Southern Speak 101

Southern Speak 101

KuzeN
KuzeN

April 6th, 2002, 7:46 am #1

For [U. S.] Yankees, language class is mandatory and now in session. For our foreign correspondents, this educational opportunity is optional.

"The young whippersnapper has about bent his elbow out of joint patting himself on the back.." There are two terms or phrases here.

The first is "young whippersnapper"; actually, young and whippersnapper are redundant, or are repetitive. {{I have to go slowly for Yankees who are hindered by the cold northern climate.}} "Whippersnapper" is of uncertain origin, most likely from the Southwestern U.S of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. It generally means that the person is too smart and bright for his or her own good. It isn't very nice to show up one's elders. Also, for any Original Star Trek Series fans, you will have heard Dr. "Bones" McCoy, who was born and raised in Arkansas, about as Southern as can be, utter "Young Whippersnapper" quite frequently.

Secondly, the phrase "... has about bent his elbow out of joint patting himself on the back.." is an oxymoron -- something that cannot be. It is used to disparage
someone who is constantly bragging upon his or her own accomplishments.

Dr. P. neither shows up his elders [[other medical professionals]], nor brags about his accomplishments. He is quite amazed at how well this old dog of a patient has responded. Of course, the extra assistance from Christian brothers and sisters didn't hurt.

Class dismissed.

"Perfessur" KuzeN

P. S. We live out in the country. We're working on getting the above ground pool, which is only 5 feet deep in the center, in swimming shape. The H2O temperature is COLD, roughly 60F or 16C. Because it is on the north side of the house, is shaded by trees on the east and the house on the west, and is surrounded by a deck, the water stays cold. However, it is still nice for nude splashing around. The deck offers sun time. It has a privacy fence to protect it and the deck from the road; the rest is trees.

Boyd Allen
Boyd Allen

April 8th, 2002, 6:59 pm #2

For added affect and authenticity, you must add the "groundhog whistle" at the letter "s" in "snapper."

Boyd Allen

KuzeN
KuzeN

April 8th, 2002, 10:15 pm #3

'For added affect and authenticity, you must add the "groundhog whistle" at the letter "s" in "snapper."'

Boyd,

I ain't heared about such. We got ground squirrels here in Mississippi. We don't got very many known members of Poxatunny Fill's [misspellings intended with all due respects] relatives.

Since you're one of them there "high falutin' [sp??] Easterners", would you edgeukate the rest of us as to how that works??

Yours' truly,

Kuzen

P. S. Are these critters naturally nudists??

RalphVa
RalphVa

April 9th, 2002, 8:18 am #4

For [U. S.] Yankees, language class is mandatory and now in session. For our foreign correspondents, this educational opportunity is optional.

"The young whippersnapper has about bent his elbow out of joint patting himself on the back.." There are two terms or phrases here.

The first is "young whippersnapper"; actually, young and whippersnapper are redundant, or are repetitive. {{I have to go slowly for Yankees who are hindered by the cold northern climate.}} "Whippersnapper" is of uncertain origin, most likely from the Southwestern U.S of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. It generally means that the person is too smart and bright for his or her own good. It isn't very nice to show up one's elders. Also, for any Original Star Trek Series fans, you will have heard Dr. "Bones" McCoy, who was born and raised in Arkansas, about as Southern as can be, utter "Young Whippersnapper" quite frequently.

Secondly, the phrase "... has about bent his elbow out of joint patting himself on the back.." is an oxymoron -- something that cannot be. It is used to disparage
someone who is constantly bragging upon his or her own accomplishments.

Dr. P. neither shows up his elders [[other medical professionals]], nor brags about his accomplishments. He is quite amazed at how well this old dog of a patient has responded. Of course, the extra assistance from Christian brothers and sisters didn't hurt.

Class dismissed.

"Perfessur" KuzeN

P. S. We live out in the country. We're working on getting the above ground pool, which is only 5 feet deep in the center, in swimming shape. The H2O temperature is COLD, roughly 60F or 16C. Because it is on the north side of the house, is shaded by trees on the east and the house on the west, and is surrounded by a deck, the water stays cold. However, it is still nice for nude splashing around. The deck offers sun time. It has a privacy fence to protect it and the deck from the road; the rest is trees.

I could let RT type notes into this thing. He's a good "suthin" writer and occasionally sends his notes to special friends.

I opened my pool last year about this time, and it just sorta sat there. Occasionally, I had to go out and "dreen" those pipes to keep those above ground from freezing. So, I'll wait until about the last week of April this year.

Ours is on the north side, too, but the sun gets so high by May 1 that it puts sun upon on most of the day. Put up a solar heater and don't really need it. Wife is complaining that it looks ugly back there on its frame. I plan to move it to the slope on the east end of the pool.

Oh, you're lucky you don't have groundhogs down there. Instead, you've fire ants. I'll take the groundhogs.

KuzeN
KuzeN

April 9th, 2002, 4:47 pm #5

As to the groundhawgs, probably three of four are planning a takeover!!

The only way that this pool gets heating is when the sun is directly overhead, about 10:00 A. M. to 3:30 P. M. What's the cost, etc., on a solar unit?? It might be the way to go.

As to the fireants, they're coming your way. The experts figure that the fireants are mutating and will eventually move as far north as southern New England.

KuzeN

Boyd Allen
Boyd Allen

April 9th, 2002, 8:37 pm #6

'For added affect and authenticity, you must add the "groundhog whistle" at the letter "s" in "snapper."'

Boyd,

I ain't heared about such. We got ground squirrels here in Mississippi. We don't got very many known members of Poxatunny Fill's [misspellings intended with all due respects] relatives.

Since you're one of them there "high falutin' [sp??] Easterners", would you edgeukate the rest of us as to how that works??

Yours' truly,

Kuzen

P. S. Are these critters naturally nudists??
Have you ever watched any of the "Winnie the Pooh" series put out by Walt Disney? There is a character in there that is a ground hog. He does all the contract excavating for anyone who needs a hole dug.

He has a "whistle" when he talks. It happens everytime he uses an "s" word. The tounge doesn't make the ssss sound but a whistle sound.

Now to make it really funny, add the voice characteristics of Mr. Haney on Green Acres to the whistle and you got a combination that will get you rolling!

Very difficult to do when you try it deliberately but funny when done right.

Boyd Allen

KuzeN
KuzeN

April 10th, 2002, 1:17 am #7

Tank you.

My adult daughter's nickname is "Pooh", her favorite character when she was a child.

KuzeN

RalphVa
RalphVa

April 10th, 2002, 11:29 am #8

As to the groundhawgs, probably three of four are planning a takeover!!

The only way that this pool gets heating is when the sun is directly overhead, about 10:00 A. M. to 3:30 P. M. What's the cost, etc., on a solar unit?? It might be the way to go.

As to the fireants, they're coming your way. The experts figure that the fireants are mutating and will eventually move as far north as southern New England.

KuzeN
They're about $400 for each 4x10 panel. I swear these don't do as good a job as the ones I had in NJ (which are about the same price but MUCH easier to install). I've 4 panels, and they don't seem to do too much. Have 5 @ 4x8 in NJ. They heated.

I had the web site for the NJ ones, but I lost those among my favorites when I had to reload my C drive. Now, I've my favorites on D drive. Found out it was retained and back it up. Had Favorites backed up on a CD that got shoved out the back end of the CD reader! Some day, I'll take the pooter apart and find it.

We need an ant killer line drawn in the dirt somewhere about N. or S. Carolina to keep the fire ants outta here. Or youse guys need an ultra cold winter to kill them off.

KuzeN
KuzeN

April 10th, 2002, 3:04 pm #9

"We need an ant killer line drawn in the dirt somewhere about N. or S. Carolina to keep the fire ants outta here. Or youse guys need an ultra cold winter to kill them off."
----
Sorry 'bout that. They're opening schools of instruction for winter sports in preperation of real winters in your area!!!!!

Boyd Allen
Boyd Allen

April 17th, 2002, 12:49 pm #10

They're about $400 for each 4x10 panel. I swear these don't do as good a job as the ones I had in NJ (which are about the same price but MUCH easier to install). I've 4 panels, and they don't seem to do too much. Have 5 @ 4x8 in NJ. They heated.

I had the web site for the NJ ones, but I lost those among my favorites when I had to reload my C drive. Now, I've my favorites on D drive. Found out it was retained and back it up. Had Favorites backed up on a CD that got shoved out the back end of the CD reader! Some day, I'll take the pooter apart and find it.

We need an ant killer line drawn in the dirt somewhere about N. or S. Carolina to keep the fire ants outta here. Or youse guys need an ultra cold winter to kill them off.
Here is a cheap alternative: Get you a big box of the large bubble wrap material, you, know, the kind people like to stomp on and pop for stress relief. (Oh yeah, they also like to use it for packaging as well)

Roll that across your pool, it will float and act as a solar panel as well. Very cheap and does the job pretty good from my understanding.

Then enjoy the pool in the nude, otherwise, why bother?

Boyd Allen