NPC

April 7th, 2011, 6:47 pm #21

[align=center] Robert Black [/align]

Robert Black had been silent, listening and trying to understand as much as possible of the captains talk. He was still attempting to come to terms with the fact, that he was now by all purpose and intend a captain as well. But.. then, why not?
He had the knowledge, the experience as well and the only thing he was lacking was a sounding name... and for nowit seemed as if the sounding name didn't matter too much.
Of course he had heard the outragious rumours about the "Le Phenix" captain and how the defeated man had managed to save his life, his crew or at least part of his crew and his ship... simply shocking!
When the elegant man conferred with the english captain, a seemingly more down-to-earth man, the older captain immediately volunteered to take the most dangerous - but prestigious - first position.
That was fine with Black, but one thing he had to say nevertheless:
"While I agree with you, Mr. Crawford, that the "Le Phenix" will be certainly regarded as the juiciest bite, one thing will have to be changed about her."
He made a small pause, looking around from one face to the other.
"Ships of different flags, be they allied or not, don’t sail together in a convoy, and the damn pirates know it well! And since "Le Phenix" is the only french vessel..."

[align=center] This post has been written by ALCIA[/align]

April 8th, 2011, 4:49 pm #22

Raoul smiled when tasting the hors d’oeuvres, thinking that, at his turn, he would have chosen the same style of a statement of wealth and power, in praise of his country’s specifics, if he was the one to host this dinner. The display comprised an array of salted and preserved meats, smoked fish, salads, olives and other … It would have been obvious even for an outsider that they hadn’t left Jamaica much time ago, and the French Navy captain, who liked all social functions and also good meals, admired Captain Crawford’s good taste.

Then, he followed the discussion with all the attention. He was tired, and understanding all the accents and all the English words became an effort after a while, but an effort he was more than willing to make.

The British Navy captain proposed for everybody to rest one day before sailing out, but the most interesting proposal was to hold a gunnery practice together. Desmarais would be delighted, he was sure…

”I think it is a good idea. Shall we do it tomorrow? And leave the day after for the people to rest, then set sail at dawn on the 7-th?” he asked, with interest gleaming in his eyes, and with a nice smile.

He was curious how the new guns were to function, too…

The part with changing already into civilian clothes didn’t bother him a bit, he enjoyed both uniforms and other fashionable clothes. He also admitted the merits of the strategic placement Captain Crawford was proposing.

”Your arrangement makes sense, Captain. I respect and I highly appreciate your choice. Yes, the treasure she carries is seventy-four well hidden guns… all for them to receive the shots!” he chuckled, with the eyes flaming at the thought of revenge.

Nevertheless, when the privateer mentioned the problem of the flag, the turkey bite he had taken went the wrong way and he coughed loudly. It was outrageous and inconceivable, the beautiful French flagship sailing under the British flag!

..Yes, but it made sense, the older sea dog was right. Besides, how the pirates had the lily flower until the last moment? It was time to learn from them! He shook his head, as if to shake away his actual thoughts, he took a sip of the brandy, to clear his throat, and he answered:

”I hadn’t thought of it, thank you for having reminded it to me, Sir! Then, tomorrow morning we’ll have to write the new name of our ship… Would <Sea King> sound well enough?” he asked with pride, tilting his head.

If the name and the flag had to be British, at least to be a name worth for this proud sea lion!
Last edited by Raoul Duval on April 11th, 2011, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]
[size0]||Theme song || Biography || Plot Page||[/size][/align]

Gareth Sinclair
Gareth Sinclair

April 8th, 2011, 7:16 pm #23

Gareth had of course dutifully answered the toast to the king and then had remained silent, when the captains talked.
He used the time to regard the two men he did not know yet, the french and the privateer captain, the french captain accompanied by a dark-haired, silent man, maybe his first lieutenant.
But as a second lieutenat - well, he wouldn't be second lieutenant for long, after all - he was better off to remain silent. Therefore he used the time to get a first impression of the captains.
Captain Crawford, he did know, a level-headed, maybe a bit *too* english gentleman, and sometimes lenient to a fault... but well.
The french captain, like he had imagined it, a distinguished, a little elaborate man who looked as if he had stepped out of a Parisian fashion magazine... and that was only his uniform?? Oh my...
And then the privateer, a man, who had the open, though somewhat coarse face of a honest artisan... a man who might have been first mate or boatswain, but usually not in the upper ranks on a Navy ship.
But with the privateers it was surely different and the man was making a commendable effort to fit in... so why not? Gareth thought leniently, spearing an olive on his plate.

Miles Rowan Crawford
Miles Rowan Crawford

April 8th, 2011, 7:52 pm #24

"I think it is a good idea. Shall we do it tomorrow? And leave the day after for the people to res, then set sail at dawn on the 7-th?" Duval suggested.

"Sounds reasonable" Miles said.

Duval seemed to be a bit surprised (understatement) on the idea of putting on the British flag but finally agreed.

The lieutenants mostly kept silent. Miles studied the quiet Frenchman who accompanied Raoul. He found him sympathetic, judging from the look, and he guessed M. Laurent would be interesting to talk with. He didn't seem hasty like his captain.

Raoul. Only Mort knew about the burning hate under Miles' cold and polite mask. This man walks freely, enjoys everything life can offer and he's oblivious of what he did. All he cares for is his own glory, striking back to the pirates and fancy clothing, not necessarily in this order.

He smiled.

"Gentlemen, I hope our simple English cuisine will be at least satisfying" he commented on the first dish. He ordered the steward to spice it up with local specialities but of course they couldn't rival the French.

Miles himself preferred good ol' rare steak over those overrated mussels and oysters. Who could ever be filled properly with those things? When he ate meat he felt he had eaten something.

April 11th, 2011, 3:43 pm #25

Giles, seated next to Raoul, was outraged. He had to hide it from his face, but the rage was present all the same. Le Phenix would have to change her name in order to sail in a convoy of ships? They surely wouldn't do that. Le Phenix was proud of her heritage, proud of the name her countrymen gave her...It was bad luck to change the name of the ship. To fly a different flag was doubly so. (Whether it actually was or not was no matter, Giles belived as such.)

Giles' brow furrowed. His captain couldn't go along with this plan... He had bowed to the whims of far too many men in the last few months. Le Phenix had suffered, and the morale was at an all-time low, simply because of their last defeat. What would the men do to Raoul when they found out he had agreed to put their ship under the British flag, instead of their own?

Giles solemnly took a few bites of food, saying nothing. He wouldn't object so openly in public. He would wait until they had left the meeting and were safely back on Le Phenix to tell his captain that he's a lunatic.
[align=center]
Biography
[/align]

April 11th, 2011, 6:47 pm #26

The British Navy captain accepted that everybody needed rest, and nobody else protested. When Raoul met Giles’ gaze, he could read in it and in the furrowed brow that he had the same opinion about sailing under the British flag, be it only for a short mission like this...

The appetizers were followed by fried beef, fried fish, potatoes and peas, not before the English captain modestly said that he hoped it to be satisfying.

”Of course it is. Captain Crawford, your taste is exquisite, and after a full day, this dinner is tasting like ambrose, and the wine accompanying it is wonderful,” Raoul answered, gallantly.

His smile was genuine, as most local wines from these sunny islands had a similar taste with the Spanish ones he knew so well. But he hadn’t come here only to eat the British Navy’s food and to drink Captain Crawford’s wine, he had a purpose.

”I propose the common gunnery drill to take place tomorrow, at six bells in the afternoon watch, and all three crews to be informed about it, so at that time nobody to be ashore. Do you have any other suggestion?”

Once the tactics established, there should be convened special signals between the three ships, which nobody else could understand. But first things first... and testing the cannons was important.
[align=center]
[size0]||Theme song || Biography || Plot Page||[/size][/align]

Mortimer Quinn
Mortimer Quinn

April 13th, 2011, 7:29 pm #27

He observed with a slight smile the arrogance of the French Captain.

Sea King? Is that what he thinks he is? Then he must dream so much as me.

He wondered who would mistake a warship like Le Phenix, even without any guns visible, as a merchant vessel. Well, all-too-eager and greedy pirates, maybe. His doubts would only vanish in the battle to come.

With a sigh he finished the last piece of fish and took mentally notice of the cannon session of tomorrow morning and rest of details.

When Duval asked about other suggestions, he couldn’t resist telling his own point of view.

“Sir, as we are from different countries, we have probably different flags codes. We should build a few battle tactics and signals that are clear to everybody." He felt all eyes on him but he was not shy, it was like telling a joke or expose a theory in front of other middies. No, he was not really nervouse, but started to speak without thinking too much. "Also an exchange of one or two lieutenants between the ships could help for a better understanding. I mean in case one of our Captains has a new plan during a battle and changes suddenly the tactic. We are the first who knows, or should know, what is happening.” He was not sure if everyone catched his idea, but then he had to admit a problem in his own suggestion. “Unfortunately my French is not good, what is with yours?” he asked Sinclair. “.. or your English?” his eyes met the too silent First Lieutenant of Duval.

April 15th, 2011, 6:10 pm #28

Giles wouldn't admit his disgust at spending even a few moments with the boring English. He had never met an Englishman that he actually liked. It was not that he was looking for things to dislike about them, but most of them were too stiff and uptight for his liking. He didn't make any hint of this in his face, however. He would be as gentlemanly as possible over the course of the next few days.

"I assure you, monsieur Quinn, my English is well enough," Giles put a smile on his face, purposefully. He was going to get along with these people -- they were allies after all. "It does sound like a good idea, Monsieur," Giles added afterward.

He picked at his food, awaiting his captain's reply to the whole thing.
[align=center]
Biography
[/align]

Gareth Sinclair
Gareth Sinclair

April 15th, 2011, 9:33 pm #29

Gareth had been eating his fish in silence... he had no idea about what he could talk. Not that he was stupid, but this wasn't the time for him to... learn. He would have to do a lot of learning, until he could ever claim the title of captain to himself, but that was nothing he had to broadcast through the alliance. Therefore he made the wise decision to merely make n interested face, looking from one person to the other, occasionally nodding or cocking his head until...

"Uuuh... french? I am very sorry, but my french is certainly nothing to write home about, I'm afraid."
he admitted hastily.
"Certainly not enough for a suitable conversation."

Miles Rowan Crawford
Miles Rowan Crawford

April 16th, 2011, 9:52 am #30

"I think that time is fine for the practice" Miles said. "And further, we should agree in special signs that other ships can't understand."

Mort's idea seemed good, it would let them help to know the other party, but Sinclair admitted he was not good in French and Mort wasn't too stellar either. Not to mention he wouldn't have liked the idea to send any of them in the lion's lair.

"It seems our allies beat us in the front of languages" he said with a laugh. "I speak French, but of course, I can't leave my ship."

Meanwhile the next course arrived.

"Let's return to the signs" he suggested.