Preschool Appocolypse!

Preschool Appocolypse!

crazy chris
crazy chris

April 22nd, 2012, 1:20 am #1

WOW!!

That seems to be the only word to describe our show today...We did a Library show this morning and hundreds showed up... and im convinced there wasn't one single qualified parent in the entire room... now mind you...ive done well over a thousand shows... and never have i ever felt like venting so much in my career...lol

Things started off pretty good in our pre show performance... We did a couple quick song parody skits... and then about half way through a small child...maybe 3 years old...came back stage and began looking through our table of puppets... ive learned to never react to quickly because a parent will usually be back there quickly to scoop them up and mutter a quick apology.... but time passed....and passed...and soon we were having to step over the child to accomplish our show tasks...

finally i jumped on the mic and in one of our characters voices said...we have some company back here...laughter insued...and some adult appeared (not even the parent)and scooped him away.... the same kid ended up back stage 8 or 9 times over the course of the show...along with about 5 other kids who saw what he did...and thought theyd give it a go... by the end of the show we had librarians acting as bouncers on either side of the stage...lol

BUT WAIT.... that's just BACK stage.... front stage was a completely different beast...

First off... NOTE TO LIBRARY....NEVER HAND OUT BALLOONS BEFORE A PUPPET SHOW!!

All the kids were gathered front and center in the floor....and each child (80 - 100 kids) had a balloon... imagine trying to perform to a sea of balloons right at eye level with probably 200 people behind the balloons trying to see the show...

Next we brought out our costumed character to dance...and the kids began to surround him and tear at his suit...ripping at his arms legs and feet.... he was lucky to get out of there with his life....

Then our show is about to begin...and one kid decides to crawl through our stage curtain and scream at us while we prepared to perform the main show... then other kids follow suit and just about rip our entire stage down...

Parents seated mere feet away never felt the slightest inclination to intercede and sooth our misery... it was so surreal... at this point i noticed a few families who seemed to "CARE" about child rearing had became so frustrated with the situation that they were exiting the room... it broke my heart

but at no point was there even a lull in our program... we were troopers... and performed each bird act with kids clawing at our legs and slamming balloons at our faces like it was a wack- a - mole game...lolol

it was definitely one for the books....

cc

April 22nd, 2012, 2:04 am #2

WOW! What a Nightmare! I bet you were glad when you woke up!

April 22nd, 2012, 2:30 am #3

WOW!!

That seems to be the only word to describe our show today...We did a Library show this morning and hundreds showed up... and im convinced there wasn't one single qualified parent in the entire room... now mind you...ive done well over a thousand shows... and never have i ever felt like venting so much in my career...lol

Things started off pretty good in our pre show performance... We did a couple quick song parody skits... and then about half way through a small child...maybe 3 years old...came back stage and began looking through our table of puppets... ive learned to never react to quickly because a parent will usually be back there quickly to scoop them up and mutter a quick apology.... but time passed....and passed...and soon we were having to step over the child to accomplish our show tasks...

finally i jumped on the mic and in one of our characters voices said...we have some company back here...laughter insued...and some adult appeared (not even the parent)and scooped him away.... the same kid ended up back stage 8 or 9 times over the course of the show...along with about 5 other kids who saw what he did...and thought theyd give it a go... by the end of the show we had librarians acting as bouncers on either side of the stage...lol

BUT WAIT.... that's just BACK stage.... front stage was a completely different beast...

All the kids were gathered front and center in the floor....and each child (80 - 100 kids) had a balloon... imagine trying to perform to a sea of balloons right at eye level with probably 200 people behind the balloons trying to see the show...

Next we brought out our costumed character to dance...and the kids began to surround him and tear at his suit...ripping at his arms legs and feet.... he was lucky to get out of there with his life....

Then our show is about to begin...and one kid decides to crawl through our stage curtain and scream at us while we prepared to perform the main show... then other kids follow suit and just about rip our entire stage down...

Parents seated mere feet away never felt the slightest inclination to intercede and sooth our misery... it was so surreal... at this point i noticed a few families who seemed to "CARE" about child rearing had became so frustrated with the situation that they were exiting the room... it broke my heart

but at no point was there even a lull in our program... we were troopers... and performed each bird act with kids clawing at our legs and slamming balloons at our faces like it was a wack- a - mole game...lolol

cc
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="315"></embed></object>

crazy chris
crazy chris

April 22nd, 2012, 2:36 am #4

WOW!!

cc
LOL Chris and Steve

i tell ya what chris... i had to come home and take a nap..lol

cc

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 22nd, 2012, 2:51 am #5

WOW!!

cc
Been there. Now you can sit down and make some mental notes for future shows.
I'm surprised the librarians didn't put a rope or cones down to set up a boundary. Bring some small orange cones with you for outdoors and a roll of colorful tape for indoor lines.
Ask the kids to give balloons to the parents if they have already been passed out. Ask the parents to try to keep them from blocking views. I've never been to a library that passed out balloons so that's a new one. Plenty of churches decorate with them and I'm there early enough to help move them to the outside of the rows or onto the stage.

Cut the show short when the going gets rough and spend some one on one time with the brave souls that stick around. For example, the library may have booked you for 45 minutes. But a quality 30 minutes with an offer to say hello to one of the puppets, will fill that time. I wish I had done that in a room that was too hot and parents too talkative just this week! (The kids were great behind the line, but crowded as close that line as they could get.)

Remember the "I'm looking for someone who is sitting on their bottoms, has their hands in their lap, (that usually quiets their mouth as well) and who isn't saying ANYTHING. I like the way this child is sitting so quietly! Wow! You can cross the line and be a volunteer."

Sounds like your puppets really draw a crowd!

crazy chris
crazy chris

April 22nd, 2012, 4:04 am #6

WOW!!

cc
some great tips tony!!

ill be honest... we have possibly the best HOST / CHILD WRANGLER in the business.... Dr. Ophelia Tottlebottom... her profession before joining us was as a "special needs" teacher and she used every trick in her vast repitoire throughout the show...

"criss cross apple sauce" ..... "bumpers on the floor".... everything except passing dollar bills out to the kids that would even acknowledge her presence...lol

although this was definitely not our first rodeo......at this particular rodeo...the horses and bulls did several lines of cocaine before the big show...lol

sometimes the planets just align and chaos insues...

cc

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 22nd, 2012, 5:22 am #7

WOW!!

cc
One of my very first kids' crusades was at an inner city church. We had 6 or 7 buses bringing kids to the meetings. One might arrive 30 minutes early and another 30 minutes late! We had told workers not to let kids go to the bathroom unless they asked twice. One 9 or 10 year old girl wet herself. The noise was horrible! Teens were sitting in the back row and a couple were making out.

We had to change gears REALLY fast! The next night we registered kids outside in lines instead of inside. Nobody came in until time to start. We had workers at each row and one outside each restroom. We started with the rules, and then the fun. I think we did a boys vs. girls competition as well, but not sure. So we could say, "Let's see who is sitting straight. The boys are doing well.... OH, the girls are doing great too! Wow! At the end they got a special treat as they got off the bus.

crazy chris
crazy chris

April 22nd, 2012, 5:41 am #8

WOW!!

cc
YIKES!!!

We have been lucky not to have to deal with a large spectrum age-wise... i cant imagine managing a group of teens who have absolutely no interest in what we are doing and a pension for mischief...

we did however once do a show for a high school art class... they were great though! hahaha

cc

ps- moral of your story... LET THE CHILDREN PEE!!! LOLOL

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 22nd, 2012, 3:45 pm #9

WOW!!

cc
I still leave the teens to others. I'm not sure why teens showed up to our kids' event, so the majorite were 10 and under. After that day I make sure that I go to the bathroom before every show!

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 23rd, 2012, 2:59 am #10

WOW!!

cc
Loved the newspaper photos on your facebook page. (Sassafrass Junction). Everything looked great and everyone was having a good time.

Where did you get the full body mascot costumes? Very nice!