Senior moment (Double Booking)

Senior moment (Double Booking)

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 11th, 2012, 11:02 pm #1

Had an interesting occurence today. A grandmother had called two weeks ago to book a birthday party at a church about 45 minuts away. I called two days ago to confirm. Then when I got to the church today, after following her wrong directions and losing an extra 30 minutes or so, the pastor said that she had changed it to her apartment complex. He gave me the address. I called and just got busy signals. Got to the apartment and it was gated, so I parked in the street until someone else went through and I followed. Got to the clubhouse and a magician was performing! I just turned around and went home.

I think this is what happened. I think the grandparent scheduled me and then forgot who she had scheduled. She then scheduled someone else. When I called to confirm she thought I was the other entertainer. I thought, "Well, bless her for holding a party for her grandkids." The real reason I didn't stay is that she had told me she didn't have much money and I didn't want her to pay two performers for about 5 kids. She really couldn't afford it.

So I spent a couple hours of driving around listening to music in the car.
Last edited by axtell on March 17th, 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 11th, 2012, 11:37 pm #2

Wow, I've never had some one book me then they forget, but I did have one time that I had forgotten. I was great of you to take the high ground and not make a fuss. I have always believed that one will never go wrong taking the high ground.

Suzie
Suzie

March 12th, 2012, 8:47 am #3

Had an interesting occurence today. A grandmother had called two weeks ago to book a birthday party at a church about 45 minuts away. I called two days ago to confirm. Then when I got to the church today, after following her wrong directions and losing an extra 30 minutes or so, the pastor said that she had changed it to her apartment complex. He gave me the address. I called and just got busy signals. Got to the apartment and it was gated, so I parked in the street until someone else went through and I followed. Got to the clubhouse and a magician was performing! I just turned around and went home.

I think this is what happened. I think the grandparent scheduled me and then forgot who she had scheduled. She then scheduled someone else. When I called to confirm she thought I was the other entertainer. I thought, "Well, bless her for holding a party for her grandkids." The real reason I didn't stay is that she had told me she didn't have much money and I didn't want her to pay two performers for about 5 kids. She really couldn't afford it.

Makes you the greater Man Tony. Huge Hug.

March 12th, 2012, 1:01 pm #4

About one year ago, I almost had the same thing happen to me. It too was a Grandmother. She said her Grand-daughter was flying in for a visit, and it was her Birthday, and she wanted to surprise her with a party, and a magic show. She called me asking what I did in a show and how much do I charge.
After telling her this, she said she'd call me back. I figured she was going to price other magicians.

A couple of days later she called me back to book me. On the Wednesday before the show I called her to confirm the time of the show. She then said the show was off that her Grand-daughter was not coming. I said no problem, I understand.

Then in about 1 minute, she called me, asking if I was The Mystical Magician?
When I said yes; she then said she thought I was someone else. She then said that the show was still on.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 12th, 2012, 5:07 pm #5

There is a bit more to the story. I did let the father of the birthday child know that his mother had called me and I thought it best if she saved her money. She had told me when we first spoke that she only had Social Security for income. (Must have been a ventriloquist before she retired.) So the dad knows I didn't just flake out. And I don't think the grandmother realizes that she had booked two different people.

It actually happened one other time when a dad had booked someone and a mom had booked someone. We both showed up. I offered to leave, but they wanted us both. Then she gave me a bad check and I made sure it got paid later!

March 14th, 2012, 3:07 am #6

Luckily, I have never been given a bad check. Tony, what did you do to finally get paid?

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

March 14th, 2012, 4:54 am #7

I went back to the home and let them know that the check did not go through. They had given me a "tip" (yeah, right) so I didn't add the bank charge I had received. I was firm, but nice, and let them know that this was a business and that I would need to report any bad checks to the state attorney general's office (or whatever it's called). Then I asked them on which day I could redeposit the check and expect it to go through.

I tell people in advance that I want cash if the party is not at their home. If it is at the home I don't mind a check. I accept credit cards through Paypal. I've only had one bad check.

One time I showed up and the lady was totally depressed because nobody had come to her child's birthday. I hadn't turned anything else down for that day so I never unpacked and just told her to keep me in mind for next year. The family had recently moved and it just never worked. My main goal is to put myself in their shoes. However, if I had turned down other work I would have tried to get something for my time.