baptism

baptism

steve gorman
steve gorman

November 10th, 2004, 9:17 pm #1

i have thought about being baptised a lot recenlty ,my life is a mess i drink too much and need something too get away from the bottle.the thougt off trying to redeem my self form this has played on my mind a lot.iff i stood before god naked and confessed my sins ,part off me feels would be like a realease,i need to repent need help in god i hope will find it .i was abused as a child maybe why its taken me so long but this site and vivews havw helped thank you

Beth
Beth

November 11th, 2004, 2:25 am #2

Steve,
While I do believe in God's wonderful healing power, the act of baptism probably won't be the key in ending your alcohol abuse. Ever been to AA? If you truly want to be sober then you have to find a support group. Start attending AA daily and get a sponsor. Fighting addiction is a constant basis. As for the abuse....this sounds crude, but get over it. I was abused as a child and never abused my children, nor did I chose alcohol or drugs. Had a couple of bad marriages, but then decided to make a new turn in my life. In my experience in mental health as a nurse, I was always amazed at how substance abusers always wanted to blame someone else for their problem. The victim mentality doesn't work. Find your strengths and expound upon them, because I'm sure you do have spiritual gifts. WE all do. A very good friend of mine has been sober for many years now. Al is a great evangelist for God, and takes trips to Costa Rica every year with our church.
Tevita, what is your take. I know you have a psyche background...

Beth

Tevita
Tevita

November 11th, 2004, 10:21 am #3

Hi Beth, Thanks for the leading.
There are a number of issues in the 1st post of this thread and each have to be dealth with separately and then brought together to allow Steve to move on.
1st there is the issue of baptism and repentance. Steve if you really want to and feel that God has called you to do this, do so, but as Beth has stated this will not take away the other issues in itself. The timing for this must be up to you also. This could be the beginning of a spiritual journey, it could be a step along the way, or it could be the culmination of a process of dramatic spiritual renewal in your life. You may find it difficult to find a pastor who will conduct the baptism nude.
2nd there is the issue of excessive use of alcohol. Yes AA could be usefull, as the support structures are there to help you while you work on your issues. The trouble is AA is full of "dry drunks" people who have not had a drink for years but the reasons for their drinking still is there and AA has replaced the bottle and that is not healthy either. In my experience the main thing I ahve observed with people with problem drinking is that these people HATE themselves. You can not love God if you do not love yourself as you have been made in God's image, mot physically but spiritually. Learn about God and you by looking at Jesus and let him be the reflection of God for you and the reflection of God's purpose for you.
3rdly there is the Abuse. You need to get healing for this. It seems you are like thr little boy who falls over and graises his knees. His mother would like to wash the graise and put a dressing on it but he will not let her as he fears that it will hurt. He limps around protecting the knee as much as he can but it is impossible and he occasionally bumps it and it hurts and goes on hurting because now it has started to fester. The pain of the wound is now far worse due to the festering. You are protecting your wound of the abuse with alcohol but the trouble under the protection it is festering and so you need more and more alcohol.
Here is my prescription!
1. Get yourself a support structure around you of people you trust. I know this is hard and that is why the alcohol is the easy way. Do not have too many, maybe 5 would be a good number. These peope would be good if they are a combiation of AA mebers and Christians. Tell then wahat is going on for you and be open and Honest. Then go out and find a Christian Counsellor or therapist. Work on the hurt of your abuse, and you will hurt a lot in the process. this is where your suport team comes in.
2. The alcohol need will just go away as the hurt deminishes.
3. Your Repentance and Baptism can fit anywhere in this process.
Get down and pray that God gives you the strength to go through this and the Holy Spirit to hold on to you so that you can make that first step and do something with your life and move on with Christ.
The love of Christ go with you Steve.
Tevita

November 11th, 2004, 11:59 am #4

i have thought about being baptised a lot recenlty ,my life is a mess i drink too much and need something too get away from the bottle.the thougt off trying to redeem my self form this has played on my mind a lot.iff i stood before god naked and confessed my sins ,part off me feels would be like a realease,i need to repent need help in god i hope will find it .i was abused as a child maybe why its taken me so long but this site and vivews havw helped thank you
I am glad this site helped but you need to keep in mind that baptism will do nothing directly for your alcohol abuse. Baptism doesn't do anything at all for that matter.

What is baptism? Baptism is an outward public show of your acceptance and admittance that you need Christ in your life. Baptism is more than just something you do, it's an outward show of your realization that you are dead in Christ, and only Christ can bring you back to life.

It is leaving your old self behind by death, burial and resurrection to a new life. Baptism is a burial in a watery grave. As dead people cannot bury nor resurrect themselves, we cannot baptise ourselves. Which is why you have a baptiser to do the ceremony.

Before you are baptised, you need to seek God and let him lead you to repentance of your sins. You must realize that Jesus is your only way to the Father. After your baptism, you would (or should) have hands laid on you and given the holy spirit by prayer. You are lifted up to Christ and given over to him as his servant and brother and friend.

And you still have to take the steps towards overcoming alcoholism, only this time, you are not alone. God can and will heal you. Immediately? Maybe. Over a life time, most likely, but God has the power to heal you immediately if he wants to. But you must put your life into HIS hands and let HIM do the work. If you take the bottle again, it is you who stepped away, but you are still saved. Just go to Him and confess your sins, and hang out with people who are stronger than you and are close the the Lord.

We all have problems that we want to get rid of. We all fall short of His glory. But we all have to "die daily" for Him. He resurrects us daily to Him.

Seek council with a pastor of faith (by the way, any Christian pastor who is strong in the Lord will do. It is not by "denomination" (Baptist, Methodist, etc). Jesus is Lord of all, not just one. But it is better to be baptised by your pastor over the church you regularly attend. Do yourself and your pastor a favor. Don't church hop. Stick with one. That way they can watch over you and take care of your spiritual (and physical) needs.

Boyd

RalphVa
RalphVa

November 11th, 2004, 1:01 pm #5

Boyd set you right on baptism and the Holy Spirit. The Spirit will help you a lot, but it may help to talk to others who have been through what you've experienced. Just like in most churches, we can't find folks to talk about being naked. That's whay some of us come here.

So, you likely won't find that many in your church congregation who can talk to you about alcoholism and abuse. One place for alcoholics is AA.

One of greatest members at our church in Whippany, NJ was an alcoholic who'd stopped. He was largely instrumental in getting my wife to come to the church from being at camps where Eddie worked.

One of the worst mass murderers of all time was one of our most prolific Bible writers: the apostle Paul. People change and can be changed by God.

Ralph
The naked gardener
God's original intent

Hal Lawson
Hal Lawson

November 11th, 2004, 6:12 pm #6

Getting sober is one thing, living a sober happy life is another.

Eighteen years ago at age 52, my employer gave me the choice of seeking help or another job. At that point, I needed a drink every four hours day and night just to function. The most difficult part was having to tell my wife that I had been given the employment option. Thankfully, the company paid for my 28 day hospital rehabilitation stay and my continued employment was contingent upon my sobriety. I eventually retired from the company in 1998.

Part of the rehabilitation was Alcoholics Anonymous attendance. AA has three principles (1) that you are an alcoholic and your life is unmanageable, (2) Only a power greater than yourself can cure your alcoholism, and (3) God could and would if he were sought. The 12 steps of AA originated from the bible and are directions for staying sober and how to live.

I hated those meetings at first until I realized that the people in AA knew what they were talking about and were happy with life. Today, I still go to one or two meetings a week for the fellowship of other alcoholics and opportunity to maybe help someone else. Our morning group meets every day, seven days a week including holidays at 6:45 AM. Some members go daily just to jump start their day. On Thursdays, it is separate men’s and women’s groups. This morning we had 25 men.

Why did I drink? I was never abused by my family other than life with an alcoholic father who I miss dearly. My father and his family including five male cousins all inherited the disease of alcoholism. There was also a history of alcoholism on my mother’s side of the family. I had my first drink at age 12, liked the stuff, and my alcoholic inheritance was off to the races. However, I swore that I would never drink like my father, how little did I know.

Eventually, all five cousins died violent deaths as a result of alcohol related accidents but that did not stop me. After all, I could control my drinking. Wrong, futile attempts to control my drinking got to where they lasted only a few hours.

Baptism by itself will not cure your drinking but it is a step in the right direction. Do not be discouraged if you are not met with open arms in the church should you disclose your drinking problem. I understand that drinking like nudism is not too well received by many churches.

I was raised a Methodist and my wife of 48 yrs was raised in a good old Southern Baptist tradition. She tolerates my nudist lifestyle around the house but does not embrace it herself except for skinny dipping at night in the family pool. I have been a nudist all my life but since my wife does not share, there is no social nudism. It would be great If I could find a nudist AA group someday (ha).

One last word. AA is a program of attraction, not promotion. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees and there are darn sure no background checks!

SpunkyLady
SpunkyLady

November 13th, 2004, 8:07 pm #7

Boyd set you right on baptism and the Holy Spirit. The Spirit will help you a lot, but it may help to talk to others who have been through what you've experienced. Just like in most churches, we can't find folks to talk about being naked. That's whay some of us come here.

So, you likely won't find that many in your church congregation who can talk to you about alcoholism and abuse. One place for alcoholics is AA.

One of greatest members at our church in Whippany, NJ was an alcoholic who'd stopped. He was largely instrumental in getting my wife to come to the church from being at camps where Eddie worked.

One of the worst mass murderers of all time was one of our most prolific Bible writers: the apostle Paul. People change and can be changed by God.

Ralph
The naked gardener
God's original intent
A year ago when I realized that be nude wasn't a sin, that it didn't equal sex and found a new freedom in Christ by being natural without cloths; I wanted to be re-baptisted in tne nude. I haven't found anyone pastor to do this yet, but maybe I may make it to CNC for a retreat and then who knows.

Spunky

Kevin
Kevin

November 14th, 2004, 5:18 pm #8

Hey Spunky,

I was too busy being smart to see where you were going with this idea in your post above, but now I get it. Sometimes I'm a little slow out of the gate.

There weren't any baptisms at last years CNC, but if there's enough interest I think it would be an excellent opportunity, maybe the ONLY one, for us to be baptised nude.

The only thing, we need to be careful why we want to be baptised nude. If it's just for the novelty of doing it, I would discourage it. But, if like you said, it's due to a new understanding of your gift of salvation and the freedom we have in Christ, a new beginning so to speak, I think it would be okay.

I've seen many people re-baptised when the renewed their dedication to Christ. A nude baptism to show our dedication as Christians, naked and unashamed before our Lord, would be very appropriate.

God Bless
Kevin