namralos
Level 5

9:58 PM - Sep 23, 2018 #11

I saw it mentioned on the Hoffman forums.
I haven't seen the single itself.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dl-8-NOUcAA1GFy.jpg

AurelianDE
Level 2

12:51 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #12

Good grief. I'm not sure about the music yet (that 'Fuh You' single is terrible, for one), but I must say I'm fed up with Paul's very odd understanding of 'fans first'. A special edition for spotify streamers? Another one for BN? A regular and a coloured version plus a regular version in an irregular sleeve? Mind you, 140g is quite sufficient for audiophile quality, 180g is just a hype. And you put 57 minutes on two LPs (when, for example, Sting had one LP plus a one-sided LP, priced below a double)? And you still have to buy a CD if you want to listen to the two bonus tracks which would have fitted on the album quite nicely. And you have a cheap flimsy single sleeve for the regular edition (that is, two picture panels) and printed inner sleeves (so tight that you can hardly remove the records), and a concertina (leporello) gatefold (six picture panels) with different artwork inner sleeves for the extra editions. I must say, I've given up 'collecting' Paul variants. He does it on purpose. Didn't he say in 1968, when Ken Scott told him that Fans had detected differences between the mono and stereo records. 'Oh, let's do it on purpose the so they have to buy both versions!'

Many people say that New was his best album in years. Well, if dated production gimmicks and sloppy lyrics make a good album, Egypt is better. Better than Memory Almost Full, his most grown-up lyrics in decades? And better that Chaos and Creation with its relaxed sound and meticulous musicianship? I doubt it. No, I don't need five different versions of this. Frankly, I don't even care for the bonus tracks on the deluxe CD.

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

4:09 PM - Sep 25, 2018 #13

De gustibus non est disputandum but I think it’s a terrific LP. I really like the production. Yes, At the moment I think it is much better than Memory almust full and Chaos and creation, but that may change in the coming years. McCartney LPs need to age imo.
Concerning the multiple releases: Macca fans are used to it (and will remember No more lonely nights, Ou est le soleil, All my trials CD singles, etc.) but it is a bit annoying indeed. It feels a bit unnecessary for such a big name but making an album costs quite a lot of money for a record company and they will sell may only about 200,000 copies these days. The rest is streamed probably. Luckily no one is forced to buy anything and personally I can resist these releases nowadays....
Concerning the white album: that never was a sales trick probably. If so they would have added different songs or would have made the mixes more different, and they would have advertised it as such. It was just a little joke. Probably the differences weren’t even known in 1968, and after that the mono LP was discontinued. I doubt many people bought both the stereo and mono version in 1968.

AurelianDE
Level 2

6:19 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #14

servi wrote:Concerning the white album: that never was a sales trick probably. If so they would have added different songs or would have made the mixes more different, and they would have advertised it as such.
I should have been clearer about that 'little joke'. No, it wasn't a sales trick. Ken Scott remembers that during the White Album sessions he mentioned that fans had found differences between mono and stereo versions of an album. It seems they were talking about Sgt Pepper. When the mono mix was done, for instance, they changed the speed of several tracks until it sounded 'fine', and when the stereo mix was done, all they remembered that the speed had been changed but nobody had taken a note by how much. They didn't really bother because it was 'only' the stereo mix. As a consequence, there were differences between the mixes that were actually noticed by fans at the time. At which point Paul alledgedly said, 'we could do it on purpose'. That was a joke, or only half of a joke. Fact is that the differences on the White Album are even more noticeable (down to the editing, see Helter Skelter), and it is a remark that is quite in character in hindsight, given Pauls attitude regarding money and marketing.

Of course they wouldn't have advertised it, even if they did it on purpose. How? 'Hey, listen, we'd like you to buy two copies of each album!' The Beatles were fond of hidden messages and little inside jokes, as we know. They might well have said, hey, here we got a little riddle for the fans to solve. Let them compare versions!

As I said, I suspend my judgment as far as the musical merits of the new album are concerned. I agree with you that McCartney albums age at different speeds, and some of them need time to be appreciated. I remember that when Chaos and Creation came out I found it completely unremarkable. It's quite high on my list now.

I'm not sure albums have become so expensive to make that we should gladly accept any marketing ploys unloaded on us. Egypt Station went to the US #1 slot with 153,000 album equivalents sold (147,000 in physical albums). Of course, that's abysmal, and it may well be that numbers are still going down. Memory Almost Full sold 161,000 copies to reach #3. BUT an album breaks even at much lower numbers. The point is that record companies are reluctant to publish (especially new artists') albums when each only yields a very small profit. The musical landscape of 2018 is very different from Pepperland, even if there is an Adele from time to time.

namralos
Level 5

1:58 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #15

And now there's this for RSD Black Friday...

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10473

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

5:38 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #16

Thanks for the info. Seems a US only release meaning we Europeans will have to pay $$ on ebay probably...