New Products - More Clues Please

New Products - More Clues Please

Bart Scott
Bart Scott

August 14th, 2009, 5:00 am #1

Hey Steve,

Anxiously waiting for more clues about the new products you are releasing this fall.

Particularly interested in the Magic items you referenced.

Thanks,

Bart

Tony Borders
Tony Borders

August 21st, 2009, 6:28 pm #2

Over the years I have put new on old and loved the results. New strings on the guitar really make a difference. New paint on the bear's nose. ("Scratch my nose, it itches. No, on the inside! That's where it itches.")
New clothes on a puppet to fit a theme. New clothes on me! New background music. New versions of an old trick. (Are you STILL doing the color changing records? You have to explain what a record is! Switch to color changing CD's.)

Update your show. I used a toy Ernie puppet from a department store for the first two years of my puppetry. I can't even put my hand in it now! I've seen people who refused to change their puppets even as their talent progressed far beyond the look of the puppet. Imagine if guitarists continued to use the same guitar they first learned on! (Okay, Willie Nelson is an exception.) How would you like to go to a dentist who still had tools from 20 years ago. ("I don't need those newfangled things. Just hand me those pliers.")

You don't HAVE to get the latest and greatest. But you should consider getting something that makes your act look or sound better.

I'm really talking to myself as I write this. I have been "pruning" my garage of outdated equipment. (Yes, I still had the color changing records.) My feather flowers have been moulting. My neon silks are faded or wrinkled. My suitcase looks like it's been around the world a few times. And my ventriloquist stand is startig to lean to one side. What does all of this say to the customer? Ouch!

September is going to be a month of pruning, trimming, painting, and purchasing.

-Tony

August 22nd, 2009, 1:13 pm #3

Hey Steve,

Anxiously waiting for more clues about the new products you are releasing this fall.

Thanks,

Bart
On Facebook fanclub page I have had clues up for several months on new things in development. Some have been guessed. SO FOR THOSE OF YOU KEEPING TRACK:

1. Too Advanced -
2. More than Color -
3. POPPING -
4. SEASON - Spring Puppet Weasel & Meerkat (Bart Scott got the first Meerkat)
5. Cleansing-
6. Gimongous - Animatronic Tree (shipped the first on yesterday)
7. Sticky -

There is a Magic Trick coming out in one of the above hints soon that will be a very topical theme.

Montana's Santa - Montana Magic
Montana's Santa - Montana Magic

August 22nd, 2009, 1:15 pm #4

Hey Steve,

Thanks,

Bart
Firstly, Mediocre Magic & Ventriloquy is now The Montana Magic & Ventriloquy Co.
Secondly, I think every magician and ventriloquist, as he progresses, buys lot of items for either skill that soon end up on the shelf to gather dust.
It takes a while to determine what "fits" and what doesn't, and in doing so, we all end up with Tony Border's garage... so to speak.
Finding our comfort zone takes time, but it comes. Once you decide what fits you best, don't sit back with a sigh of relief. Find new ways to work with that particular figure or gimmick and develop new approaches and routines to use it.
The one thing I've learned from watching top performers in both fields is, "Don't spread the frosting on too thick" and, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Speaking of which, I had an interesting experience last night... I did a 30 minute magic and vent show for a six year old girl in Australia -- through Skype.
She kept insisting I was hiding things up my sleeves (I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt) or in my beard...ever try to hide a jumbo card or dove pan cake in your beard?
She had no explanation for the ventriloquism after I taped my mouth shut..