Vee Jay 498 Label Correction Appearing On 581

meaning-less
Level 3

5:42 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #1

I am expecting a copy of "Please Please Me" / "From Me To You", Vee Jay 581. This is the Rainbow label variation.
 On the A Side of this example there seems to be a try at correcting the printing error that occurred on the original 498 issue which misspelled Beatles with two T's. 
On this 581 there is a space between the T and the L in the word Beatles.
This is the brackets label variation on both sides with left justified title, artist and catalog number on Side A but not B.  Side B has a distinct pressing ring that is not present on Side A.
I have found this error correction on the Vee Jay Oval label variation of 498 and I am wondering if this correction attempt was ever discovered on the later brackets label?

namralos
Level 5

2:04 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #2

The paste-up correction was made by Southern Plastics only, and so it continued to later copies pressed at that plant -- including the 581s.
The brackets-label copies of VJ 498 were from Monarch only, so they don't have the correction mark.
I think all copies from Southern plastics are the same way until they switched to the larger typeface with wide, round print.

socorro
Level 5

6:08 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #3

Great info, Frank.