That dreaded business stuff...

That dreaded business stuff...

April 11th, 2012, 2:16 am #1

Hey all,

I have a really quick question (more of a poll really) regarding how you all set up the business part of your...businesses. I'm hoping to open a puppet theatre in the future but am starting off by developing a series of vent shows to take to schools (I'm fortunate to have a number of grade school teachers in my family). My question is whether you guys who do shows that you charge for (whether they be at schools, birthday parties, etc.) operate as a sole proprietor or if you do something more complicated like an LLC? I've researched LLC's and S-Corporations extensively and know that will be the way to go once I have a brick and mortar theatre, but I'm not sure that I need to get that complicated yet. What do you guys do?

Thanks,
Mike

crazy chris
crazy chris

April 11th, 2012, 2:32 am #2

S-corp here!!

cc

April 11th, 2012, 2:37 am #3

Thanks, Chris! The success of Sassafrass Junction (coupled with a theatre background in addition to a love for puppetry and ventriloquism) is one of my inspirations for wanting to start a theatre eventually!
Last edited by mikeoui on April 11th, 2012, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 11th, 2012, 3:02 am #4

Hey all,

I have a really quick question (more of a poll really) regarding how you all set up the business part of your...businesses. I'm hoping to open a puppet theatre in the future but am starting off by developing a series of vent shows to take to schools (I'm fortunate to have a number of grade school teachers in my family). My question is whether you guys who do shows that you charge for (whether they be at schools, birthday parties, etc.) operate as a sole proprietor or if you do something more complicated like an LLC? I've researched LLC's and S-Corporations extensively and know that will be the way to go once I have a brick and mortar theatre, but I'm not sure that I need to get that complicated yet. What do you guys do?

Thanks,
Mike
I just have a city business license. I did file for an Employer Identification Number as a sole proprietor so I wouldn't have to give my Social Security Number out all the time. You don't have to do that.

Some schools (not many) ask that you have performer's insurance. None ask for the business license. I have checks made out to my name.

April 11th, 2012, 3:46 am #5

Hey all,

Thanks,
Mike
Have been a sole proprietor for years (simplest option) with an EIN# (IRS issued instead of using SSC)
2011 changde to partnership (my wife and myself) in order to qualify for better rates on health insurance.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 11th, 2012, 3:54 am #6

Hey all,

Thanks,
Mike
There is some kind of rule when it comes to the business name. If your name is in it, such as "Tony Borders' Puppets" then it is easier to start with. If you eventually plan to grow, ire employees, franchise, or send someone else out under the business name then you would want a different name. Ex. Teaching with Puppets. Then you could send anyone.

crazy chris
crazy chris

April 11th, 2012, 4:01 am #7

Hey all,

Thanks,
Mike
GREAT TO HEAR MIKE!!

The whole Sass Junction gang is rooting for ya 100%!!

cc

April 11th, 2012, 12:31 pm #8

Hey all,

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks everyone! I think I'll start out as a sole proprietor and just use my name. Then, when I'm ready to hire employees and/or have a permanent location, I'll form an S-Corp and come up with a troupe name.

April 11th, 2012, 12:58 pm #9

Hey all,

Thanks,
Mike
I have another business related question so I'm just going to add to this thread. How do you guys determine what to charge? I'll be looking at a solely, mobile vent show. I'm going to base my shows on current issues (i.e. bullying) and the themes that the school districts I'll be working with have for their schools. So it'll be me and one or two puppets. I have no idea what the going rate for a show like this would be. I want to be fair to my customers, but I also don't want to cheat myself. Thanks again!

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 11th, 2012, 2:34 pm #10

Hey all,

Thanks,
Mike
This is also the perfect time to buy performer's insurance. Check an earlier thread for that.
To determine price you have a few options. It's pretty easy for schools. You can often find a website online for your state that shows several school assembly speakers and the fees they ask. Try Young Audiences and see if they have a group for your state. Also tryhttp://assemblybuzz.com It may not list prices but will give you website connections for folks in your state. If you are in California then tryhttp://www.californiaschoolassemblies.com. (may not be plural)

Most schools are hit hard. It's better to be mid price or lower to start out, in my opinion. Fortunately, a beginner has almost as much chance to get hired as an experienced person when it comes to schools. Word of mouth is very slow to non existent at schools. We all seem to start from scratch every year in California. Other states may not e that way.

Good luck on your new business!

One more thought. If you decide to sell things in connection with your business then you will need a resale license. This gives you permission (and a number) so you can buy from a wholesaler without paying sales tax. Then in July you pay the sales tax collected on all your sales. Talk to your state Franchise Tax Board about a resale license. Or I have one I can sell you.