Photobucket Links Dead

socorro
Level 5

June 30th, 2017, 9:50 pm #1

Hi all, I'm not sure where to post this, but I am truly bummed that Photobucket just yanked the rug out from under all of its users.

If you want to be able to post pictures to third party sites (such as this forum) you now need to pay $399 per year.

I could see trying to wean users off a free, ad-based model. This is an extortionate way to do it though. It was done with absolutely no notice, so there is no means to migrate my stuff to another service without a huge gap. Unless I pay an amount that seems truly excessive.

Unless the many members here who use Photobucket decide to pony up, or migrate their photos and update the links, the old threads will be text only.

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

June 30th, 2017, 10:16 pm #2

My photobucket still works fine. Still able to copy the link from their site to show a picture on this thread....

socorro
Level 5

July 1st, 2017, 2:02 am #3

I wonder if this is somehow a US-only thing.

Mike
Level 4
Mike
Level 4

July 2nd, 2017, 7:09 am #4

No, it's UK too. Where I work we sell things on eBay and used Photobucket for over 5 years to host the images used on our listing templates. Now Photobucket have done this, meaning I now need to go and manually edit over 2,500 listings to remove the broken links and replace them.

Absolutely disgusting.

muffmasterh
Level 6

July 2nd, 2017, 9:19 am #5

Mike,Jul 2 2017 wrote: No, it's UK too. Where I work we sell things on eBay and used Photobucket for over 5 years to host the images used on our listing templates. Now Photobucket have done this, meaning I now need to go and manually edit over 2,500 listings to remove the broken links and replace them.

Absolutely disgusting.
i get regularly frustrated with photobucket ( last night it was down again ), but i did sign up for an account a few years back cos i reached my free limit so now i pay ( not 399 though ) and my stuff still seems to be ok.

you can try imgur Mike...

muffmasterh
Level 6

July 3rd, 2017, 12:11 am #6

I CAN NOW CONFIRM photobucket have stopped me posting links to 3rd party sites. They haven't yet removed my old links, as soon as they do i will cancel my subs.

As for new images, i suggest we all move to another file share site such as imgur which is what i have gone back to this evening.

You are right Mike, not only are photobucket a useless bunch at the best of times, now they are a f*ck*ng bunch of t*ssp*t money bagging c u next tuesdays !

W*nkers

Mike
Level 4
Mike
Level 4

July 3rd, 2017, 11:48 am #7

There's been such a huge backlash against them (understandably so!). What they did was suddenly change the T&C without any prior warning that they were going to do this, and then slap a $399 ransom onto every user to get their photos back. They even blocked all 3rd party hosting for paid accounts, as you have found out, Henry!

As many people have pointed out, it's pretty much ransomware. They've seen the recent spate of attacks and must have thought "Now *that* is a good business model!"

All they had to do was give users 2 months or so warning and then introduce a scheme where they charged something like $4.99 a month - most people would have been happy to pay, mostly for the convenience. Now they've pissed off all of their customers and completely destroyed their credibility.
Last edited by Mike on July 3rd, 2017, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

muffmasterh
Level 6

July 3rd, 2017, 3:42 pm #8

Mike,Jul 3 2017 wrote: There's been such a huge backlash against them (understandably so!). What they did was suddenly change the T&C without any prior warning that they were going to do this, and then slap a $399 ransom onto every user to get their photos back. They even blocked all 3rd party hosting for paid accounts, as you have found out, Henry!

As many people have pointed out, it's pretty much ransomware. They've seen the recent spate of attacks and must have thought "Now *that* is a good business model!"

All they had to do was give users 2 months or so warning and then introduce a scheme where they charged something like $4.99 a month - most people would have been happy to pay, mostly for the convenience. Now they've pissed off all of their customers and completely destroyed their credibility.
like i say so far my old links still work but the second they go off my involvement with sickbucket will cease and i hope they go to hell in a hand job

just found out imgur can edit pics and add text using same software as sickbucket, very useful.

Mike
Level 4
Mike
Level 4

July 4th, 2017, 3:00 pm #9

Imgur is a good place for simple image hosting - I used to use them back when I was originally selling off my whole collection. Unfortunately eBay now won't allow Imgur images to be hotlinked to any eBay listing.

So I use www.ebayphotogallery.com these days - if you know how to get a direct image link from their gallery they support images up to 1000 pixels wide, which is more than plenty. I've not had a problem with broken images. Touch wood.

muffmasterh
Level 6

July 4th, 2017, 9:22 pm #10

Mike,Jul 4 2017 wrote: Imgur is a good place for simple image hosting - I used to use them back when I was originally selling off my whole collection. Unfortunately eBay now won't allow Imgur images to be hotlinked to any eBay listing.

So I use www.ebayphotogallery.com these days - if you know how to get a direct image link from their gallery they support images up to 1000 pixels wide, which is more than plenty. I've not had a problem with broken images. Touch wood.
Mike my Imgur's links seem to work ok on my ebay listings ...