All Things Must Pass STCH 639

beeb
Level 2
beeb
Level 2

June 9th, 2018, 2:33 am #1

I have a still sealed very early copy of this UK issued LP in a USA imported box purchased in February 1971. The initial release was November 1970.

My understanding is that the initial UK made box was to large and the contents rattled around inside. Initially this was addressed by adding a piece of corrugated card so that the contents fit more snugly. The problem was also addressed by very quickly importing a USA box which was slightly thinner and held the contents more snugly.

Is my understanding of why/how early 1971 issues of this LP came in a USA made box correct?

Thanks

Michael

muffmasterh
Level 6

June 10th, 2018, 1:17 pm #2

its not clear, however my understand is that ALL early pressings came with a USA box and poster and predate the UK boxes, this may have been due to production issues in the UK box so it was easier just to import the USA boxes. You are correct in that when the UK boxes do arrive they came with a " stiffener either in orange or white ( the earliest UK ones may have been orange - again not 100 percent certain ) but this was not an uncommon feature on some UK classical box sets.

As an aside, on the very earliest pressings there is a label error which says " recorded in england " this must have been copied from the Capitol and is a pure error, it is a text used purely by Capitol and has no place on a UK label.
Last edited by muffmasterh on June 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gxios
Level 1
gxios
Level 1

June 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm #3

I have a UK box which contains a 1G side 4, but it's only been in my possession for 18 years of so.

beeb
Level 2
beeb
Level 2

June 12th, 2018, 5:36 am #4

I also understand that all three textured inner sleeves that came with "All things" LP, whether in a UK box or USA imported box, were made in the USA.

namralos
Level 5

June 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm #5

As I understand it, several countries imported their own boxes at first. This is why they chose to use the USA catalog number for the LP.

servi
Level 5
servi
Level 5

June 13th, 2018, 7:07 am #6

Why is this a US catalog number, Frank ? I thought it was a unique worldwide number for ATMP only, but I haven’t studied the Capitol release history.

muffmasterh
Level 6

June 16th, 2018, 2:12 pm #7

gxios wrote:I have a UK box which contains a 1G side 4, but it's only been in my possession for 18 years of so.
AND it may be correct, 1G does not always indicate an earliest pressing and it is unclear when the UK box came in, all we can say for sure from 40+ years of handling them is that all early copies seem to come in usa boxes and all later issues come in UK boxes but its that segment in the early middle period that is unclear....

However if the UK box came in early it must have run alongside the usa boxes for several years as the usa boxes are the most prevalent

muffmasterh
Level 6

June 16th, 2018, 2:17 pm #8

it is possible again that the Klein/Apple pressing their own records may be a factor, maybe Klein thought is would make him/apple the most money if they sent the states made outer packaging around the world. The recorded in England error shows that the artwork originated from the states and some bozo at emi UK lemmingly copied it until it was spotted and removed.

namralos
Level 5

July 3rd, 2018, 3:20 pm #9

The catalog number is a normal number in Capitol's numbering system from 1970. It falls between ST-638 (Merle Haggard) and ST-640 (the Cromwell soundtrack) -- both released in November, 1970.

STCH is a Capitol packaging code. S indicates Stereo. T is the main line price code. C indicates 3 records. H indicated a boxed set.

All Things Must Pass came out during a brief period when Capitol was uncertain whether to assign solo Beatles releases to the Apple series (3350+) or to the Capitol series. Beatles records were usually numbered in the Capitol series, but records by other artists were in the Apple series. Now with the Beatles "broken up," Capitol seems to have been wondering how to deal with their contract. Ringo's "Beaucoups of Blues" single was numbered 2969 in the Capitol series, but it had received temporarily the number 1826. The corresponding album was in the Apple series at SMAS-3368. George's "My Sweet Lord" was numbered 2995 in the Capitol series, and so was All Things Must Pass, but when the second single was pulled from the LP it was numbered 1828 in the Apple series.

namralos
Level 5

July 3rd, 2018, 3:21 pm #10