No bare anything!

February 26th, 2007, 10:54 pm #1

The name of this forum implies that barefoot and shirtless are two aspects of the same activity, when they're really quite different. There are times and places where each is appropriate (or at least worth trying) and the other isn't. For example, I often go shirtless to a lumber yard or a car wash, and I might go barefoot to a bank or a bookstore, but I'd be reluctant to switch those activities the other way.

One reason we're tempted to lump them together is the recent spread of signs prohibiting both. Twenty years ago we weren't concerned about such prohibitions at all. We may have felt conspicuous or uncomfortable in some establishment, but we never feared being refused service or being asked to leave. The NS signs were begun in the 1970s in response to barefoot "hippies" by shop owners fearing liability for injury, and it was easy for them to add without thought the barechested to the unwelcome.

Unfortunately, these are not civil rights issues. Instead of gaining wider acceptance, we find each year fewer and fewer places where either the shirtless or the unshod are welcome.

Bobby
Bobby

March 10th, 2007, 3:58 pm #2

Actually, they are lumped together (IMHO) as they are both outside the general stream of expected behavior (unfortunately). They are both as close to being "natural" as possible without being arrested for "indecent" exposure. I, personally, am more often barefoot then shirtless. I will be barefoot when not wearing a shirt makes me cold. Inside our apartment, I'm usually naked. Outside, I'm usually barefoot. In summer, I'm often shirtless as well. Barefoot in restaurants and stores is often acceptable, while being shirtless would not be.

I agree that they are different activities, but I do think there is a linkage.

Thanks for writing in our forum. We do appreciate your comments.

Hugz,
Bobby

Running Bear
Running Bear

July 12th, 2007, 5:41 am #3

What kinds of restaurants and stores do you find not objecting to being either shirtless or barefoot?

Brian
Brian

August 1st, 2007, 5:54 am #4

Painting, for sure. I remember helping stain the wood deck in my parents back yard when I was like 15. Its a good thing I was barefoot cuz I accedentaly steped on the stain can cover and it had stain on it. Just rinsed my feet off with the hose and scrubbed a little bit later. Saved me from ruining a pair of shoes.

Brian
Brian

August 1st, 2007, 5:59 am #5

What kinds of restaurants and stores do you find not objecting to being either shirtless or barefoot?
Opps! Sorry for the mistake. Hmm? I go barefoot more then I go shirtless. I love wearing athletic shorts and being barefoot. When I'm inside I'm shirtless. Outside it depends.

August 14th, 2007, 4:09 pm #6

No restaurants except carry-out shops that have no seating.

Fewer and fewer stores every year. In 1975 a shirtless customer might feel self-conscious, but he wouldn't fear being refused service or being asked to leave in any but the most elegant retail establishments. Some establishments where I shopped shirtless two years ago, including a liquor store, Baskin-Robbins, and Trader Joe's, have now begun prohibiting shirtless customers. Now I'm comfortable only at my neighborhood hardware store, the dry cleaners, the car wash, and a few independent grocers.