Spring cleaning

Spring cleaning

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 2nd, 2009, 5:42 am #1

I spent today going through my garage and pulling out magic tricks that I never used. I have so many shows that I don't want to write anymore unless I HAVE to. And I found that I couldn't find the props I needed because of all the extra stuff. So I loaded it up and took it to my magic club's annual auction this evening. This is the first time that I sold more than I bought! I'm streamlining!

I also had my daughter go through all of her coats in the coat closet and pull out stuff she's outgrown or never wants to wear. Now if I can get my wife to do the same thing!

mark t
mark t

April 2nd, 2009, 3:11 pm #2

tony, how cutting your comments are! i would love to do some spring cleaning, however,.... i can't even find the garage to do that in! tooo many years in the same place and us 2 pack rats, both with stuff we haven't ever gotten rid of,..... and kids who left, and left their stuff behind. I know there is a car in the garage,,,,,,,,,somewhere!
to all, take heed of tony's words, it will make your life happier and easier. now, where do i start trying to reclaim my own space back??????? hmmmmm.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 2nd, 2009, 5:42 pm #3

I spent today going through my garage and pulling out magic tricks that I never used. I have so many shows that I don't want to write anymore unless I HAVE to. And I found that I couldn't find the props I needed because of all the extra stuff. So I loaded it up and took it to my magic club's annual auction this evening. This is the first time that I sold more than I bought! I'm streamlining!

I also had my daughter go through all of her coats in the coat closet and pull out stuff she's outgrown or never wants to wear. Now if I can get my wife to do the same thing!
You should start with the kids' stuff. My parents had 6 children and saved lots of junk. "You'll have children someday and they will want it." The locals probably thought it was a daycare. And then the grandkids came along and they had a reason to keep stuff. Now it's great grandkids!

My sister said, "What should we get them for their 50th anniversary?"
I said, "Let's take our stuff out of their house."
She said, "I don't have room for it!"

Do yourself a favor and box up all the stuff that isn't yours and your wife's and give them a month to come and get what they want. You'll find that they really don't want most of it anyway and you are just saving your kids stuff so they can throw it away after you're gone.

I made it a mission to take all of my stuff out of my parents home and I found my old Spiderman comics! I must have thrown away 2 large black leaf bags filled with letters from old girlfriends. Well, okay, there were a couple of letters in there. Come to think of it, when I got married my mom did throw something away. I can't find any of the pictures of my old girlfriends!

Check out www.clutterdiet.com for great tips on how to be clutter free. It isn't a quick fix, but it's designed to change your mode of thinking. One example from a friend... I had several suit jackets, shirts, and ties and a closet that was too full. He said, for each jacket choose one shirt and one tie that looks the best and then only use them together. It was a change in my way of thinking which REALLY helped during my teaching career.

So, what does this have to do with Axtell products? If I want my shows to be the best I really need to get rid of the stuff that DOESN'T work. I have some GREAT looking puppets, like the warthog... somewhere. I don't often think of him because he's in the laundry room, probably under a pile of old towels my wife saved for rags. I always have to ask her, "Is this still a dish towel or is this the one for cleaning the toilets?"

April 2nd, 2009, 8:13 pm #4

.....get THAT rag off the Wart hog!

Ax

Montana Santa
Montana Santa

April 3rd, 2009, 4:00 am #5

Any of that magic/vent clutter up for sale to us poor peons?

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 3rd, 2009, 9:20 pm #6

I just sold a nice Santa gets Stuck in the Chimney trick! Ouch!

I found the warthog. I forgot that I had used him in a runaway dog version of the Prodigal Son, so he was in a duffle bag. I used him today in a bullying show. He LOOKS like a bully, but he really just sits in the hole in the ground and protects his family. He's a HERO not a bully. He is a protector.

I was at a school for the third time with the same theme so I really wanted to mix things up. The elephant talked about Horton as a hero, even though he could have been the biggest bully. But he PROTECTED the WHO village from the bullies.

The dragon was today's bully. Dragons have always been bullies, so he had all the people as food jokes today.
"Do you know what I call a knight in shining armor?"
What?
"Dinner in a can. In fact, a knight came by the cave last night around 11 o'clock."
What happened?
"I had a LATE KNIGHT SNACK!"