5th Book Name???

skippy888
Mite

November 2nd, 2010, 11:04 pm #1

Firstly I must sy that I greatly enjoyed Jonathan's new book (The Ring of Solomon). I am also fan of history and although it was not hard to predict the 4th book name (see other thread) I'm sure there will be more books. My favorite line in the new book is Bartimaeus... 'what I don't know about etiquette...'. The books historical setting opens up a world of possibilities for a 5th book. I was so impressed with the first world Jonathan created; with the semi reality based round London and the Political elite and ruling class of magicians, the wars for the Colonies and the 'spirit' and human characters. I remember a quote for the original Dune series by Frank Herbert being so believable and so complete a world. Tolkien's world being in this genre. It's the details that count and the hinted at depth and avenues left unexplored. I love the semi-Dickensian world of London. I think the 5th book may well revisit London but be based in recorded history. So for my prediction I will mention unusual settings from the past. Perhaps others have some suggestions? Perhaps Bart has to find something he lost thousands of years ago.

Interesting events where Bartimaeus might have also been linked;

The downfall of Tipu in and Tipu's Tiger (Now on show in the British Museum). Perhaps the The Relief of Mafeking. The 'Black Hole of Calcutta'. The siege of Malta, Lepanto, Salamis, the Crusades, Venice (the Lion of Venice), the Gallic Wars, even the siege of Famagusta when they knew they were in trouble when they ate the last cat. Did he cross the Alps with Hannibal? I still think the 'Defenistration of Prague' reeks of Bart's mischief. How about Queen Boudica and her chariot? (Bartimaeus and the chariot of Boudica). Did Bart cause the Wall Street Crash of 1929? Was Bart there at the Boston Tea Party? He would have enjoyed that! Hagia Sophia and the fall of Constantinople, Easter Island, Troy? Did he know The conquests of Cortes and Pizarro (Tenochtitlan). Was he tasked with the room of gold? (Bartimaeus and the Room of Gold). Did he meet Napoleon in Egypt? How would he describe the little man? Or the really strange tale of Böttger and the discovery of the secret of Porcelain at Meissen. Did Bartimaeus in fact have to help Shakespeare? Or build the Globe or Tower Bridge? But my favorite is probably the Egyptian King Akhenaten and Queen Nefertiti. She was elevated to the unusual position of co-ruler and was by all accounts an amazing beauty (was Bart smitten?) When he became king Akhenaten moved the capital lock stock up the Nile. An amazing feat. He so upset the priesthood (Magicians) that after his death they obliterated his name for every monument they could get their hands on. Their son, none other than King Tut-Akhenaten or 'son of Akhenaten' often called 'King Tut' by the Colonists and the boy king Tutankhamen by others. By chance (?) his small tomb was finally discovered by Howard Carter in 1922 in the Valley of the Kings. Many 'wonderous' (and perhaps magical) things were rediscovered. The 5th Earl of Carnarvon (Obviously a retired Magician) opened the tomb with his daughter (?) .....but there are many strange tales of them perhaps taking a sneaky preview of the contents... why? Then there is the curse... and the beautiful Leopard Skin footstool of Tutankhamen (Bartimaeus and the Footstool of King Tut!)

We want MORE please Jonathan. Bartimaeus is a genius character, with the ability to extract the good from the worst of us, to devour the prosaic, to dragoon dilettantes and discombobulate the events of history (more long words also please). I appeal for more Bartimaeus, more mischief, more fun. Long live Bartimaeus.

Many Thanks

Skippy888
Sorry, I forgot to mention Thomas Blood, the Crown Jewels and the Tower of London ...and to thank the proprietor of this excellent portal for all their good work in supporting us fans.
Last edited by skippy888 on November 2nd, 2010, 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick76
Mouler

November 12th, 2010, 8:01 pm #2

I will put forward a most unusual suggestion. Very few people know (and even fewer books report) that in July 1334 in my home town of Bologna, Italy, a battle took place with was called... The Sh_t Battle! (Seriously!).

The town was being controlled by foreigners (French), who exploited the local population. The people of Bologna rebelled, so the French troops retreated in a castle near the city gate. The local population did not have any stone-throwers and could not possibly siege a castle, but then... Someone had a smart idea: let's literally cover them with... You understand, don't you?

At that time, very few people had toilets at home and cities were full of animals (horses, for examples), therefore it was easy to find "ammunitions". For days, the castle was constantly bombarded and the weather was so scoarching... After a while, the French surrendered. Besides being funny, this story also proves that a war can be won at no cost and without taking any human lives.

Now, imagine if Bartimaeus had been there. Can you imagine him suggesting how to win the battle... and maybe giving a "contribution"?

Nick
Multa non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus sunt difficilia (Seneca).

November 13th, 2010, 9:20 am #3

Nick76 wrote:I will put forward a most unusual suggestion. Very few people know (and even fewer books report) that in July 1334 in my home town of Bologna, Italy, a battle took place with was called... The Sh_t Battle! (Seriously!).

The town was being controlled by foreigners (French), who exploited the local population. The people of Bologna rebelled, so the French troops retreated in a castle near the city gate. The local population did not have any stone-throwers and could not possibly siege a castle, but then... Someone had a smart idea: let's literally cover them with... You understand, don't you?

At that time, very few people had toilets at home and cities were full of animals (horses, for examples), therefore it was easy to find "ammunitions". For days, the castle was constantly bombarded and the weather was so scoarching... After a while, the French surrendered. Besides being funny, this story also proves that a war can be won at no cost and without taking any human lives.

Now, imagine if Bartimaeus had been there. Can you imagine him suggesting how to win the battle... and maybe giving a "contribution"?

Nick
That is a really interesting story.
If Bartimaeus had been there the locals would have used him to fight the French unless the French had more powerful demons at their disposal. I somewhat think it is likely that he could have suggested such a idea (but might have made sure he wasn't anywhere near the castle when the locals decided to implement the plan) but I don't see how he could have made a contribution.
"If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination ... no more men!" - Einstein
"I like quoting Einstein. Know why? Because nobody dares contradict you." - Studs Terkel.
<@Ximenez> Sentynel: But i have a life? No. Qed.

Nick76
Mouler

November 13th, 2010, 11:00 am #4

nathanielandbartimaeus wrote:"I don't see how he could have made a contribution."
Well, that depends on the nature of the contribution. But I wouldn't get into details here, after all this is a public space...

Nick
Multa non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus sunt difficilia (Seneca).

indie2
Foliot

November 13th, 2010, 1:08 pm #5

Nick76 wrote:I will put forward a most unusual suggestion. Very few people know (and even fewer books report) that in July 1334 in my home town of Bologna, Italy, a battle took place with was called... The Sh_t Battle! (Seriously!).

Nick
OMG!. you have just made my day, especially since i was having a cr*ppy one to begin with : D

Damonenkopf
Foliot

November 14th, 2010, 8:31 pm #6

If it involves sh*t, demolished buildings, or footstools, you can bet Bartimaeus was involved.

:pirate1:

Give a jackass an education and you get a smartass.
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" - Homer Simpson
wrote:Oh, im also a pirate.

Saiph
Imp

November 14th, 2010, 10:04 pm #7

Damonenkopf wrote:If it involves sh*t, demolished buildings, or footstools, you can bet Bartimaeus was involved.

:pirate1:
I can't stop laughing! Thank you, I needed that!
Ugh, I just choked on my own spit.

Damonenkopf
Foliot

November 16th, 2010, 12:35 am #8

Saiph wrote:I can't stop laughing! Thank you, I needed that!
Ugh, I just choked on my own spit.
Anytime.

Give a jackass an education and you get a smartass.
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" - Homer Simpson
wrote:Oh, im also a pirate.

May 14th, 2011, 12:48 am #9

You know what I really want to read? 2000 years into the future, after Nathaniel. I just <3 angsty Bart.
Oh yay, I'm not a mite anymore!!!
Last edited by Garnet-Princess on May 14th, 2011, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shabooya sha sha shabooya
ROLL CALL!
My name is Jessica, ya
I've got it all, ya
and when i shake it, ya
I'll be your downfall

Sentynel
Higher Spirit

May 14th, 2011, 2:26 am #10

Garnet-Princess wrote:You know what I really want to read? 2000 years into the future, after Nathaniel. I just <3 angsty Bart.
Oh yay, I'm not a mite anymore!!!
Hmm, Bartimaeus goes sci fi.
That could be really awesome. Djinn-powered spaceships and stuff...
Sentynel - Head Ninja, Admin, Keeper of the Ban Afrit, Official Forum Graphics Guy, and forum code debugger.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way