new hilt. And so me is has harpoon... and more harpoon head back in ship. Must come wood, but then, good harpoon as well." Sharky continued his story.

“I’ll give you good wood. I am not so sure what essence would you exactly need, but you are welcome to browse what I use and choose what suits you best,” Neil focused on his latest words, because these were what he could help with.

"So shore leave is much work, too, Neru," Sharky smiled strangely, ending his story.

“All work and no fun? I don’t believe this! Yes, I understand you had to work at those knives – I guess you kept at least one for yourself too, might I see it? I am curious how you made it. And then? Didn’t he treat you at least to a round of ale? If not, I understand why you are not so happy now… Neil tried to find out what had really displeased Sharky.

There must have been something else… A quarrel for a woman didn’t seem to be his style, so what had really happened?

Shirai Masaki
Shirai Masaki

December 22nd, 2010, 1:04 pm #6

Sharky grinned - there was no other word for it - sharklike.
"When me is spanish ship, captain is donkey ass."
he shared another one with his tories with Neil.
"Is buy food, yes, but food is be put bad barrel. Wood is go open and food is go green. And no is plant thing, food, mind you! Then, we no eat and is come no wind, we sit in bloody ocean like cat in bag. What do? Me try explain idiot... oh what word... mate?... man under captain... me is can catch fish, but need thing for that. need harpoon or knife and wood or... well... thing, you know? Mate say no and curse, think me want weapon for kill other men. Then me go, ask cook, cook scare, but know, no food there just officer is has food. Men angry for no is has food. Cook give dagger, me is steal wood, then has harpoon - bad harpoon, but catch few fish, all crew eat bit. No can eat, no can sail. Then captain is come, see and oh he hangry for think, me no kill fish, kill men. Is put me in brigg and whip... me never again try help bastard Spaniards!"

When Neil expressed his disbelief in such a young man like Martin getting promoted, Sharky sighed.
"Me think is can be mate or something. Is can read funny signs your language, speak language and other language, read map... well is not difficult read map... but still. And is not even has hair in face of self like round-eyed men is has! Me never learn all that thing."
The promise to get good wood cheered Sharky up a bit... after all, he knew not much about wood, he was used to bamboo more than anything else, but the rattan wood was certainly too weak for a decent harpoon.
"One knife me keep, but must do other hilt... hilt bit too heavy."
Sharky replied and handed Neil the dagger in question.
"Is only use for kill rat or other little thing... harpoon much better. With harpoon, me nail man to mast... dagger... phht! Little toy for child.
And yes, when hilt do, we go eat little bird with name shi-ken. But me no like ale-drink. Is bitter."

As bitter as he was, but that wasn't something he would mention, of course. Why should he? It wouldn't help to complain and whine about his fate, life was like it was. He could deem himself lucky to be alive and shouldn't ask for more. WHo knew what he had done in a former life to be punished like that...

NPC

December 23rd, 2010, 11:53 am #7

[align=center]

The carpenter’s mate listened carefully to Sharky’s story about catching fish while on the Spanish ship. It made sense for a mean slave owner to be afraid he would be the immediate target of an armed slave, but for a captain not to care if his crew would starve?

“You proved them that you were far better than them all!” he smiled friendly. “You are with us now, Sharky, a free man, among friends, and you’ll see your fate improve, ” he tried to comfort him. “I know you miss your country, I miss mine too, but even at the end of the war, I won’t return there. I’ll try to make a future for myself here around, in the West Indies, me thinks. There won’t be too many among us to return where they have been born, if there isn’t anything waiting for them in those places.”

And for him it was nothing, nowhere, while the West Indies were the realm of any opportunity. As long as he had a trade – and being a carpenter was a good one – he could find a job either aboard a merchant ship, or on one of the islands and start a new life. Eventually get married, if a lass would catch him enough to consider her worth settling down.

When talking about the young topman of HMS “Rose”, Sharky said, with a sigh:

"Me think is can be mate or something. Is can read funny signs your language, speak language and other language, read map... well is not difficult read map... but still. And is not even has hair in face of self like round-eyed men is has! Me never learn all that thing."

Somehow, Neil started understanding his way of thinking. So the discussion with that boy made Sharky unease, pondering about his own future in these unknown realms?

“You told me you can read maps too, the way they are made in your country. So perhaps you can learn to read ours too. I saw you standing at helm, steering the ship with sure hands; it means you have learnt to read the compass. I don’t think you need much more for reading maps. About several languages… besides your mother tongue, you speak Spanish and you have started learning English too, so you aren’t any different. The fact that you learnt Spanish will be useful even after the war ends, or more then than now. Besides, you have the advantage of serving on a privateer ship. It means a lot more opportunities than in the Navy! He dreams to become a mate, but it is unlikely for him to be one soon, unless his ship loses too many men in a battle. Here, on a privateer ship where nobody gives a damn about hierarchy, your topman skills were noticed quickly. If you have other skills, they can also grow and be valued better than any Navy sailor’s. I agree with you that it is possible for you not to learn EVERYTHING that boy knows, because his conditions when growing up were different; but he won’t learn everything YOU know, either, and one thing after another, you are a lucky guy who will find his own way in this world, both now and after the war ends,” Neil smiled to him encouragingly, and his big, shove-like hand gave Sharky a pat which, if the frailer man hadn’t been accustomed to it already, might have sent him flying.

He couldn’t blame a recently freed man for being worried about his future; but Sharky wasn’t any man, and where a few others hadn’t seen his potential, he and the master gunner had. He needed only an ambition boost, and Neil wasn’t sure how to succeed giving it.

“I don’t give a damn on those who think you can’t do what others can. They are stupid, not you! I have seen your ambition when the others haven’t been enough time around you to notice it. You can do whatever you set in your mind to do, you have the patience for it and you learn quickly. I guess you need an impulse to learn better English, and when your English knowledge will be good, nothing can stop you from getting promoted too. If you tell me what else you are good at or interested to learn, besides working in the rigging and standing at helm, and what you would like to do when the war is over, I might have an idea how you can achieve it,” he further thought to add.

Sharky smiled when hearing his promise of good wood, and he showed the Irishman the dagger:

"One knife me keep, but must do other hilt... hilt bit too heavy."

“You need wood for it too. I am ready to show you what I have spare. ”

"Is only use for kill rat or other little thing... harpoon much better. With harpoon, me nail man to mast... dagger... phht! Little toy for child. And yes, when hilt do, we go eat little bird with name shi-ken. But me no like ale-drink. Is bitter."

Neil laughed at the summary of the evening.

“Well, knives are handy too, not only for rats. I guess harpoons are better, because they kill the huge whales, but a good knife is also useful aboard a ship, or ashore. And yes, I guess one needs to be accustomed with ale in order to like it. I heard that the French and the Spanish prefer wine and cider. What did you use to drink in your country?” he asked curiously.

Shirai Masaki
Shirai Masaki

December 24th, 2010, 2:43 pm #8

"You is... choose go here, caribbean sea, Neru?"
Sharky asked hesitatingly.
"Me no is choose. Me is has good work, when still young, more child than man, but me learn hunt whale. Me bring home share of whale... maybe soon could safe money for have wife... all that. But then humpback come, Spaniards come... no more can go home. Is... forbid, leave home and go back... is crime. And people my land no hang, is too easy. Hang perhaps some minute pain. My land, put criminal too cross, like Jesus-god. Three, four days die."
He grimaced with the thought, but forgot about this gruesome death when Neil tried to encourage him by pointing out that he already had a certain set of skills, although it had been unused for many years.
"When me be cabin boy me in captain cabin, too."
he replied, wrinkling his nose again.
"Me no like, but... me see map there. Map of caribbean sea. In our country, we no take map at sea... easy get lost map... we is only has small ship. We is has card... here."
He raised a hand and with two fingers tipped against his temple.
"And we learn read stars in Nihon-ga... let Tsukiyomi, the moon, guide us. Tsukiyomi here is hang other stars in sky, but me recognize his hand even here. Me is here enough time for learn that. We has no fancy things like you has... but we whalers know what way to take, even if no star in sky and no land on horizon. Take other way with whale than without whale, for we know where water is run under water, other direction. Whale is sit in sea deep, water is pull back. Things like that important, too, me think. But who care what me think?"
He chuckled.
"Spaniards no is ask if me has learn thing or not. Me must do what told, even if no know what is, or cat. Or whatever else Spaniards think of. Now me can do every thing on ship. But no can use firegun. And cannon. Other things, no is much use, everyone can. Me no is "samurai... warlord my folk... me just as whaler. Me know how find whale, hunt and kill, bring home like do with other ship here. But ship no is whale... and me no know cannon. No use for fight."

Neils opinion about harpoons, that they were only good because they had the capability to kill a whale, made Sharky laugh.
"Neru... me tell you thing. Me no tell anybody else. Me is has kill man with harpoon before... me no want, but... man deserve it. Was... umm, what word... not captain, man under captain, spanish ship. Two year ago. He... strange... some time nice, some time not. Me think he no right in head, but he... well, me is make harpoon again, one day, for food bad and me think, maybe me can catch fish without tell. He find me with harpoon and be mad with rage. He me say... many things. What he do now for that, then he change mind and suddenly start take of shirt, take off clothes and say, he other idea, if me be good."
Masaki grinned ferally.
"But me know better to believe. Me wait bit, let man believe he won, then take harpoon and nail goddamn cabron to door, without clothes and go then. Nobody ever ask me again be cabin boy that ship. If I do with dagger... me no sure. Harpoon is make more scare for men... so some time, harpoon better."
He winked at Neil and nodded firmly, completely convinced that he was right. The shock for the man who had found the first lieutenant dead in a more than obvious situation would have probably distributed the story quickly enough to put either the fear of God or the slanted-eyed demon into the crews hearts.
Last edited by Shirai Masaki on December 24th, 2010, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NPC

December 24th, 2010, 11:27 pm #9

[align=center]
NEIL DONOVAN[/align]

Neil certainly didn’t expect Sharky’s question:

"You is... choose go here, Caribbean sea, Neru?"

The Irishman sighed deeply and looked at him straightly:

“No, I haven’t chosen it, but does it matter anymore? I am here, nothing and nobody waits for me in my homeland, so I am determined to make the most of being here. Who knows if the destiny wasn’t wiser than me to send me here for my best.”

At least, so he hoped. Perhaps something was waiting for him there in Boston, but nothing pleasant, so he’d better not return…

Sharky told him that he hadn’t chosen it either, he was a whaler, and he couldn’t go home, because leaving that country seemed to be forbidden and punishable. Neil shook his head in understanding:

“I had a good work too, in a small town near a bigger one. I was apprentice to a carpenter, I had friends… But it was war time, and the King needed more sailors and soldiers. So there were nice-looking men who went through the taverns, looking for young, strong boys. They ordered a round of ale for everybody at the table, but they were in understanding with the barmaid, and the strongest young men, when finishing their drink, found a silver coin, a shilling, on the bottom. Of course they took it in their hands, marveling what’s with it… and then the men gathered around and said: <You took the King’s shilling, come with us to serve the Crown at sea!> No possibility to avoid it anymore. And for those who tried to deny going at sea, when out of the tavern, they received a club over their head and they were carried to the brig. At least I didn’t resist them. I joined the Royal Navy. Then I got decommissioned when that war was over, and I got on a merchant ship. War started again, captain Ashton took me aboard. It was our destiny, both your and mine, to arrive here and meet.”

Indeed, at least he didn’t resist them at that moment. He knew that even aboard a ship, a carpenter’s mate was a good position, far better than a sailor. And about the “decommissioned” part, it was the shortest version, the one he usually told.

When asked about his skills, Sharky said that he had navigation skills: reading maps, reading stars... not only the ones in his country, but here too, as he had roamed the Caribbean for ten years.

" We has no fancy things like you has... but we whalers know what way to take, even if no star in sky and no land on horizon. Take other way with whale than without whale, for we know where water is run under water, other direction. Whale is sit in sea deep, water is pull back. Things like that important, too, me think. But who care what me think?" he chuckled.

”A good captain cares, especially if you make yourself useful during storms or bad weather. I am not talking only about <Fate’s Hand>, but when the war is over, if you don’t spend all your share of the prize, you may join me. We put our money together, maybe with another man if we find him, buy a small ship – a Bermuda sloop or a pinnace, and sail among the islands, fishing because you can fish, carrying goods… And your knowledge of Spanish might come handy too,” he grinned, as, in his opinion, “carrying goods among the islands” meant also smuggling with the Spanish and French colonies.

Sharky was further telling his strengths:

"Now me can do every thing on ship. But no can use firegun. And cannon. Me know how find whale, hunt and kill, bring home like do with other ship here. But ship no is whale... and me no know cannon. No use for fight."

”If you can do everything on ship, then you’ll have your bread assured both in war time and peace time. And don’t tell me that you are of no use for fight, because you know as well as I do, that your contribution to the latest two prizes was as important as anybody else’s. What if I learnt to use the cannon while in the Navy? People learn, it isn’t difficult. But you were up in the rigging, helping our ship to catch the other. Or at helm, turning our ship to the wind, to engage better the enemy! These are more difficult things than serving a cannon. Besides, I saw you with the cutlass too…”

Sharky laughed, telling him how he had killed a beast of a Spanish lieutenant with a harpoon. Neil had no doubt that a harpoon could kill a man. And strangely enough, this confession made him respect Sharky even more. What horrors he had survived as a slave to those Spaniards!

The Irishman, like enough of his people, was a Catholic. Enemy or not, Spaniards were Catholic too, and his eyes went wide at the story… how un-Christianly might a Catholic man behave.

”Of course your secret is safe with me. One human beast less in the world. Don’t expect anything else than admiration from me for this! And yes, I agree with you that harpoon was better to frighten the others. Now it’s over. You contributed to catching two Spanish ships, until the end of the war I think your revenge will be sated. Then you will be able to look forward, to a good future in peace time. And if you need a good advice about how to keep your share of the prize and not spend it foolishly, ask Doc. He had explained me too, and I used his advice."

Shirai Masaki
Shirai Masaki

December 25th, 2010, 4:23 pm #10

"Round-eye people strange habits..."Sharky stated with wide, confused eyes when Neil explained to him how sailors were recruited in England.
"If men no want be ship, how can do good work? Know not one thing about sail and wind and storm, no wonder desert and mutiny and all thing like that. And captain often no know more. That people never be fisherman my home... and no ask about whaler. We in ocean with ship like longboat for five day or week or more time... and we is return home. Storm, giant wave... no matter, we is must feed family, find whale. And if somebody my home take king shilling, we give back. King should better watch money, not put in other person drink."

Sharky shook his head, again convinced that he was right. To him, it was a honour to be a whaler or a sailor in general, but of course, not everybody was predestined for this. For generations his ancestors had ensured the survival of their community with braving the stormy sea and the dangers of the open ocean, it was in his blood.
He told Neil what he could do, yes, but to him this was nothing important, nothing of value... every whaler from his homeland would be able to navigate by starlight after being accustomed to the different constellations of the stars in the Caribbean.

"Neru, me no sure if want be on ship."
he finally admitted.
"Me only know what Spaniards do on ship... and you is say, English ship people bad as well, has cat and keelhaul. Me no want be on ship like that. Is bad bad thing if treat people, sailor, who is need courage and all like dog. Me no will go now for me no know where go...yet. Me stay and safe money-coin. No know what use for anyway. Now me has harpoon and dagger and cloth, food come from sea, no need buy more. If money enough and you think we can has little ship for live, me is with you. But first man I see with cat in hand that no is purr-cat, is first target harpoon."
Sharky took a deep, gasping breath, eyes narrowed into small slits of hellfire.
"Me no want kill men, Neru, even no want kill Spaniard men... but me no more slave. And me no want be crew with slave and slaver. Kill slaver is honourable kill, for is like shark. Shark destroy everything... must kill before kill you. Brrr.... damn beast! And some people beast to... and sadly, no matter what flag is on ship. First me think, English better than Spaniard, but me wrong. Merde! "
Masaki snorted and shook his head, visibly not content with the choices he had.
Neru, you think... maybe French is be better?"
he asked hopefully.
"Me no know about other folks yet... and me no believe Spaniards. Spaniards tell Brethren bad, English bad... me no know before English and me no know Brethren. Me only know little and so much things to know... all very difficult, me think. Not easy choose way."
Last edited by Shirai Masaki on December 25th, 2010, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.