New Puppeteer for Children

New Puppeteer for Children

Alicia Owens
Alicia Owens

June 14th, 2012, 4:22 pm #1

Hi!I am a new puppet master and would love to hear the beginning stages advice from the more experienced. I need to start for myself and then I would like to create a team. What puppets should I go with first? How should I perform...what is the easiest way....are the CD's of the puppets voice something that is worth getting? Any advice you could give me would be amazing!!!

Rick Cina
Rick Cina

June 14th, 2012, 5:19 pm #2

Start with one of the non-stuffed (tube) bird puppets and bird-arm illusion and get familiar with mouth and body movements and possibly some lip control if you plan to try ventriloquism. The less verbal and the more sight gags you offer when you've got a puppet on your hand, the better.

Graduate to the tube animals---possum, squirrel, skunk---after you've got the birds down.

It's probably better to practice puppeteering and ventriloquism as best you can so that you feel comfortable and well versed with the movements BEFORE you head into the audio tracks to help you.

Pick up a copy of "Kids Show Ventriloquism" by Mark Wade for all the rudimentary insights on getting started.

Read what you can here, watch others perform on youtube by using key words like "Axtell" and "puppet" and "ventriloquist," and continue asking questions.

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

June 14th, 2012, 7:45 pm #3

Hi!I am a new puppet master and would love to hear the beginning stages advice from the more experienced. I need to start for myself and then I would like to create a team. What puppets should I go with first? How should I perform...what is the easiest way....are the CD's of the puppets voice something that is worth getting? Any advice you could give me would be amazing!!!
Check out The Fam here on Axtell. Generally, I recommend that you buy puppets in the following order
1st: boy
2nd: girl
3rd: dog
4th: man (singer)
The voices on tape are good because you can learn routines and not have to worry about everyone having mics.
Songs are the easiest way to start. www.creativemin.com is a great resource for skits and songs. The shortest skits are One Minute Manna.

Suzie
Suzie

June 14th, 2012, 8:29 pm #4

Hi Alicia,
Welcome to the Axtell forum. You've made the second most important starting points of your new puppeteering adventure.
First of course was touching base with Axtell Expressions to see what they have in the world of puppets, and second was spot landing here in the forum.
I have been doing Venting in front of people since 2007, but I still think of myself as a beginner.
These seasoned vents are great. They will help you out the best that they can. I will try and add my two cents worth as well.
Look through the long selections of threads that are posted in the forum. Some of your questions might be answered right under your nose. Otherwise feel free to post it here and we will jump on the thread and give you a helping hand up.
My first Axtell puppet was what Axtell calls Benny Bird. I have the illusion arm too. If you get the bird, the arm is a fantastic tool in keeping the bird alive.
Tony and Rick have joined the thread already. These guys are fantastic. They both along with several of the others have really been a huge help to me.
I wish you luck with your new adventure.
Axtell Expressions' whole crew rocks! The Puppets are very well made and they stand behind their product.

June 15th, 2012, 2:48 am #5

With the limited amount of information that you provided, it's a little hard to give you precise advice, so I'll make this kind of general.

Go to the Customer Service section on Axtell's, (THIS) web site. Then go into the Learning Center. There you will find a wealth of free information.

Mark Wade's book is also something you'd want to buy.

My personal opinion is to buy a puppet that you like the most first. Also, for me, a portable PA system is also a great thing to have.

June 15th, 2012, 3:07 pm #6

I would suggest thinking about the type of show you want to do before getting any particular puppets. Decide whether you want to use humans, animals, cartoon figures (like Laughin' Louie) and what sort of material you want to do... as well as considering the age group you want to aim your shows at. Not all figures work for all audiences or age groups. I have concentrated mostly on human figures because of the type of content I developed for my shows. However, I do have several shows which involve animals -- two different bears, for example. It seems unwieldy to get a number of puppets and then have no use for them in your day to day shows. So, once again, I suggest deciding on your message and your target audience and pick the figures to suit them.

Suzie
Suzie

June 17th, 2012, 10:41 am #7

My title is Suzie's Puppet Ministry and Stroytelling.
I primarily work my Puppets for Children Messages at Church.
Nursing Home Facilities, and as Greeters here and there.
I think you have to know the age group you are working with, then go with a puppet you feel comfortable with. I started out with Beck Er Bird, then as time progressed I added The Possum, Seal, Skunk, Old Storyteller (female), And Willie (female).
I think you have to make a connection to the puppet that you choose. Plus, you want to be able to grow and the puppet will need to adjust to your needs.
Magic Moments on this Website is a cool place to visit. These Vents show how they connected with the puppets Steve Axtell picked out for them at first sight.
Pick out a puppet or more that you think really catches your eye for what you have in mind. Work with your ideas and voice for that puppet before you purchase it. You may find magic in your thoughts or you may find that you can not produce the voice that you want for that puppet at that time. You may find that one puppet will give you tons of material to make skits and programs, where as another puppet may be just a one trick pony, over and over again.