Ebay 'shill' Bidding

pks1985
Level 2
pks1985
Level 2

November 20th, 2013, 11:05 am #1

Is there a way of properly reporting a seller for 'shill' bidding on their items.

There is one particular seller, whom I won't name as it can't be proved, who seems to always relist things that sell days earlier. Constantly overpricing items and achieving very high end prices.

I'm almost bloody certain they are at it

the57thbeatle
Level 4

November 20th, 2013, 1:14 pm #2

I don't think there's anything you can do, except when it is so very obvious (one eBayer bidding on all of another eBayer's items). Like we can't do anything about Dmlecki with all his fake acetates........ :angry:
Last edited by the57thbeatle on November 20th, 2013, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacey
Level 2
Pacey
Level 2

November 20th, 2013, 3:12 pm #3

I liked it when you could view the other bidders in an auction. Although having the same users bidding on a number of your auctions over time is not unusual, it at least gave us an insight into the possibility of a seller shill-bidding.

socorro
Level 5

November 20th, 2013, 3:22 pm #4

As much as shill bidding annoys me, the ability of Dmlecki and gabybutti to poison the well with fakes -- with impunity -- is far worse. I've tried reporting ganybutti, but ebay is not set up for that kind of reporting.

The most egregious shill bidding I've seen recently was for a Bolivian Rubber Soul. A zero feedback bidder made more than 40 bids, about 15 seconds apart, in round number increments, bidding up an earlier bid from around $500 to more than $1300. Unfortunately, the zero bidder shill got too greedy and "won" the auction for $1375. A few weeks later, the same LP (it was offered by the same seller and had a distinctive mark on the rear sleeve) was listed. This time a three feedback bidder bid it up in numerous round number increments but dropped out at $600. As a result, it went for $627. So I guess the seller lost more than $700 for going to the well once too often the first time.

Pacey
Level 2
Pacey
Level 2

November 20th, 2013, 3:37 pm #5

Ebay must surely keep an eye on these instances… I imagine the seller, in your example socorro, posted a 'non-paying-bidder' claim to get back his final value fee. If a seller keeps doing this, surely it rings some alarm bells somewhere…?

Mind you, having said that, I've had one particular record that has received different non-paying bidders on at least two occasions. I've never encountered that in the past, so for it to happen to the same disc multiple times is unfortunate – but perhaps I'm now on eBay's watch list because of it?!
Last edited by Pacey on November 20th, 2013, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockySassoon
Level 2

March 24th, 2014, 12:01 pm #6

I was only ever aware of "friends" of sellers pushing the price - then after the auction has ended, you get an email, saying that the buyer can't complete the transaction for whatever reason and the item is offered to you as the second highest bidder - pretty obvious!
This week I had the case of someone trying to outbid me during the last few minutes in the smallest possible steps - then as he realised he went past my bid, he withdrew his last bid during the last two seconds, leaving me as the "lucky winner", ha ha...
I then had a look at the profile of the seller's "companion" and I couldn't believe it. He had 340 withdrawn bids during the last six months.
I reported the case to ebay and told the seller to keep his stuff. He then accused me of allegation and told me to never bid on his items again. Of course I won't!!!
Needless to say, ebay did nothing. It's beyond me, how anybody with a bidding record like this can continue with that crap for months.

socorro
Level 5

March 24th, 2014, 2:01 pm #7

Rocky,

That's outrageous. I thought there were limitations on withdrawing bids near the end for just this reason, but obviously ebay is not policing this.

I can't believe that a buyer with that many withdrawn bids is permitted once it is brought to ebay's attention. There is no legitimate reason for that.

jimboo
Level 3
jimboo
Level 3

March 24th, 2014, 3:03 pm #8

Shill bidder prosecuted
This sort of conduct strikes at the heart of that trust which is vital if this very, very useful commercial medium is to continue to operate successfully”

Judge Peter Benson
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10510086

muffmasterh
Level 6

March 24th, 2014, 5:27 pm #9

we all know it happens, but only this weekend I had a winning bidder fm Japan pull out on me for not an obviously very good reason ( sorry bid on wrong item - was clearly using google translate which didn't help either i admit ) and apart from spoiling my auction i had to offer it up to the second bidder and worry that he might think I am trying to pull a fast one grrrrrr.......

rsinige
Level 3
rsinige
Level 3

March 24th, 2014, 5:45 pm #10

My only experience of this was when I bid just over £100 for a Beatles single. When I bid the record was at the starting price of £4.99. I didn't win the record as a last minute bid came in and beat mine by a fiver. Obviously I don't know what the Max was but I lost the auction. Within minutes of the auction ending I had an email from the seller stating the winner couldn't complete and I like the record for my maximum bid of the £100+ I bid !!!! In principle I declined cos I smelt a rat!!
Oh the record was a push out made in France Hello Goodbye!!!!
I've got principals, wish I didn't! Ho hum!!!
Last edited by rsinige on March 24th, 2014, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.