Odd black stuff

Odd black stuff

May 14th, 2012, 6:13 pm #1

I've had my Bongo the gorilla for about three months now. I absolutely love him, but have noticed something odd. Something black is showing up on his lips. Anyone got any suggestions on what to clean that with.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

May 14th, 2012, 7:02 pm #2

Chances are high that it is the color of the underlying latex. (Steve can verify). This would mean that the thin layer of paint on the lips has worn off. Do a search on this forum for type of paint to use.

Rick Cina
Rick Cina

May 14th, 2012, 11:03 pm #3

I've had my Bongo the gorilla for about three months now. I absolutely love him, but have noticed something odd. Something black is showing up on his lips. Anyone got any suggestions on what to clean that with.
In my humble opinion, it's too early for the paint to wear off already. I'm thinking it's oils/dirt from hands and fingers touching that area and lodging in the "pores" of the latex. Happens all the time to my Axtells---even though I pride myself on keeping my hands washed and clean and avoiding touching the face unless it's necessary for the skit/show I'm doing.

The fix is to use that cleaner that's supplied by Steve that comes in those two little packets. Rub it on gently, and it should come off right away. If it doesn't perhaps it is indeed that the blue paint has worn off in 3 months. Does the production department really use a black base color for the latex?

Ax
Ax

May 16th, 2012, 3:18 am #4

Hmm... email me a photo at steve@axtell.com

The underlying latex color of Bongo is blue, not black, so that's not it.
Is the black paint from his mouth transferring to the upper lip? It's possible but very unlikely this soon.
Are you having a chemical reaction causing dark green finger marks to stain the latex? Copper coins can cause this if you don't wash your hands. For example if a cashier (who handles pennies all day) doesn't wash their hands and handles latex the copper can affect latex.

Looking forward to helping you buy email.

Ax
'

May 18th, 2012, 4:20 pm #5

Ax,

Expect an email within the next couple of days. I'm at work right now and it will be later this evening before I get home to where Koko (My Bongo) is resting.

Ax
Ax

May 20th, 2012, 12:42 am #6

It looks like some rub of something black from a case or box on his lips. It doesn't look like it's anything to do with the latex, rather surface friction. Could you be storing or carrying it in a case without the bag on it? Perhaps progressively getting worse because it keeps getting put back into the case. Even a black fabric bag could cause this.. the dyes could be rubbing... it's right on his outermost lip area so seems like a rubbing thing to me. To remove it try washing with soap and water to start with. Let me know... Ax