New Scam

New Scam

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 14th, 2010, 2:07 pm #1

I received a new type of scam today via email. Someone actually used a friend's email address to send me a notice like,

"Help! I'm stuck in London because I lost my wallet and I need money to pay the hotel, etc... Please send money via a telegram or Western Union, to ...

Now they actually used my friend's email BUT the telegram, of course, would go to London and I'd be out my money.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you have some friends that get stuck overseas.

Dwayne
Dwayne

June 14th, 2010, 2:38 pm #2

Tony, its crazy that we have to watch out for all of these scams all of the time. Evil never sleeps.

Magical Montana Santa
Magical Montana Santa

June 14th, 2010, 3:02 pm #3

I received a new type of scam today via email. Someone actually used a friend's email address to send me a notice like,

"Help! I'm stuck in London because I lost my wallet and I need money to pay the hotel, etc... Please send money via a telegram or Western Union, to ...

Now they actually used my friend's email BUT the telegram, of course, would go to London and I'd be out my money.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you have some friends that get stuck overseas.
It started as a phone scam around the end of last year. Sevral senior citizens got calls from -- they thought -- grandchildren who were arrested, abandoned, etc.

Two of them coughed up more than $6,000 each and sent it off... I guess it was just a matter of time before it hit the net.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 15th, 2010, 5:24 am #4

I didn't realize that it actually worked. I've been looking for a part time job.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

September 18th, 2010, 3:13 pm #5

Heard of another scam today which is new to me. Evil-doers will generate "likely" credit card numbers and charge a small fee (example $1) to that number to see if it actually is someone's card number. These small fees are going to show up as a charge from a reputable company such as Amazon, but aren't really from them. Then if the number was real they start charging to it.

April 24th, 2011, 2:29 am #6

This sounds like a new form of the "Nigerian 419 scam" There are several varieties of this scam going around, and it very recently happened to me. Fortunately I never sent any money, but this goes to show that you can never really be too careful.

Jim Maurer
Jim Maurer

April 25th, 2011, 1:34 am #7

I teach 5th grade and earlier this year I got an email at my school email address that said the mom of one of my students was in that type of situation and needed money. I asked the student and she said her parents weren;t even out of town. A week or 2 later the mom called me and said her emauil account was hacked and I was on there as an outgoing email, so I received the message. Sad world, huh? Clearly these offending individuals did not have enough puppets in their lives growing up.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 28th, 2011, 10:52 pm #8

Craigslist is a breeding ground for scams. (They say that nearly 100% of the cars listed there are scams.) Essentially, if it has to be shipped or you can't get it in your hands as you pay for it it is a scam.

Well, I saw what I think is a new scam today from Craigslist. I recently sold a guitar through them and I got an email from someone claiming to be the CEO of Craigslist. (Mine was a girl. The sample below is a male.) What is freaky is that they knew my name, which I don't list on my listing. So that makes me think my info there is compromised. Time to clear out!

Anyway, here is a sample from someone else that got the scam email:

Attention C-list User,
My name is Herman Fischer, Chief executive officer of Craigslist. We have recently joined up with Apple company for a one-time promotional event today, we are giving away no cost Apple iPads to randomly selected individuals who have posted an advert on Cl. You have been selected as one of our newest winners for today. We randomly choose numbers to match up with ads on Cl and your ad matched with our latest drawing.

We have partnered up with Apple to advertise their hottest product yet, the Apple iPad. Once again, we are operating this campaign for one-day only. All you need to do is CLICK HERE [scammy URL redacted] to visit our site made for this promotion and type in your email to obtain yours for free. Just make sure you enter your email so we may locate our records to ensure that we have reserved one for you. That is it!

Congrats on winning a free Apple iPad (valued at $800). If you have any question or concerns, feel free to email me back. However, you need to claim your free iPad 1st to ensure one will be reserved for you before the deadline ends. We do understand that you may possibly not receive this email until after the deadline, but, we suggest you check the site and enter your email to see if we still have yours on hold, which we often-times do because others have not claimed theirs in time.

Herman Fischer
CEO, Craig's list

April 30th, 2011, 12:54 am #9

Definitely a European or Nigerian scam -- why? Because the proper English are the only ones who refer to ads as adverts...

Learn more gooder English and protect yourself.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

April 30th, 2011, 4:18 am #10

Spot on, John! Thanks for the tip on the word advert. You know, we wonder in America what the big tadoo is about the royal wedding. But if one of Obama's daughters had gotten married this week it would have been an even bigger story!