What's the IRS form number?

What's the IRS form number?

July 26th, 2012, 11:46 pm #1

Sometimes when I perform at a particular business, I'm asked to fill out a rather simple IRS form. It basically asks for my name, the name of my business, social security number, and maybe if I'm filling single, married, etc., and my signature.
This has always been provided to me by the business. Today I was asked for this, and I tried to find it on the IRS web site, but I can't find the particular form I'm looking for. I thought it was some type of 1099.
Does anyone know what is this form I'm looking for?

Suzie
Suzie

July 27th, 2012, 12:05 am #2

I don't remember what the actual number of the form is. But...the way I understand it...is they need the form so if they turn in what they paid you to perform they have your name on a piece of paper showing that they paid you.
I am not real sure, but they do not have to file what they pay you unless it reaches a certain amount for the year.
Just more IRS paperwork.
I was kind of shocked when I was asked to fill out one once for a Nursing Home Facility. They provided the paper for me to sign not the other way around.
They need it for taxes if they decide to use it.
I was shocked because I am not a business...but the lady that gave it to me said that didn't make any difference. If they wrote me out a check they needed the paper work.
My brother-inlaw is a CPA...he explained it to us when we saw him. But it didn't sound like any big deal,for me cause I don't make enough to even count. Ant the facility just needed it in case they filed.
I realize I was no help here. But it made me feel better to share...

Suzie
Suzie

July 27th, 2012, 12:09 am #3

Sometimes when I perform at a particular business, I'm asked to fill out a rather simple IRS form. It basically asks for my name, the name of my business, social security number, and maybe if I'm filling single, married, etc., and my signature.
This has always been provided to me by the business. Today I was asked for this, and I tried to find it on the IRS web site, but I can't find the particular form I'm looking for. I thought it was some type of 1099.
My husband thought it might be the W9 you are looking for. But he wasn't real sure on the number either. He was going from memory.

July 27th, 2012, 2:01 am #4

Thanks, that's the form I needed. I'm printing it up now.

July 27th, 2012, 2:08 am #5

W-9 is correct. The venue is hiring you as an independent contrator. That means they are not required to take out withholding taxes (you are responsible for them yourself). It also excludes them from having to pay workers comensation for you. Essentially it documents that you worked for them but are not their employee.

Not for profit entities are required to submit the form.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

July 27th, 2012, 2:23 am #6

Likewise, you will need to provide it to any organization which provides over $600 per year to you. This could be the county, for example, if you do a few libraries and the funding comes from the same source.