Kenya - Abbey Road

socorro
Level 5

May 14th, 2018, 4:12 pm #1

It appears that only three of the original LPs (plus two post-breakup compilations) were manufactured in Kenya.

I have been able to confirm Abbey Road, Let It Be and Hey Jude. They are all very elusive.

Abbey Road and Let It Be were issued on one box and two box labels. I have seen Hey Jude only on one box labels.

The one box labels appear to be UK labels (or copied from UK labels). They have the PPCS catalog number, and say "Made in Gt. Britain" at the bottom. These copies are easily mistaken for UK export pressings (which, in fact, seem to be far more plentiful, but are in far greater demand). The distinctive raised perimeter, however, indicates that these ones were made in Kenya.

Amazingly, there is a confirmed one box copy of Let It Be pressed on Columbia error labels in Kenya, which has the "Made in Gt. Britain" statement at the bottom.

The two box copies have the PPCS catalog number, and say "Mfd. in UK" to the left of the spindle, but "Made in Kenya" at the bottom.

A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to find a copy of Abbey Road with the two box labels. It arrived today.

It all starts innocently enough, with a standard G&L laminated front sleeve:

The rear sleeve sports a red shop sticker from Assanand & Sons, Nairobi. It also has the remnants of a sticker over the Apple logo. It likely was a gold Parlophone sticker, but the foil part has been peeled off.

Then the main attraction. The raised perimeter pressing mark is plainly visible. Two box labels with PPCS catalog number, and "Mfd. in UK" text to the left of the spindle, but "Made in Kenya" at the bottom.

pierroferrero
Level 2

May 16th, 2018, 7:53 am #2

Nice!
Exactely the same as mine
I also have the same style record store sticker but with another name .
No sticker on the Appel for mine.
Great find.
Ps : Socorro I received a few days ago a nice stock copy of the 20 greatest from Mozambique on ring label! ;)

socorro
Level 5

May 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm #3

Hi Pierroferrero, good to see you here!

I didn't realize you had this one. And congratulations on finding the Ring label LP from Mozambique. Two extremely rare LPs from Africa.

Any chance you have any other goodies you'd like to share with the class?