Puppet cases

Puppet cases

Jim
Jim

March 10th, 2004, 1:50 pm #1

I`d like to buy a puppet case. I have only soft puppets. Does anyone know a good website? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Ax
Ax

April 2nd, 2004, 4:52 am #2

I like to use the inexpensive footlockers sold by Kmart and Walmart. They have black with gold metal trim, very pro looking and now even wheels at one end to pull.
Maher Studios also sells cases for dummies http://www.maherstudios.com

Ax

tonyborders
tonyborders

April 16th, 2004, 5:10 am #3

Lowe's hardware stores have a nice plastic "footlocker". I believe they have a version with wheels as well. It is lighter than the wood based footlockers and not as wide, so it can be carried more easily. For local transport I actually pull my bear out of a 55 gallon yellow trash can with 10 inch (or so) wheels. The large wheels get over any curb, I can put my vent stand and backdrop curtains inside, as well as 2 or 3 other puppets. I put the tripods on top and voila! It's also a quick clean up by tossing everything into the trash can and wheeling it out. The rat would be a trash can natural as well.

I like to have the case serve as a prop as well. For example... Pull a jungle character out of a suitcase with jungle designs. Pull The Old Storyteller out of a cardboard box with "First Class Postage" all over it. "My father in law wanted to visit, so I said I would send him here first class!" Then bring out the box.

Check out pet carriers at pet stores. Add some black cloth to hide the view and you have a natural look. Perhaps a bird cage with a cloth. The point is to try to make the case look like a prop. Do that for your largest puppet and then add the smaller puppets to it for carrying.

Of course, if you fly a lot, check out the Lowe's case.

Mister Mystery
Mister Mystery

December 22nd, 2004, 5:35 pm #4

I like to use the inexpensive footlockers sold by Kmart and Walmart. They have black with gold metal trim, very pro looking and now even wheels at one end to pull.
Maher Studios also sells cases for dummies http://www.maherstudios.com

Ax
Just in case you are interested, I use a case like Steve suggests. It is a footlocker from K Mart. I modified mine by fully lining it with cabinet shelf liner. (The rubbery type) I also put some recessed handles on the sides and it made it so much easier to carry and handle. Incidently, a keyboard stand is great to sit them on during your show. They are lightweight, easy to transport, and they're pretty inexpensive. Placing your case on a stand will keep it at a good height for easy accessibility.

Regan

Mark sparkman
Mark sparkman

December 26th, 2004, 7:58 pm #5

I`d like to buy a puppet case. I have only soft puppets. Does anyone know a good website? Any recommendations? Thanks.
Wal Mart also has light weight plastic cases perfect size to carry several latex puppets..look in the automotive section where they have their truck tool boxes.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 7th, 2011, 12:25 am #6

Greetings! I have a friend who is going on a missions trip with puppets and props. He wants a lightweight case for air travel. Everything fits in a standard foot locker right now.

I've tried cheap suitcases from flea markets. (They are new). But they really don't last very long. My wife says that I collect cases like women collect shoes or purses. Actually, I go through them pretty fast. (The cases, not women's purses.)

So what is a more permanent solution? I'll check out Wal-mart's automotive section. Any other nice ideas?

Jim Maurer
Jim Maurer

April 7th, 2011, 4:26 am #7

Thanks for hosting this discussion. Could someone tell me more about K-mart or Walmart? I have gone to both and not found foot lockers. I have found nice plastic automotive cases like Mark suggested. But the old fashioned footlockers for cam p or college I am not finding. Is there any kind of a website to what you guys are referring to? Do you think it's a store by store option?
Thanks

Donald Woodford
Donald Woodford

April 7th, 2011, 5:05 am #8

Jim,

I sent you a email.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 7th, 2011, 5:30 am #9

Target had a clearance on their rolling foot lockers a few years ago. They are made by a company called Seward. I don't recall having seen them lately. I like the lighter weight of the plastic ones at Lowes. But they aren't as large. They do have some really big ones made by Rubbermaid for local shows or some great HUGE tool cases at Lowe's but neither will fly.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 7th, 2011, 3:49 pm #10

Copy and paste the different links to see some nice cases:

http://www.trunkoutlet.com/categories/1 ... line-trunk

http://www.rhinotrunkandcase.com/pages/airline-trunk/

This next one is oversized for airlines, but a nice size for everyday use.

http://www.cases2go.com/productview.asp ... _cid_E_181

Thanks to Marc Griffiths of Wales for the links.