Problems, Problems, Problems

Problems, Problems, Problems

May 12th, 2012, 2:55 pm #1

What are some of the biggest hurdles or problems you are facing as an entertainer?

Suzie
Suzie

May 12th, 2012, 5:05 pm #2

Great question Ax.

At the moment I am a beginner. One of my problems is learning my audience. Even if the audience is about the same age and same sex the routine may go extremely well with one audience, and tumble down hill with the next audience.
Ouch...that sucks.
A problem is recovering when you can tell that you are starting to tumble down that hill. How do you claw back up without them noticing?

I also had a problem with a one horse pony routine with one of my puppets. I just couldn't seem to get a handle on what to do differently with this puppet. The Vents in the Forum were fantastic with giving encouragement and helping with some fresh ideas. But...there was still a problem with this puppet and me making the change.
Finally though I took the advise from the Forum Vents and added a different twist to their ideas which clicked with some of my ideas and I finally gave the puppet a different personality.
The change in the puppets personality really made it work. So, I would say one of the problems for me is getting stuck in a rut and just not knowing how to get un-stuck and change a routine that just isn't going any where.

The other problem I can see starting to happen. Which may be an easy fix???
When working with older adults (Nursing Home facility). They wear out fast. The facility has you slated for 45 minutes to an hour, but your material is only holding them for a solid 30 minutes or maybe less. Is there any hints on perking them up again? Or are they down for the count because they are old? The ones I am talking about are volunteering during your skit.

Okay, another problem I may be facing in the very near future. A repeat appearance at the same Nursing Home. What do you do if they want you to come back in a month? I don't think you can get by with the same routine even at a Nursing Home that close together. Can you?
I not only will run out of material that I have stored in my memory banks, but run out of different puppets to keep up with new routines if I have to do them too frequently. What should a person do? I am concerned about turning down appointments if they ask me to come back too soon. They may stop calling.

One other problem I have run into. What to do when they have you staged too close to your audience? It looks like you have room, but you feel like you are standing right on top of the front roll of people. I felt crowded, so I know I wasn't at my best. Their room is set up too close to where they have you staged to preform.

These are just a few of my problems. I am open for any help I can get. {:->

crazy chris
crazy chris

May 12th, 2012, 8:40 pm #3

What are some of the biggest hurdles or problems you are facing as an entertainer?
Well... funny you ask...i know this isnt what your looking for...but...

.... our city had a Founders Day festival and parade on the street outside our theater today and during the show over 20 people slipped in late...watched the full show and left without paying.... (we do not make a practice of hounding people for money in the middle of the show... we allow a certain amount of trust and courtesy)

so...i see a policy change in our future...guess i need to hire a 400 lb bouncer...lol

cc

Suzie
Suzie

May 12th, 2012, 11:46 pm #4

Chris
Oh man...what is wrong with people?
It's things like this makes you change your policy when you really don't want to make so many stinkin' rules.
Maybe, God will open a window...since these people closed a door. The ones that slipped in will go tell all there friends and relatives about your wonderful show, and then they will be lining up outside your door for tickets in numbers that can't even be counted. {:->
Maybe you just got all kinds of PAID advertisement.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

May 13th, 2012, 12:03 am #5

We should be hearing some great tips from people as well as problem circumstances. Looking forward to it!
Chris, when you have a special event, such as Founder's Day, where a LOT is going on, then I recommend that you cut your show down to 25 minutes or so. Then you can shut the door at start time and say NEXT show at.... This keeps the door from opening and closing during the show. Plus, people generally don't want something long when they have so much going on outside. I just did 3 20 minute shows today, because they also had Minute to Win It games, jump houses, food, etc.

Other thoughts: Instead of doing a 45 minute show for nursing homes offer to do a 30 minute show plus a few minutes of meet and greet. The aids often have to take people out one at a time, so this allows them more time to do so while you are taking the puppet around to get up close and personal to residents. They will love it, you will provide a service, and you'll be able to spread your material out a bit more.

I have had the same problem many times in the past with one trick ponies. I like your idea of working on the puppet's personality rather than on a skit. Once the personality is figured out the skits will follow.

I did a Mother-in-law routine today to a mixed audience. Teens and older really liked it but the kids did not. But, that's okay. I plan to do it again tomorrow. If I had ONLY kids in the audience I would change it considerably.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

May 13th, 2012, 12:08 am #6

Unless the audience is already there when you arrive then you can set a colorful rope, or tape on the ground for a front row for kids. I like to set my vent stand out a little farther than I need it then I can just move it back when the show starts if the audience is too close. I have taken a front row of chairs to the back before at different places. I ask if they mind first.

Another thought on repeat shows. Don't be afraid to have a puppet that sings. Just lip synch to something. Try to find something that gives you permission first. Nursing homes like Natalie Cole singing her father's songs, for example.

crazy chris
crazy chris

May 13th, 2012, 12:21 am #7

i think someone opened a trap door this time suzie...lol

cc

May 13th, 2012, 12:39 am #8

At first it seemed like such a problem but now it's growin' on me.

crazy chris
crazy chris

May 13th, 2012, 12:43 am #9

lol... boooooooooooo

cc

Suzie
Suzie

May 13th, 2012, 12:57 am #10

This afternoon while I had a moment...I sent an email out to the Nursing Home I have slated in June. This is a totally different Nursing Home that has invited us to come next month. This one is two hours away. Anyways, I gave her a heads up of the reactions of the show I gave today. I also mentioned that the one she has me scheduled for will be different. The one in June has invited staff and their children as well as the residents to come to the show. This will be wonderful for me. Cause I can use puppets and children to entertain the residents. I am tickled pink. The kids will really help the residents stay with the program. {:->