Indonesia 10" Various Artists Compilation w/ Paperback Writer

socorro
Level 5

2:41 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #1

In earlier threads, we discussed various countries' efforts to censor or outright ban the Beatles' music.  We noted that there appeared to be no Beatles records produced in Indonesia, aside from some cassette tapes that appeared to date to the 1980s.  

In 1964, Indonesian president Sukarno nationalized all British companies with operations in Indonesia, and his speeches against the British were literally incendiary (a mob burnt down the British embassy).  Sukarno also denounced the US.  Western books and movies were banned, and Beatles records were burned (there are photos of this but I can't locate them online).

In October 1965, Sukarno was replaced by General Suharto in a military coup.  The governmental opposition to the Beatles continued, however.  In August 1965, the government demanded that Radio Australia cease playing the Beatles and other "hot music."  The Suharto government was also incredibly brutal, killing approximately half a million people in the period following the coup.

It was not at all surprising, therefore, that none of us had seen any Beatles records pressed in Indonesia.  Then I saw this 10 inch VA compilation.  

I spoke with the seller, and track 1 is a bootleg of the Beatles, track 2 is a cover sung in Chinese (he thinks).  

Paperback Writer was released in April 1966 and the other tracks date to around the same time, so it was it appears to have been made at the height of the post-coup massacres.

It's pretty amazing that this was made, in light of the Suharto government's demonstrated brutality and hatred of the Beatles.  I suspect that names of the artists were omitted deliberately, but it still seems extremely foolhardy.

I should be receiving it in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by socorro on 12:57 PM - Oct 11, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

5:42 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #2

Let’s hope the first track is indeed the Beatles version!
I only knew of one Beatles-related EP from Indonesia, it’s a VA compilation that contains “Bip bop” by Wings from 1972.

socorro
Level 5

9:31 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #3

The seller says he's pretty certain track 1 is the Beatles (the uncertainty was whether track 2 was sung in chinese or another asian language).

I believe this expands the group of countries where there is a single confirmed copy of a single record to 3 -- Surinam, Honduras (legitimate contract pressing of Oldies for DIDECA) and Indonesia.  

Do you have pictures of the Indonesia EP?

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

6:01 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #4

There is also only one confirmed copy of Rubber soul from Croatia but that is 1980’s, and possibly also of the 2 Egypt red label LPs.
Below is the Indonesian EP, also a pirate release like the 10” above. There is another McCartney EP on discogs. There may be more like these: unofficial VA 7”, similar to Thailand, Iran etc.

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

6:01 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #5

From a book by Markus den Boer.

socorro
Level 5

6:43 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #6

I forgot about the Croatian Rubber Soul. I can't tell you how many Yugoslavia one box LPs I checked the rim print. Probably close to 1000, all Jugoton.

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

7:23 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

There must be more copies, unless this was a very limited batch of which most copies got destroyed in the Yuguslavia war (assuming this LP was pressed before that). There are numerous cassette tapes on Croatia Records, but LPs are impossible to find indeed. Like you I also searched many Yugoton pressings without success (it yielded a lot of Yugoton label variants however).
I initially saw the Rubber Soul at Utrecht Record Fair many years ago, but thought that 40 euro was too expensive, as I considered this only slightly rare than the Yugo pressings. Several years later, the same dealer still had this same copy and then I didn't have to think twice....

socorro
Level 5

6:32 PM - Yesterday #8

The Indonesia record arrived.  Here's a better scan of the two labels.

It came in an interesting company sleeve.

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

8:24 PM - Yesterday #9

Thanks for posting ! That sleeve is nice to have with it.

socorro
Level 5

8:32 PM - Yesterday #10

Agreed.  The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure the photo on the sleeve is the Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) train station.  Maybe Ambassador had operations in both countries.  The seller bought it at a flea market in Jakarta and sounded like he had lived significant parts of his life in Indonesia (he's in France now).